View Full Version : I'm tapering off of Clonazepam... HELP!

Jshect
11-12-13, 10:12 PM
I didn't realize how physically addictive this medication is and how hard it would be to get off it once addicted. Luckily, I am on a low dose, but it has been pure hell trying to get off this. I was on .75 mg of this medication and have tapered down to .625 or 1 and 1/4 of a pill. It was a nightmare; Upset stomach, horrific anxiety, sweating etc. Now the symptoms are getting worse. In a addition to those symptoms I now feel as though I have a near-constant fever and a little anxiety. HELP! Any words of wisdom would do.
I am experimenting when to take my dose so I have as few symptoms at work as possible. Before I would take it at night but now I take it in the middle of work so I have the brief anti-anxiety effects there. The only problem is it's harder to get to sleep at night and harder to stay alert at work. Oh man.
I am upset with my P-doc or not warning me about how addictive this med is and I am mad at myself for not thoroughly researching this med.
I have heard switching to Valium is a good idea because the half life is longer so the come down is not as intense. Has anyone tried this? Please anyone who can offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Jshect
11-12-13, 10:12 PM
If you can provide a link to any threads that talk about this, I would appreciate that as well. Thanks.

DelStan
11-12-13, 10:49 PM
Valium is like 10-15 minutes I think, but you're doing great keep it up and you will make it. That's pretty intense for such a low dose have you been taking it for a long time. I am prescribed 1mg 2x daily but I never do that most of the time I forget unless I'm really stressed. Take vitamins always eat, and stay hydrated. Good luck I hope you feel better soon

Jshect
11-12-13, 11:56 PM
What do you mean valium is like 10-15 minutes? Do you mean 10-15 hours? I've been taking it on and off for a few years now. However, I started having intense heart palpitations which triggered bad anxiety, so I started taking it every day (which I thought was safe). Pretty soon, the medication stopped working so I tried to stop taking and then the withdrawal symptoms hit.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that If you don't need it everyday, than DON'T take it everyday. Like other addictive drugs you build up a tolerance and pretty soon 1mg 2x daily will not work anymore. Only take when you are stressed.

DelStan
11-13-13, 12:35 AM
Wow, um Valium effects only last about 15 minutes. Trust me I know, there are consequences. The heart palpitation is due to the meds, or just over thinking and people have heart palpitations a lot. We just tend to flip out way easier and instantly, I know I have before.

Jshect
11-13-13, 02:10 AM
Wow, um Valium effects only last about 15 minutes.
No I mean half-life. The longer the drugs half-life the longer it stays in your system and I heard Valium had the longest half-life. Maybe it's another drug I'll check. Wow it's noticeable effects only last 15 minutes that sucks. Clonazepam seems to last for 30 minutes to an hour.

DelStan
11-13-13, 02:13 AM
Man you must be very tolerant. Because 1mg of Clonazepam lasts all day if I take it.

Jshect
11-14-13, 02:58 AM
Alright, day #1 of tapering down from .625 mg to .5. So far, so good.

purpleToes
11-14-13, 03:09 AM
Good luck!

How long did it take to stabilize at 0.625mg?

Jshect
11-14-13, 03:21 AM
I can't remember. It may have only have been 2 or 3 weeks, but it was hell, so it felt like an eternity.

Jshect
12-23-13, 05:01 AM
Wow, it's been over a month and I'm still tapering down from .75 to .625. It is starting to get bad. I am starting to really hate the drug companies and my Pdoc. I've spent $1000s over the last 13 years and really only two drugs have helped me, klonapin being one of them, and they both ended up having huge dark sides.
Right now I take .75 mg one day and .5 mg the next. So it averages out at .625. So after a month my body is still not used to only taking .625 mg.

I'm having major anxiety and depression, Occasionally I feel nauseous, occasional minor headache, no energy, but the worst is the complete inability to think. I had to do something in front of my coworkers and I f***ed it up big time. I am humiliated.

:mad:F*** you to the makers of klonapin and to my Pdoc for not warning me about the dependence or addiction these drugs can cause. I am seriously ****** that I even have to pay these drug companies for Klonapin because I have to stay on it. They should be paying me to go to a treatment center to taper off this med. I have to go to work with those symptoms.

PLEASE, if anyone has any suggestions or advice PLEASE speak up!!! Please, I am suffering.:(

Thanks

Laserbeak
12-23-13, 05:03 AM
Valium is like 10-15 minutes I think, but you're doing great keep it up and you will make it. That's pretty intense for such a low dose have you been taking it for a long time. I am prescribed 1mg 2x daily but I never do that most of the time I forget unless I'm really stressed. Take vitamins always eat, and stay hydrated. Good luck I hope you feel better soon

This is completely wrong, Valium is one of the longer-lasting benzos. The best thing to taper down on, however, is Librium (chlordiazepoxide) which is even longer lasting.

Jshect
12-23-13, 05:07 AM
This is completely wrong, Valium is one of the longer-lasting benzos. The best thing to taper down on, however, is Librium (chlordiazepoxide) which is even longer lasting.

Do you know anyone who was having difficulty tapering off of Clonazepam and switched to Librium? If you do how did they do?

Thanks.

avjgirsijdhtjhs
12-23-13, 12:23 PM
PLEASE, if anyone has any suggestions or advice PLEASE speak up!!! Please, I am suffering.:(

I don't know if this will be worth your time or not, I really don't. Sorry. And I'm not recommending trying any of them, but for curiosity's sake if you want to look into something(s) that are not physically addictive, these first two may (????????) be worth looking into:

niacinamide

taurine

And one that isn't iffy at all (half-life increaser, first-pass metabolism decreaser), since Clonazepam is metabolized by CYP3A4 (although Wikipedia says: "Clonazepam is metabolized extensively via nitroreduction by cytochrome P450[/URL] enzymes, particularly CYP2C19 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytochrome_P450) and to a lesser extent CYP3A4"):

[URL="https://www.google.com/#q=grapefruit+cyp3a4"]Grapefruit juice, and grapefruit in general, is a potent inhibitor of the cytochrome P450 CYP3A4 enzyme, which can affect the metabolism of a variety of drugs.....................................Duration of effect of grapefruit juice on the pharmakokinetics of the CYP3A4 substrate simvastatin................................etc... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP3A4)

janiew
12-23-13, 08:15 PM
Have you looked at the Ashton method? Get a 100 ml beaker and syringe with ml markers m. Crush your daily dose. Mix it in the beaker with 100ml of water or milk. Day one remove one ml of liquid and drink. Day 2 remove 2 ml. Day 3 remove 3 ml. So on.

If your pdoc won't switch you to Valium, try a direct taper. Just keep the cuts small.

Nate W
12-23-13, 09:26 PM
Janiew has good advice. Here is the info:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

Read up on it. This is probably one of the best sources available on how to taper benzos.

Sorry you are going through this. I went through something similar with alcohol and kind of know what you are feeling. It is hell, but you will be fine. The key is a VERY slow taper and a longer acting benzo that you can cut more finely (a less potent one like Valium, but properly titrated) may help. You should see a doctor as well. An addictions doctor would be best, but even a family doctor can Rx you the correct medication if they know what they are doing. And the desire to up the clonazepam dose when you get stressed will be big (like at work with your co-workers). Doing so will only set you back and you will have to push through the same dose reduction again.

Yes, many doctors don't have a clue. A psychiatrist once told me I could stay on clonazepam "indefinitely" with no ill effects. I had been on 1.25 mg a day at that point for a month for panic and I tapered against his advice because research indicated this was not safe for long-term use.

--Nate

Laserbeak
12-24-13, 01:30 PM
Do you know anyone who was having difficulty tapering off of Clonazepam and switched to Librium? If you do how did they do?

Thanks.

No I don't know anyone specific but it is generally the drug of choice to taper off of alcohol which in the case of severe alcoholism can be even worse than benzodiazepine withdrawal.

edit:

Just to add I've had long term scripts for lots of different benzos and Librium (chlordiazepoxide) is the best in my opinion and what I take now for anxiety/panic attacks, even though it is the oldest one and the first one ever discovered. I just really have to take it as needed, there is no compulsion to take it as with other more addictive benzos. Valium is just a simplification of the molecule and everything else is just randomly taking away or putting in various element atoms just to see what would happen. Whatever you do, don't take Xanax (alprazolam) that is one of the shortest acting and most addictive.

janiew
12-24-13, 02:13 PM
A slow taper can work. You can slow taper off any benzo, but it will be smoother if you can switch to a benzo with a longer half life. I've known people to taper off Xanax, which is really short.

Some people don't have a problem with physical dependence on benzos and some do. A couple of my family members who share my ADHD/OCD issues developed issues. So I avoid them, even short term.

This is not to say that everyone should.

Sending positive thoughts your way. Check out the Ashton method and know that you can use it to do a direct taper rather than switching if it's not an option.

Jshect
12-25-13, 12:38 AM
I am going to talk with my Pdoc about the Ashton method.
I may try switching to valium or I may try buying extremely small doses of Klonapin from a drug manufacturing company that specializes in making small doses so people can titrate off medications safely. Has anyone ordered any medications from these manufacturers?
The smallest dosage klonapin comes in is .5 mg. The manufacturers make 1/16th mg I read. I think I will try Valium first though. It makes sense that since the half life is up to 4 times as long as Klonapin, it will be much better to taper with. Thanks guys.

janiew
12-25-13, 01:30 AM
This is where a liquid taper / titration can work.

Check it out, my friend.

Jshect
01-06-14, 08:14 AM
Have you looked at the Ashton method? Get a 100 ml beaker and syringe with ml markers m. Crush your daily dose. Mix it in the beaker with 100ml of water or milk. Day one remove one ml of liquid and drink. Day 2 remove 2 ml. Day 3 remove 3 ml. So on.

If your pdoc won't switch you to Valium, try a direct taper. Just keep the cuts small.

I kind of glanced over this post before, but now as I reread it that sounds brilliant. taper by 1/100th of a pill per day. That's an extremely slow taper and that's what I'm going for.
Has anyone on here tried The Ashton Method? What do you use to crush your pill and how do you make sure your pill is crushed as thoroughly as possible to ensure it mixes evenly?