View Full Version : How dangerous are benzos?

calcal
11-11-13, 06:49 PM
I have been given ativan 1mg by my doc. He told me 2-3 times per week would be okay and not cause addiction but I still worry. How quickly do you become addicted? And is ativan a good choice? Are there other stronger and safer benzos out there?

What sucks is that when I have to decide when to take it then I cannot decide and then I end up not taking anything. So far I haven't taken 1 pill yet and I had the stuff for months now. This kinda kills the purpose. I rather wish I had something against anxiety which I can just take daily. But lyrica is too risky I cannot risk mental impairment or other side effects.

Abi
11-11-13, 07:05 PM
Do you have a chronic anxiety disorder? As in one that you have had for many years and does not only pop up in stressful situations?

calcal
11-11-13, 07:15 PM
Yes I have been anxious all my life already since I was 5 or 6. Always with different fears. Sometimes it was germs, then diseases, then losing things or people.

But I already tried antidepressants (celexa,remeron,wellbutrin). They didn't help against depression and also not against anxiety. And lyrica is way too scary for me. I read many times that it dumbs people down and this is something I can't risk as student.

I got the ativan against more acute anxiety though. I mean I often have this anxious depressive feeling especially at night. But I can handle this. I mean it sucks but it's not like I have to take something. I can't take a benzo whenever I have some kind of anxiety cause then I'd have to take it more or less daily.

But when it's up to me to decide when I need it then I can't really decide and then I don't take anything at all which is also stupid. The fear of becoming addicted keeps me from taking it it's a bit ironic.

Abi
11-11-13, 07:18 PM
Try Buspirone.... it takes 4 weeks to kick in.

If that fails, just take Ativan everyday. You have a chronic anxiety disorder, likely GAD with some OCDish traits. Yes you will technically become addicted, but IT DOESN'T MATTER, because you will need to take medication for GAD/OCD for the rest of your life anyway.

calcal
11-11-13, 07:24 PM
I read that buspar can cause tardive dyskinesia which is really scary. Also many people don't seem to profit from it at all. That's why I never really thought much about it.

Well, the thing is that no doctor will prescribe me benzos for daily usage. I mean even getting benzos in the first place isn't easy.
But even if I for example was allowed to take 1mg ativan daily then I'd still worry that 1mg might not even be enough for a whole day and that I might need more and more and more after a while!
I think that's pretty risky. What if the effect wears off and then you can take it and feel nothing? I read it pretty often that people report needing bigger doses after a while.

Yes I also have ocd. I was given sertraline once but then I read the leaflet and it has stuff like "cancer" lol and then I didn't dare to take it. I mean it simply mentioned that it can causer cancer. Not even which cancer. I thought that was really scary. And besides cancer it had so many other scary side effects I simply couldn't take it. And who knows if it even would have worked. The other ADs also didn't work.

BellaVita
11-11-13, 07:25 PM
I read that buspar can cause tardive dyskinesia which is really scary. Also many people don't seem to profit from it at all. That's why I never really thought much about it.

Well, the thing is that no doctor will prescribe me benzos for daily usage. I mean even getting benzos in the first place isn't easy.
But even if I for example was allowed to take 1mg ativan daily then I'd still worry that 1mg might not even be enough for a whole day and that I might need more and more and more after a while!
I think that's pretty risky. What if the effect wears off and then you can take it and feel nothing? I read it pretty often that people report needing bigger doses after a while.

Yes I also have ocd. I was given sertraline once but then I read the leaflet and it has stuff like "cancer" lol and then I didn't dare to take it. I mean it simply mentioned that it can causer cancer. Not even which cancer. I thought that was really scary. And besides cancer it had so many other scary side effects I simply couldn't take it. And who knows if it even would have worked. The other ADs also didn't work.

Buspar helped me a wee bit. But then it pooped out. Also, I had like 0 side effects from it. It seems pretty safe.

But yeah, Clonazepam owns by far.

calcal
11-11-13, 07:28 PM
Clonazepam is longer lasting than ativan right? It's once daily right?

But it also causes addiction right? Are you addicted? I don't want to be addicted I mean what if you're addicted and then run out of drugs and then totally freak out? :eek:

Maybe I could ask my doc to give me another benzo simply to be able to compare but I don#t know if he'll do that.

Abi
11-11-13, 07:28 PM
I think you are a good candidate for mindful meditation and yoga.

BellaVita
11-11-13, 07:31 PM
I think you are a good candidate for mindful meditation and yoga.

I agree. :goodpost:

calcal
11-11-13, 07:31 PM
Mindfulness? I heard about it but I don't really know if this would work for me. You try to focus on something else right? Like for example how your feet feel while walking and then try to zero out all other thoughts right? Sounds cool but I doubt that I could do that. I don't know if you can totally block out all other thoughts.

BellaVita
11-11-13, 07:36 PM
Clonazepam is longer lasting than ativan right? It's once daily right?

But it also causes addiction right? Are you addicted? I don't want to be addicted I mean what if you're addicted and then run out of drugs and then totally freak out? :eek:

Maybe I could ask my doc to give me another benzo simply to be able to compare but I don#t know if he'll do that.

I take it a couple times a day.(I split a pill in half) Hopefully getting my refill today :yes:

I think you're focusing on the wrong things. Of course my brain needs it, so I guess I'm addicted? Although I have stopped cold turkey a couple times. (Highly NOT suggested)

But you should be focused on getting better. If you fear side effects (which I can understand) so intensely, you may never get a taste of what it's like to feel a bit better.

calcal
11-11-13, 07:40 PM
But my doctor would never agree me to take benzos full time every day. No way he'd do that. I mean I also don't know if that would even be indicated. I have anxieties but it's not like I am having panic attacks every day. If you're simply anxiously depressed then I don't know if taking benzos daily would really be responsible. :confused:
And I also dont even know if benzos would really make life so much better.

Do you know ativan too? How's clona compared to ativan?

Xanax would interest me but it's even more addictive than ativan.

DelStan
11-11-13, 07:50 PM
Na Xanax you're not going to remember anything. Clonazepam, seems to be your best bet. I've never taken Ativan but I have read where people just can't stop taking it. To the point where they do some pretty irrational stuff. BellaVita I wouldn't call that addiction, I would call addiction when someone just can't wait to get that medication in their system, and when they don't have it are completely different people or withdraws.

calcal
11-11-13, 07:54 PM
Maybe I could ask for clona but I don't know if I'll get it. I mean what shall I say? That I totally want clona? What if he says no?

DelStan
11-11-13, 08:00 PM
I don't know but if they gave you Ativan they think its the best medication for you. So try it and later if you feel something bad like addiction or side effects then talk to your doc about it.

calcal
11-11-13, 08:09 PM
No I think I was given ativan cause I said that I have experiences with it. I got ativan injections a couple of times before medical exams.

I know nothing other than ativan.

When you take clonazepam then do you have to take it daily and then become addicted to it? I mean are all people who say they have been on it daily addicted? Or could it also be taken PRN?

Rebelyell
11-11-13, 08:11 PM
Benzodiazipine drugs are yes very highly addictive. My dr suggests to take them when it only gets so bad and out of hand I cant deal w it.Have you tried deep breathing relaxation exercises? Id say if you pop em everytime you get a little nervous id say yes youll be addicted in no time, if you only take them when nothing else works and here and there I think youll be ok.

BellaVita
11-11-13, 08:17 PM
No I think I was given ativan cause I said that I have experiences with it. I got ativan injections a couple of times before medical exams.

I know nothing other than ativan.

When you take clonazepam then do you have to take it daily and then become addicted to it? I mean are all people who say they have been on it daily addicted? Or could it also be taken PRN?

When you have high levels of anxiety and nothing has worked, in my opinion I think it's fine to take a benzo everyday.

Several people(myself included) do this.

calcal
11-11-13, 08:17 PM
No I havent tried relaxation stuff. But to be honest I'm sceptical of stuff like that. I mean how's this supposed to help against anxious thoughts? It's not like I'm panicky all the time. But I'm still anxious.

Rebelyell
11-11-13, 08:21 PM
If you learn how to slow down your breathing and think of being per se on a nice beach or what ever makes you happy might help you relax and not be anxious. IM NOt a know it all by anymeans just trying to give some good advice which might work or not for you.

BellaVita
11-11-13, 08:26 PM
Thought I'd mention, I take Lexapro AND Clonazepam.

Each on its own is not enough. But together = much much better.

If all all all else fails, you could always go down the bio/neurofeedback route. :)

calcal
11-11-13, 08:31 PM
I don't know if biofeedback is available to me. I'd be interested but my doc never suggested it and he's at a clinic. If they had it he would probably have suggested it. :confused:

@ Rebelyell

Does this work for you? I once listened to a tape series against anxiety. It also had a meditation tape where you were told to imagine walking through the woods and feeling great. I tried it but I can't really imagine this. I mean my life sucks and I can't simply escape into an imagination. Even while I try to imagine it I know that everything is really bad and that I have many reasons to be depressed. If my issue was endogenous depression then I could indeed have some kind of hope but my depression is also exogenous and I can do nothing about that. :(

Rebelyell
11-11-13, 08:37 PM
Yes n no, if I'm.really wound up I seem to hyperventilate and cant time my breaathing but it seems if im actually in a peaceful place the woods or in a panic situation like the fire scene I can somehow not panic lol.im prescribed the meds too besides my ssris and I worry bout this issue as well, but alot of times I just suffer because im afraid of addiction myself.

calcal
11-11-13, 08:45 PM
I dont really hyperventilate. But a few times where I had stronger anxiety I felt like I didnt get enough air. I was inhaling deeply all the time and felt oppressed. This feeling lasted a few hours. It was not like an anxiety attack which comes and then after that you feel less anxious. I don't know how to call that when you feel oppressed for hours but no acute panic attack.

Rebelyell
11-11-13, 08:50 PM
Yeah what u describe is better description.was gonna add for craps n giggles as dangerous as a 400 pound butt crack lol

calcal
11-11-13, 08:58 PM
Heh ok. :)
I'm off to bed now. Bye.

purpleToes
11-11-13, 10:13 PM
Good talk therapy + mindfulness exercise (meditation, whatever you want to call it) really put a floor on how bad my anxiety can get. My therapist taught me the exercise.

I used to take Xanax (alprazolam) PRN ("as needed") for anxiety. I was mildly anxious almost all the time but only took it when it was severe. I haven't needed Xanax at all since starting mindfulness exercise, and I don't even do it very consistently. I feel like 20 minutes of focused breathing works about as well for calming me, and about as fast as the Xanax did, minus the drowsiness.

How does mindfulness meditation work against anxious thoughts? It works by teaching you to have a different experience and response to your thoughts, so that they have less power over you, and teaching you to know what your calm center feels like to make it easier to find when you're under stress.

calcal
11-12-13, 12:53 PM
Is mindfullness related to yoga and eastern mysticism? Cause I'm not into that.

Reekwind
11-12-13, 01:18 PM
Worst case scenario one can end up with a two year long withdrawal and with being abstinent for a decade. Benzos is the only drug apart from alcohol that has a potentially fatal withdrawal.

I tend to stay far away from benzos. They can be a real life safer but fundamentally all one does is trick the brain into thinking irrational fear is real, making it worse with time.

I used to take a lot of benzos, never got any physical withdrawal symptoms when quitting though, thank the heavenzzz!!!!

Never again though... (I hope!)

addthree
11-12-13, 01:25 PM
benzos are not terribly addictive. Not like Morphine is addictive. even if your addicted you will be good in a couple of days. I was prescribed benzos for a year and stopped no problem. No withdraw or anything. Sadly enough I know a lot about addiction.

Reekwind
11-12-13, 01:31 PM
They are if taken daily without letting ones receptors rest and recover between dosing. Either you were lucky because you managed to dose just right or because you are one of the lucky few who doesn't get addicted to them.

Opiate withdrawal takes about a week, if one is addicted to a synthetic opioid with a very long half-life it could take a couple. With benzos though it takes a lot longer than that to taper off. Delirium and seizures is quite common, too.

I just want and hope that people are careful with their anxiolytics, they might seem harmless and timid but when tolerance starts rising and addiction gets one in its grip... it's no fun.

My grandmother is stuck, I know of a few others who are too. They want to quit but it's just too painful.

As an emergency aid, sure! It's fine! Once or twice a week that is but any more than that and I'd say one is stepping inside the risk zone.

calcal
11-12-13, 08:13 PM
So this means all people who have been on benzos for months are screwed?

I mean can they not simply stay on them or if needed reduce them little by little without huge problems?

BellaVita
11-12-13, 08:23 PM
So this means all people who have been on benzos for months are screwed?

I mean can they not simply stay on them or if needed reduce them little by little without huge problems?

I've been on benzodiazepines for years, and I've had no trouble getting off when I taper. Cold turkey, of course you will get side effects. But that is with just about any med.

calcal :grouphug: you are worried far too much my dear. I know it can be difficult to NOT worry, but just think once you're medicated all of those worries could disappear and you won't have to deal with them anymore. :)

calcal
11-12-13, 08:41 PM
So you think I should be on benzos full time? I really doubt that my doc would agree with this.
I mean if I knew that I could stay on the same dose and it wouldn't lose its effect then it would sound like a safe plan but what if the effect wears off and I need to take more and more?

I also dont like the thought of depending on it. What if I for example dont want to take a benzo on a certain day cause I want to drink alcohol?

Reekwind
11-12-13, 10:20 PM
I'd say that CBT is a better idea in the long run! How you go about managing your anxiety is up to you and your doctor though. :)

DelStan
11-12-13, 10:23 PM
if its full blown anxiety I believe so, because taken as needed is only waiting for the next panic attack to happen. Rather than have the medication in your system to stop that.

purpleToes
11-12-13, 11:10 PM
Is mindfullness related to yoga and eastern mysticism? Cause I'm not into that.

It comes from those traditions, but the techniques have now also been adapted to non-spiritual, therapeutic use. It has been shown to alter brain activity in beneficial ways. The benefits have been scientifically and medically validated and don't require any spiritual beliefs (nor are they anti-spiritual). I'm an atheist and a skeptic, and I find no conflict in using these exercises.

It might be most useful when you learn it from a teacher or in a class setting where you have the opportunity to discuss your experience and ask questions, kinda like tech support, but I think it's possible to benefit by learning it from books and video.

http://marc.ucla.edu/

https://www.google.com/search?q=meditation+brain

Here's a quick intro and walkthrough of the basics that I particularly like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12LjNQHfR_g

purpleToes
11-12-13, 11:40 PM
When considering the risk vs benefit, it's helpful to understand the difference between tolerance, dependence and addiction. Tolerance is a physical adaptation that doesn't necessarily lead to dependence or addiction; addiction is a behavior, which can occur with or without physical dependence. Most definitions go something like this:

tolerance - drug doesn't work as well as it used to due to physical adaptation
dependence - discontinuing or decreasing drug produces withdrawal symptoms
addiction - compulsive use of a drug for non-medical reasons despite negative consequences to self and others

Here are a few different pages defining tolerance, dependence and addiction in more detail:

http://www.whocancerpain.wisc.edu/?q=node/245

http://projects.hsl.wisc.edu/GME/PainManagement/session6.3.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/LivingWithPain/story?id=4052249 (short, with audio)

purpleToes
11-13-13, 12:17 AM
I have been given ativan 1mg by my doc. He told me 2-3 times per week would be okay and not cause addiction but I still worry. How quickly do you become addicted? And is ativan a good choice? Are there other stronger and safer benzos out there?

What sucks is that when I have to decide when to take it then I cannot decide and then I end up not taking anything. So far I haven't taken 1 pill yet and I had the stuff for months now. This kinda kills the purpose. I rather wish I had something against anxiety which I can just take daily. But lyrica is too risky I cannot risk mental impairment or other side effects.

OP, why do you wish you could take something daily? Is it because you feel you have constant anxiety that needs daily treatment, or is it because having to decide whether to take Ativan case-by-case is a problem for you? I think you really need to tell your doctor that you haven't been able to take the medication yet, and why. You may just need some official reassurance, or your doctor might offer you a different treatment. Your doctor probably won't recommend daily use except if nothing else worked.

Taking Ativan 2-3 times per week is unlikely to cause physical dependence, and probably not even much tolerance. It sounds like you're afraid that taking that first pill will be some kind of point of no return, but it really isn't.

You could try half a dose, or even less, and see how you feel. I found as little as 1/4 of a 0.5mg Xanax pill was often enough for me. That would roughly equate to 1/4 of a 1.0mg Ativan pill.

calcal
11-13-13, 09:33 AM
Hi,
for me being allowed to take it only 2 times a week is like being allowed to wear makeup only 2 times a week and rest you walk around ugly. This isn't really a solution.
I also can never really decide when do I really NEED it. I mean yesterday I felt pretty bad. But I survived without benzo. But I still felt bad. I simply wish I didn't have to feel bad so often. That's why I wonder wouldn't be it better to simply take something daily?
But then again, what if tolerance sets in? This is something I'd be afraid of cause then this means that you have to stop.

I'll take a look at the video. But I really don't see how mindfulness could help me with my depression. Maybe it's more against anxiety. For me even leaving the house during the day is painful. How shall mindfulness help there?

Amtram
11-13-13, 02:35 PM
8 years of benzos. No problems. I needed to switch to a regular schedule just recently because of increased anxiety (I'll be going through changes for at least another year. Brain surgery. Things don't settle down for two full years.) Klonopin three times a day, four if I need it. First week was rough with being tired all the time but not sleeping as well, but after that, oh, the calmness. Sweet. At some point, I hope I can go back to just the Xanax for sleep, but when you need something and it works, you go with it.

purpleToes
11-13-13, 06:49 PM
Hi,
for me being allowed to take it only 2 times a week is like being allowed to wear makeup only 2 times a week and rest you walk around ugly. This isn't really a solution.
I also can never really decide when do I really NEED it. I mean yesterday I felt pretty bad. But I survived without benzo. But I still felt bad. I simply wish I didn't have to feel bad so often. That's why I wonder wouldn't be it better to simply take something daily?
But then again, what if tolerance sets in? This is something I'd be afraid of cause then this means that you have to stop.

The reason it's not preferable to use benzodiazapines daily unless there's no alternative is because a fair number of people have an extremely difficult and painful discontinuation. Not everyone. Taking a little now and then won't cause that, but if you need something daily, there are other options that have less potential for physical dependence. Instead of going in circles again with the what-ifs, I encourage you to visit your psychiatrist again and be candid about how difficult this all is for you. If you have access to psychotherapy, I highly recommend it.

purpleToes
11-13-13, 07:13 PM
I'll take a look at the video. But I really don't see how mindfulness could help me with my depression. Maybe it's more against anxiety. For me even leaving the house during the day is painful. How shall mindfulness help there?

It helps with both. It somehow just kind of sets things right, little by little. I find it fascinating. I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, but it's just something that's easier to understand through direct experience than through intellectual abstraction. Kind of like trying to explain how a forest smells, or what the color violet looks like.

purpleToes
11-13-13, 07:29 PM
I'd say that CBT is a better idea in the long run! How you go about managing your anxiety is up to you and your doctor though. :)

Yes, my ex-partner went through an 8-week CBT + exposure therapy course for social phobia. Prior to the course, he was very limited by his behaviors to avoid social contact, such as shopping only late at night and being unwilling to see a doctor for medical care even in several emergency situations. After the course, he is able to go to the store any time of day, isn't fearful of situations where he might have to socialize, can seek medical care, and generally isn't ruled by social phobia anymore. It's been 8 years and he hasn't lost ground on that. He still has social anxiety to an extent; he isn't comfortable being assertive in most circumstances, isn't a big fan of socializing with strangers, but he's no longer controlled by fear of social situations like he was.

calcal
11-14-13, 01:38 PM
@ amtram

Why do you need brain surgery? I hope it all goes well.
Are you on the benzos because of the fear of the surgery?

@ purpleToes

I wish my problem was social anxiety and not depression and being sick. SA can be treated. There you can actually have hope. But when you're sick and depressed because of that then you can't really have hope if you can't do much about the sickness itself.

dvdnvwls
11-14-13, 07:59 PM
... you can't really have hope if you can't do much about the sickness itself.
That's OK, you don't need hope. You just need to treat your depression in a way that works. If your sickness is treatable then of course you do that too. Hope can be a painful roadblock for a lot of people - as soon as you get rid of hope, then you can get on with your life.

purpleToes
11-14-13, 09:07 PM
@ purpleToes

I wish my problem was social anxiety and not depression and being sick. SA can be treated. There you can actually have hope. But when you're sick and depressed because of that then you can't really have hope if you can't do much about the sickness itself.

I understand how you feel. Chronic illness is very difficult. You are welcome to talk about that, or anything here.

calcal
11-15-13, 08:13 PM
Of course I needed hope. Without hope you cannot live! Hope makes all the difference in the world. When you have hope you can carry on but without hope you cannot.

Amtram
11-15-13, 10:04 PM
Funny, I saw the APN today instead of my psychiatrist, and I said to her that really, the klonopin was working well during the day, but I really missed sleeping - the only thing that has ever helped me sleep is alprazolam. She starts giving me the whole concern thing about how addictive benzos are - and I'm trying not to be a difficult patient, but I've been on them for 8 years, and have no intention of stopping them, and I don't abuse them, so I don't feel I need to worry about addiction OR withdrawal.

If they were going to do something awful to me, they would have already.

Rebelyell
11-15-13, 10:45 PM
There dangerous if you dont taper off them when you decide to quit, you can have seizures, suicidal ideation s etc.

Amtram
11-16-13, 12:35 PM
If you read the literature and the studies and all, the consensus is that long-term use of benzos is dangerous. However, for some people, long-term use of benzos is lifesaving. Most of the dangers are directly related to either abusing the medications or stopping them. Taken as directed, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in the mortality rates of long-term users and controls.

calcal
11-16-13, 07:21 PM
How can you find out if you're a person who could be on benzos long-term or not?
Do you find it out by starting to take them daily and then see if you need to increase the dose after a while?

Amtram
11-16-13, 08:20 PM
Generally, I've started on one dose and adjusted it downwards. Psychiatrists tend to like you to take the lowest dose that's effective for you. And usually if they're doing what they're supposed to, you can keep a relatively stable dose.

calcal
11-17-13, 12:30 PM
Have you tried what happens if you dont take it on a day?

And what exactly do you take and how much?

Amtram
11-17-13, 02:16 PM
I've been taking alprazolam for the longest time. For sleep, not anxiety. I can go over .5mg if I'm still having trouble sleeping, and nothing's different the next day. At one point, I wanted to withdraw because I'd heard all the scary stuff about long term benzo use, and did it very slowly, but found that not only was I not sleeping, which is horrible enough, but I was really anxious. That's it. Once I decided that sleeping and not being anxious was important, and read up more about the actual consequences of long-term benzo use, all it took was one .5 mg dose and I was feeling much better.

At one point earlier, I was taking ativan for panic attacks. I did not take it daily, only when I felt one coming on. When I started an antidepressant, I stopped having panic attacks, so I stopped taking ativan. Cold turkey, no problem. It's a fairly short-acting benzo, so it's less habit-forming. I've also taken it as a muscle relaxant, and even after daily use several times a day for two or more weeks, stopping it was pretty much a non-event.

Last month, for some reason, I started having constant anxiety. I speculate that it's because of my brain healing from surgery, but whatever it was, I couldn't function. I was given klonopin, .5mg 3-4 times a day. Did that for a month. A couple of days ago, I went down to .25mg twice a day. If I'd been on it for longer, I wouldn't have been able to cut back that drastically without consequences of panic and anxiety. It's a very effective medication, but it's one of the longest-acting benzos, so discontinuation usually needs to be taken very slowly. The longer you've taken it, the more time you should spend titrating down. So I didn't need it for the long-term, it looks like, but I have a friend who's been on it for about 18 years and swears he'll never quit and have to go back to his life the way it was before klonopin.

Benzos are, in a way, more straightforward than antidepressants. They treat anxiety (and are sometimes used to stop seizures or relax muscles.) If you stop taking them, the result is that the anxiety comes back. If you discontinue them slowly, you might feel a small amount of anxiety, but if you don't need them anymore, that goes away. If you do everything right as far as tapering off them and your anxiety comes back full force, that's an indication that you should start them again.

calcal
11-17-13, 03:17 PM
Thanks for sharing.
I guess if you can really stay on the same dose without needing to increase it then this is okay but how likely is this? What if your friend is a rare case?
If I went on a benzo full time I'd be scared of discovering that they lose their effectivity and that I needed to take more for the same effect. :(

I also highly doubt that my doc would support me going on a benzo full time. I think he'd be too scared of me getting addicted.

And what would also worry me is how much does this limit you in your daily life? For example when you take klonopin then are you not allowed to drink any alcohol because of the interactions between alc and benzos? That would really bother me if I couldn't have a drink when I want to or when I can't sleep and drink something to become tired.

ntezbnggreen
11-18-13, 11:18 PM
ADD/ADHD patients often have generalized anxiety disorder or panic attacks that are unrelated to the use of stimulant based medication. I have known a number of patients that were prescribed both dex and xanax. Successfully having your doc dish out both is a tricky proposition and you may have to progress through a number of other medications before he goes there.

calcal
11-19-13, 11:03 AM
Stephen Stahl worte in his latest edition of psychopharmacology about stimulants in anxious people and he says that taking stimulants when you're anxious can be self-defeating. This is discouraging. He recommended alpha blockers as alternative but they are not available everywhere against adhd.

Laserbeak
12-03-13, 04:03 PM
Compared to the barbiturates which they largely replaced in medicine, benzodiazepines are extremely safe. Even if you wanted to kill yourself, it would be hard to do so using just benzodiazepines. When you hear of someone famous or something that died of a drug overdose and there are benzos in their system, there is also a large amount of alcohol, opiates, or other drugs too.

Tantalus
12-28-13, 05:24 PM
Benzos, while not quiiiite as effective (or freakin' dangerous :p) as the good ol' barbs, are muuuuch more effective than SSRIs/SNRIs/TCAs for all types of anxiety...and just like the antidepressants they carry dangers of their own. Of course the pro-vs-cons in your specific situation should be discussed with your doc, but, in my [humble] personal experiences and research i would strongly recommend against:

1. chronic ie. non-prn use of any benzo whose name ends in "-lam" eg. alprazolam, midazolam

2. concurrent benzos and stimulants (changed my personality and i might continue to pay for this one for the rest of my life...they do not balance each other out like it would seem)

sarahsweets
12-29-13, 08:45 AM
BENZOS have been known to save lives an alllow people to functiom where they normally would not be able to. I take an issue with fear mongering.

Benzos, while not quiiiite as effective (or freakin' dangerous :p) as the good ol' barbs, are muuuuch more effective than SSRIs/SNRIs/TCAs for all types of anxiety...and just like the antidepressants they carry dangers of their own. Of course the pro-vs-cons in your specific situation should be discussed with your doc, but, in my [humble] personal experiences and research i would strongly recommend against:

1. chronic ie. non-prn use of any benzo whose name ends in "-lam" eg. alprazolam, midazolam

2. concurrent benzos and stimulants (changed my personality and i might continue to pay for this one for the rest of my life...they do not balance each other out like it would seem)

mirandatoritess
12-29-13, 03:24 PM
Benzos are often abused in college. I think that it calms people down. They are a CIV, meaning that they are not very addictive, but it may be different for different people.