View Full Version : Is Focalin also available in Europe?

Amun90
11-09-13, 01:54 PM
Here in the Netherlands it seems to be unavailable, is this the case in most of Europe? If so, why?

doubledoub
11-16-13, 03:32 PM
I've been searching after this so much.

All I've seen is some UK company that seems to import Focalin if a UK psychiatrist orders it. I'd actually go to the UK for psychiatrist if I could expect to be able to try that medication without outrageous expenses within a reasonable timeframe. But just going to the UK to see a random psychiatrists seems too risky.

I've been on Ritalin for over a year and it's killing me sometimes. From descriptions I think Focalin has the potential to be an excellent medication for me.

Amun90
01-17-14, 04:44 PM
I've been searching after this so much.

All I've seen is some UK company that seems to import Focalin if a UK psychiatrist orders it. I'd actually go to the UK for psychiatrist if I could expect to be able to try that medication without outrageous expenses within a reasonable timeframe. But just going to the UK to see a random psychiatrists seems too risky.

I've been on Ritalin for over a year and it's killing me sometimes. From descriptions I think Focalin has the potential to be an excellent medication for me.

Ritalin works for me concentration-wise, but gives me some dirty physical side-effects. I have read about focalin (dexmethylphenidate) that it has less physical side-effects than Ritalin and wanted to try it out. However, it seems to be very rarely prescribed in most European countries. So, I have had a tough time obtaining it.

Before I request my pdoc to import it for me I have to try the other standard alternatives (strattera, modafinil etc.). If those don't work well, I might be eligible to import focalin or get a local pharmacy to produce dexmethylphenidate for me.

I'll update in a few months time. It's a pity that focalin/dexmethylphenidate isn't more widely available in Europe.

Chivalry
01-19-14, 03:55 PM
I don't think so, depending on your country you may go to a official medicines website, and you should be able to search the type of medication.

In general, the medications in Europe are very limited which is not so good.

Amun90
01-20-14, 09:50 AM
I don't think so, depending on your country you may go to a official medicines website, and you should be able to search the type of medication.

In general, the medications in Europe are very limited which is not so good.

I did some research and in Switzerland Focalin is available at most pharmacies.

Since Switzerland has many trade agreements with the EU it probably won't be too difficult to import it from there.

Also, I stumbled upon this organization that imports rare medication at fair prices. http://www.ip-pharmacy.com/ They are active in most European countries.

Hopefully this may be useful to someone.

doubledoub
02-17-14, 05:47 AM
Also, I stumbled upon this organization that imports rare medication at fair prices. http://www.ip-pharmacy.com/ They are active in most European countries.

Thank you for that link. My psychiatrist is actually fine with giving an attempt to Focalin, but he has no experience with importing a controlled (schedule A+) medication from a foreign country. He said getting the approval of local authorities shouldn't be an issue, but a Swiss pharmacy wouldn't just provide Focalin XR for a foreign prescription/approval.

I emailed IP, telling them about my situation, received a one line answer:

Unfortunately we are not able to import any ‘controlled substance’.

Has anyone encountered any other company that may be able to deal with the Swiss side of the import, and can be contacted in English?
Or has anyone got experience with importing a Controlled medication from Switzerland?

BTW if anyone interested, here is the list of Focalin XR packs approved in Switzerland.

http://compendium.ch/search/all/Dexmethylphenidat/ (http://compendium.ch/search/all/Dexmethylphenidat/)

Blackstar
02-17-14, 04:59 PM
It may not be approved to be prescribed in your country.

doubledoub
02-18-14, 05:18 AM
It may not be approved to be prescribed in your country.

Yeah, it's not approved. But my psychiatrist can get it approved for specific cases by applying for "Unique Drug Import" at the National Institute of Pharmacy.
As far as I understood, the issue is that pharmacies don't accept foreign prescriptions for controlled medication.

Blackstar
02-18-14, 11:11 PM
Yeah, it's not approved. But my psychiatrist can get it approved for specific cases by applying for "Unique Drug Import" at the National Institute of Pharmacy.
As far as I understood, the issue is that pharmacies don't accept foreign prescriptions for controlled medication.

are they willing to do that ?

doubledoub
02-19-14, 10:10 AM
are they willing to do that ?
He said getting the approval of local authorities shouldn't be an issue

In more details, I believe if the drug is approved anywhere in the EU, they can't not approve his request, at most they can suggest against it. Switzerland is not EU, but it didn't seem like he thinks that's a concern. As I wrote, he said the issue is that Swiss pharmacies don't just hand over controlled medications for foreign prescriptions. He's actively practicing in Hungary and Sweden, and he has no idea how this request should be made in Switzerland.

doubledoub
02-19-14, 10:51 AM
He said that if I can find someone who previously imported controlled medication from Switzerland, and ask them how, we may be able to work it out.

Amun90
03-05-14, 02:55 PM
He said that if I can find someone who previously imported controlled medication from Switzerland, and ask them how, we may be able to work it out.

I asked IP-pharmacy and they told me that a licensed pharmacy is able to order from them (business-to-business), but not consumers. So, I would suggest talking to your local pharmacist and let them order it for you through IP and then you buy it from them.

doubledoub
03-10-14, 07:47 AM
I asked IP-pharmacy and they told me that a licensed pharmacy is able to order from them (business-to-business), but not consumers. So, I would suggest talking to your local pharmacist and let them order it for you through IP and then you buy it from them.

I asked again, quoting your post, hoping there might have been a misunderstanding. Told them that I can get both my psychiatrist and my local pharmacist to get in contact with them. They told me that as they've already mentioned, they're not able to help with the import, they have no license to import/export controlled drugs.

doubledoub
03-26-14, 02:27 PM
Anyone knows a psychiatrist in Switzerland who treats adult ADHD and speaks English?