View Full Version : Anyone play/learn a musical instrument well?

phantasm
11-12-13, 10:17 PM
What do you play? How long have you played it?

I played the trumpet in junior high and loved being in band class. But haven't played an instrument since.

Thinking about learning something new, like the piano. Just curious what different instruments people here play, getting some ideas.

DelStan
11-12-13, 10:20 PM
I did back when I was 11 and 12, but I decided to go the athletic route.
Saxophone soprano

eats_mice
11-12-13, 10:23 PM
I play Guitar, Piano, Bass, Harmonica and a bit of drums.

BellaVita
11-12-13, 10:24 PM
Piano is fun. I highly suggest it. :D
I learn fast cuz I can play pretty decently by ear, but I don't properly play any instrument lol (I suck at reading music)

Well, I guess I should count guitar since I took lessons for a year - but I hardly remember anything. :rolleyes:

Unless you count voice an instrument lol

Hey, I have a suggestion: if you are into voice, I highly recommend Acapella as it is great fun, you usually get to work with a small group so easier to bond, and it's pretty easy as long as you have a decent voice and a good ear for singing a part on your own (everyone sings different bits - like soprano, alto, tenor, etc..)

dvdnvwls
11-13-13, 03:55 AM
Choose your instrument based on some of the reasons why you want to play. For example, if you play trumpet again you could join a band. If you play piano, most bands don't use that. If you play guitar, you can carry it with you - can't do that with a piano. Etc etc.

stef
11-13-13, 06:50 AM
Yes I play the trumpet also!

I was in band from middle school until Jr year of high school
I played again in college; quit for 15 yrs and started again in 2003.
I'm in a local band (same kinds of program as a good high school band, I think)
I've made friends there. I hadn't realised how much I missed playing. I've finally "got my sound back" (which as my family pointed out, Ross said this in Friends when he was playing some kind of keyboard...)

Fuzzy12
11-13-13, 11:12 AM
I play the piano moderately well (except that I can't keep time). I started taking lessons when I was 7-8, for about 5-6 years. That's a long time ago. After that I never played much and never regularly till recently when hubby bought me an e-piano. :)

I took lessons in playing transverse flute for about a year as a teenager. I learnt that very quickly apparently but I lost interest equally fast.

I learnt how to play the violin for 6 months, again for that stage played really well, and then promptly lost interest.

I keep buying little instruments but nothing ever sticks. I've even got bag pipes at home (though I gave up playing after the first time :rolleyes:).

The only thing I don't get bored of is the piano.

buckbeak
11-13-13, 11:43 AM
Piano! Its great. PLus, you get to enjoy the vast repertoire. Started at 7, and it has been almost 9 years since.

Learning the piano would be fun, but time consuming and hard it is hard to play it well...

But exactly what genre are you planning to go into, pop, jazz, classical etc.?

phantasm
11-13-13, 04:38 PM
Piano! Its great. PLus, you get to enjoy the vast repertoire. Started at 7, and it has been almost 9 years since.

Learning the piano would be fun, but time consuming and hard it is hard to play it well...

But exactly what genre are you planning to go into, pop, jazz, classical etc.?

I really like the idea of piano because it sounds beautiful. Probably more classical. But it would be fun to learn Billy Joel, Elton John or Jim Brickman type songs too.

phantasm
11-13-13, 04:39 PM
I play the piano moderately well (except that I can't keep time). I started taking lessons when I was 7-8, for about 5-6 years. That's a long time ago. After that I never played much and never regularly till recently when hubby bought me an e-piano. :)

I took lessons in playing transverse flute for about a year as a teenager. I learnt that very quickly apparently but I lost interest equally fast.

I learnt how to play the violin for 6 months, again for that stage played really well, and then promptly lost interest.

I keep buying little instruments but nothing ever sticks. I've even got bag pipes at home (though I gave up playing after the first time :rolleyes:).

The only thing I don't get bored of is the piano.

Whoa nelly! I didn't think of bag pipes! How did you come across those?

phantasm
11-13-13, 04:41 PM
Yes I play the trumpet also!

I was in band from middle school until Jr year of high school
I played again in college; quit for 15 yrs and started again in 2003.
I'm in a local band (same kinds of program as a good high school band, I think)
I've made friends there. I hadn't realised how much I missed playing. I've finally "got my sound back" (which as my family pointed out, Ross said this in Friends when he was playing some kind of keyboard...)

I loved how a band works, and that feeling you get when it all comes together. Cool feeling! At this point, I just want to play for myself, not for others. But I do miss the whole aspect of being in a band. Ya never know.

phantasm
11-13-13, 04:42 PM
Hey, I have a suggestion: if you are into voice, I highly recommend Acapella as it is great fun, you usually get to work with a small group so easier to bond, and it's pretty easy as long as you have a decent voice and a good ear for singing a part on your own (everyone sings different bits - like soprano, alto, tenor, etc..)

That's interesting, I never thought of that. Acepella sounds fun.

stef
11-13-13, 04:48 PM
actually i really want to learn piano! classical.
i think i already posted that somewhere

Rebelyell
11-13-13, 08:20 PM
I play guitar, have been playing since 14 havent touched one in afew years tho.

Fuzzy12
11-13-13, 08:56 PM
Whoa nelly! I didn't think of bag pipes! How did you come across those?

Edinburgh... it's just a kid's one and it sounds really v horrible if you don't know how to n play. I saw sn offer for a ukulele today. Had to really really control myself to not but it:rolleyes:

Unmanagable
11-13-13, 09:27 PM
I've failed miserably at any attempts of formally learning how to play any instrument.

But for fun, I play the djembe drum and other various percussion toys like the cowbell, maracas, tambourine, etc. I also have a Native American flute that I still leak and squeak on, but it's fun when I manage to keep the seal and make it sing. :)

I tried acoustic guitar, but that didn't take.

I can play Mary Had A Little Lamb on the piano.

I played most of "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" on the autoharp way back in the day.

I recently found an Appalachian Door Chime at a thrift shop that contained the chords/strings for the opening of "Here Comes the Sun" and I felt like a rock star each time I strummed them. lol

Oh yeah, and I play a mean stereo. Ha!! :)

Edited to add: I forgot to mention the ukelele. It's apparently much easier to learn than the guitar, but I haven't tried it yet. I just toyed around with one at a festival. Kazoos can be fun, too. :)

Reekwind
11-13-13, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I play a couple of instruments.

Guitar, drums, bass, flute, djembe, darbouka, oud and a little bit violin and piano. Other instruments too but the same techniques apply to many different instruments too so, no need to write down every single one I can play a few tunes on. ^^

I'm not equally proficient with all of them though, but atleast enough to be able to play with others. :)

Somegeezer
11-14-13, 10:52 AM
I play a lot of things. Music is my main thing. The one I spend most time doing.

My primary instrument is bass, though. Started playing that when I was 14 [21 now]. I'd already been pushing myself more into music for years beforehand, but when I got started with bass, I fell in love with the instrument, and moreso in love with music as a whole from that point.

One particularly strange instrument I know, that not many people get to play, is the steel pan. I was a part of a group of panners for a few years in high school. My favourite, most emotional gig was with those guys. and an interesting sound those instruments have, too. :D

eloradanon
11-25-13, 12:56 AM
i learnt to play the piano for about 5 years at about age 7 i started and i was learning the violin from 7yo to about 14yo. Perhaps my teachers inadvertantly realized i wasnt able to focus well in class & noticed i had a creative streak? Would that be a trait of ppl with ADD ?And same as Fuzzy, i lost interest quickly for all musical instruments except the piano, when i was younger. My prob.is ive got no "staying power" to keep AT ANY thing. Id love to know what an e-piano is, tho. I learnt to play the guitar when i left my violin & piano at my folks & ran off, headlong into the big bad world, not knowing i had ADD. All i DID KNOW WAS THAT I WAS DIFFERENT to others!haha! And iv got a menagerie of musical instruments here but i dont DO anything "with them, ie i bought a zither! I got 2 or 3guitars, a cheapie violin i picked up2play 1 time&sounded terrible, so havnt touched it since! Id love 2get a sitar , a harp and a set of bagpipes, too! But, WHAT IS THIS THING where I WANT to play music but im too tired and put it off always! It sucks and i feel add ppl might be especially gifted in these creative areas!

eloradanon
11-25-13, 01:15 AM
haha.fuzzy, i know that thing about u seeing the ukelele 4 sale & finding it hard 2 resist buying it!! Did i mention im a hoarder? OH YES SIRREE! And id love a ROOM full of musical instruments! I like BELLAVITAS idea of singing in an accapella group very much. I just dont mingle very easily. Thats not to say i dont "put on a good front" & one wud think i was quite sociable, but it exhausts me terribly & i need a few days of solitude getting over all the interactions! But, id love to play the piano again. Thats the 1 instrument i have a CRAVING to play again.

phantasm
11-25-13, 01:44 AM
Thanks for your reply Eleroandan. If I had extra money I would probably buy instruments just like you. I have a fascination with a lot of them, but no follow through. The piano is my biggest fascination thus far.

People exhaust me too.

psychopathetic
11-29-13, 08:31 AM
I enjoy playing around with harmonicas. I'm still no good with them and I've been fooling around with them for about 2 years now (very off and on).
I know a few nice songs I'm proud of...a handful of christmas songs, and another handful of simple kid songs.
But I still don't know any advance techniques with my harmonica (like bending notes).

I've always wanted to learn how to play a piano or guitar. I have a decent electric keyboard and TONS of books on how to play it, but I always get frustrated at my slow progress and give up. I'd really love to start taking lessons.

It's always been a dream of mine to be able to play an instrument though. Not professionally...just well enough that I could play it in front of others and actually feel like I knew what the heck I was doing.

DevilKisses
12-22-13, 08:16 AM
I've played the piano on and off since I was five. I often got bored and frustrated. I enjoyed playing some classical pieces. I mostly improvised on it. When I improvised I often felt dissatisfied. I never quite got my musical ideas out properly. Some of them got out, but most of them were trapped inside.

I also tried guitar a few times. It was even more frustrating than piano. I tried it when I was about eight. It didn't make any sense to me at all.

I tried again a year ago when I was offered free lessons at school. I never felt like playing any of the songs the teacher suggested. They all sounded boring and annoying to me.

It still didn't make much sense to me. I could play some chords. I just never knew how to intuitively navigate it. That meant that I couldn't improvise on it. That really sucked. I didn't really have any song ideas for guitar anyways.

I started playing accordion four months ago. I'm enjoying it more than piano and guitar. I just love playing European folk music. I couldn't do that on piano or guitar. I just feel like I can express myself better. I can get all my restlessness and moodiness out. The stuff I played on piano was too calm for that.

Musical Dreamer
12-24-13, 11:49 AM
The first instrument I took was violin. I wasn't in love with it, but I always enjoyed reading music and making sounds. A year later, I started trombone and that was the turning point. I feel like the instrument itself is fun to play with. It involves a lot of movement and coordination, as well as a good set of ears, which I have been blessed with. It was a perfect fit for me at 10. After that, I kept picking up new instruments, experimenting and teaching myself along the way.

When I went to music school, I took trombone as my primary. Studying it so much, especially the classical solos, kind of made me fall out of love with it. I liked jazz a lot, but I couldn't improvise so my options were limited. College is when I had my first guitar lessons, though. To this day, guitar is my all-time favorite. I practice more than I ever did on any other instrument. I love the ability to play all genres.

One thing I've found is that my ADD meds have made my improvisation much better. I used to get so caught up in following the changes that my ideas were cut short. I don't know how, but I have a much easier time with it now. I've even started playing jazz trombone and trumpet again.

(edit: I was never able to play piano AT ALL. I'm very musical and can play almost anything I pick up, but could never wrap my head around piano. It took me failing a mandatory keyboarding course twice and my professor mercifully letting me pass, before I gave up on it completely. Maybe I'll give it another try, now that I'm medicated.)

phantasm
12-24-13, 12:31 PM
One thing I've found is that my ADD meds have made my improvisation much better. I used to get so caught up in following the changes that my ideas were cut short. I don't know how, but I have a much easier time with it now. I've even started playing jazz trombone and trumpet again.

That's really awesome! Thanks for sharing. And welcome to ADDF :)

janiew
12-24-13, 02:58 PM
I played viola in orchestra from 6 through 12 grade. Could have had a scholarship at a major university for viola, but I couldn't imagine continuing in college and then playing professionally.

For the sensory enabled, it can be a mixed bag. Overly stimulating.

Wish I'd had piano lessons. Maybe sometime.

stillnotginger
01-05-14, 05:27 PM
Supposedly, I used to play the violin really well. Now I will admit to playing the violin all throughout childhood/teenagehood/college, but I will not say I did it "well". everyone tells me though I was "good". Its one of those, if I had wanted to make a career out of it I would have had to make it my life passion, and while I liked it (and still do) my love lies in other areas.

Part of my problem was practicing. I did not (nor do I have now) the patience to practice. At all. Blargh.

However, i've got to start practicing again, because my grandma is hitting her 90's and she keeps telling my dad over and over that she wants me and him to play (him piano, me violin) at her funeral. I really don't want to be caught unawares even though I haven't touched the thing with any regularity for over 10 years. Whoops.

This is also the reason why i've enrolled my kiddo in Suzuki lessons. I didn't start out really young (4th grade, so actually kind of late) and as a result I think part of what should have been habit (practicing) was lost on me.