View Full Version : I eat a ton / fast metabolism

BellaVita
11-13-13, 03:46 AM
So, I recently posted about my bf and his eating issues, now to share mine.

I eat too much, but I never gain weight. I am a 20 year old female, weigh usually around 115-120pounds(sometimes less like 110)...I'm 5' 4" of athletic build.

Anyway, I eat and eat and eat...And people have pointed it out and say I eat a lot which is making me a bit self-conscious. (Dad even got onto me said I need to eat less to save food.)

If I don't eat as often as I do, I feel like I'm starving. I also have GERD, which def isn't so bad now, but wondering if it's contributing to my constantly feeling hungry?

Here's what I eat on an average day:
-20 bagel bites (yes you read that right)
-2 bananas
-2 hot pockets
-2-3 bagels
-A couple plate fulls of grapes
-A massive bowl full of my special bean dip
-*Several snacks in between* (cuz I feel starved)
-Before dvdnvwls says it ( :giggle: ) yes, I drink plenty of water. Like alot.

Note: I don't get to *choose* what types of food I have available to me, as I currently live with my Dad and he decides for the house. Or else I'd eat a bit healthier.

Any ideas why I'm burning through food so fast??? Anyone else do this?

Thanks! :thankyou:

BellaVita
11-13-13, 03:51 AM
Like to add, I *have* gained weight in the past...but that was cuz' I was depressed. I don't think depression is the best way to gain weight...so yeah

But each time I've gotten depressed I have shed any weight so fast, and people have commented.

dvdnvwls
11-13-13, 03:58 AM
What kind of snacks?

BellaVita
11-13-13, 03:59 AM
What kind of snacks?

Usually smaller portions of the food listed above.

dvdnvwls
11-13-13, 03:59 AM
It sounds like your dad isn't buying any vegetables, or that he buys them but you don't eat them. If your dad doesn't buy you some vegetables, you're going to croak. :)

BellaVita
11-13-13, 04:02 AM
It sounds like your dad isn't buying any vegetables, or that he buys them but you don't eat them. If your dad doesn't buy you some vegetables, you're going to croak. :)

I eat any when he buys them, which is rare. Well, unless Jalapeņos count. :)

dvdnvwls
11-13-13, 04:12 AM
I eat any when he buys them, which is rare. Well, unless Jalapeņos count. :)
Jalapeņos absolutely count - as long as you eat ten of them at a time, without any cheese dip. :)

dvdnvwls
11-13-13, 04:13 AM
Well, you need more vegetables, and you might need more & better protein as well. What's in Bella's Super-Duper Bean Dip?

dvdnvwls
11-13-13, 04:18 AM
Guys (and gals)...

Vegetarian does not equal healthy.

Smart, food-educated, picky-shopper vegetarian equals healthy.

Hot-pockets-and-bagel-bites vegetarian equals starving (or perhaps fat and unhealthy). If you're a hot-pockets-and-bagel-bites vegetarian, then you'd better start eating meat until you learn how to be a real vegetarian.

BellaVita
11-13-13, 04:20 AM
Well, you need more vegetables, and you might need more & better protein as well. What's in Bella's Super-Duper Bean Dip?

Lol, just a couple of different sauces, jalaps, 2 diff types of beans, and some cheese sprinkled on top. :)

BellaVita
11-13-13, 04:21 AM
Guys (and gals)...

Vegetarian does not equal healthy.

Smart, food-educated, picky-shopper vegetarian equals healthy.

Hot-pockets-and-bagel-bites vegetarian equals starving (or perhaps fat and unhealthy). If you're a hot-pockets-and-bagel-bites vegetarian, then you'd better start eating meat until you learn how to be a real vegetarian.

Lol, yes I know it's not healthy.

Did you see my note at the bottom of the thread? I don't get to choose the food, unfortunately. :/ Whenever I do choose food, I have to pay with my own money...which I'm very low on...

dvdnvwls
11-13-13, 04:22 AM
Lol, just a couple of different sauces, jalaps, 2 diff types of beans, and some cheese sprinkled on top. :)
That sounds excellent - what are the sauces?

dvdnvwls
11-13-13, 04:24 AM
Lol, yes I know it's not healthy.

Did you see my note at the bottom of the thread? I don't get to choose the food, unfortunately. :/ Whenever I do choose food, I have to pay with my own money...which I'm very low on...
Vegetables are cheap. Asking your dad to buy some fresh vegetables will not be a big deal for him at all, unless you and him are not speaking right now or something bad like that. He'll make you promise to eat them so they don't go bad. So eat them. :)

BellaVita
11-13-13, 04:24 AM
That sounds excellent - what are the sauces?

Usually a couple diff types of hot sauces :D Ones that are very chunky and spicy usually. :)

BellaVita
11-13-13, 04:25 AM
Vegetables are cheap. Asking your dad to buy some fresh vegetables will not be a big deal for him at all, unless you and him are not speaking right now or something bad like that. He'll make you promise to eat them so they don't go bad. So eat them. :)

I've asked in the past. I've tried putting them on the shopping list and he ignores them.

He is not a nice guy. If I were to ask again, he'd probably punish me. (No, really.)

dvdnvwls
11-13-13, 04:27 AM
Usually a couple diff types of hot sauces :D Ones that are very chunky and spicy usually. :)
So... these are tomato-sauce type things, right? (like, they're basically tomatoes, not basically cheese or something, right?)

In that case, the bean dip is pretty much the best thing you're eating. :)

BellaVita
11-13-13, 04:28 AM
So... these are tomato-sauce type things, right? (like, they're basically tomatoes, not basically cheese or something, right?)

In that case, the bean dip is pretty much the best thing you're eating. :)

Yep.

:)

stef
11-13-13, 04:29 AM
Omg that is just not right! it's inexpensive and he should be eating some too...

don't worry about the high metabolism, actually my husband was like that until about his early 30's and he started working night shifts in IT.
It's still insanely easy for him to lose weight! he just has to stop eating pastries.

dvdnvwls
11-13-13, 04:35 AM
I've asked in the past. I've tried putting them on the shopping list and he ignores them.

He is not a nice guy. If I were to ask again, he'd probably punish me. (No, really.)
Oh. Blech. Sorry.

dvdnvwls
11-13-13, 04:37 AM
Well, if you're buying your own vegetables, that's cheap for you. The only hard part is getting to the part of the store where they are, without stopping for just a couple of other things on the way. :)

dvdnvwls
11-13-13, 04:39 AM
Anyway, don't blame your metabolism, that's not really a problem. Eating some better food somehow, will "cure" your "disease".

Fuzzy12
11-13-13, 04:49 AM
So, I recently posted about my bf and his eating issues, now to share mine.

Here's what I eat on an average day:
-20 bagel bites (yes you read that right)
-2 bananas
-2 hot pockets
-2-3 bagels
-A couple plate fulls of grapes
-A massive bowl full of my special bean dip
-*Several snacks in between* (cuz I feel starved)
-Before dvdnvwls says it ( :giggle: ) yes, I drink plenty of water. Like alot.

Note: I don't get to *choose* what types of food I have available to me, as I currently live with my Dad and he decides for the house. Or else I'd eat a bit healthier.

Any ideas why I'm burning through food so fast??? Anyone else do this?

Thanks! :thankyou:

I think in general there s nothing wrong with eating more than others as long as you can burn ot off whicj you do and as long as yoi don't eat junk. So don t feel guilty. Its good though that you are trying to analyse what you are eating.

What strikes me a bit about your list is that it doesn t seem very balanced. But then I'm not sure what some of the things on your list arr. What are bagel bites and what are hot pockets? By bean dip do you mean actual beans of some sort or do you mean a plate full of sauce like salsa? Are you getting any proteins at all? Any fibre? Complex carbs? Of not that might explain why you are burning through your food.

Actually I also don't think that you eat crazy amounts but I'm not sure what a bagel bite is.

dvdnvwls
11-13-13, 04:56 AM
Ultra-basic tips from an old ADHDer:

Carrots are good for you, you don't have to cook them, and they go bad very very slowly. :) I eat a lot of carrots. ;)
Frozen peas are not too bad at all. Just heat in the microwave.
Frozen broccoli is crap. Buy fresh only, must eat within a couple of days. Eat it raw or cooked. (to cook, chop into chunks all about the same size, and put it in boiling water for a short time. When it turns from dark green to a bit brighter green, it's probably done.)
Peppers are nice but they can be expensive up here. Maybe they're cheaper in FL.

BellaVita
11-13-13, 05:03 AM
Omg that is just not right! it's inexpensive and he should be eating some too...

don't worry about the high metabolism, actually my husband was like that until about his early 30's and he started working night shifts in IT.
It's still insanely easy for him to lose weight! he just has to stop eating pastries.

Thanks stef that's really good to know that others have the same issue. :)

Also it's good to hear "don't worry" - I do that too much.

BellaVita
11-13-13, 05:05 AM
Well, if you're buying your own vegetables, that's cheap for you. The only hard part is getting to the part of the store where they are, without stopping for just a couple of other things on the way. :)

Well, since I can't afford the other things, I likely won't. :)

Actually, that's a great tip. I had no idea vegetables were cheap. I may try to do that soon, after we get moved and situated.

Thanks dad!! (I so wish that you were! Lol)

BellaVita
11-13-13, 05:06 AM
Anyway, don't blame your metabolism, that's not really a problem. Eating some better food somehow, will "cure" your "disease".

I agree. I hope that's fully the case.

:)

dvdnvwls
11-13-13, 05:14 AM
Bella, I've heard that there are places in the US where it's hard to find fresh vegetables because there's no good food stores, or there's a store but they only sell hot pockets. :(

As long as you're living in a place where there's a real store to buy real food at, you should be fine.

purpleToes
11-13-13, 05:17 AM
Reality check! How do you know you're eating too much? You said you have an athletic build, so I'm guessing you exercise frequently and with some intensity. You could easily have a daily caloric requirement of 2500 calories a day or more just to maintain weight. I just plugged in some guesses to this Caloric Requirements Calculator (http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html) and it came up with 2700 per day! You should begin with comparing your caloric intake to your true caloric requirements. I have a feeling your dad is just underestimating how much a young, athletic, possibly still growing, woman needs to eat.

If you're taking in an appropriate amount of calories (according to physiology, not according to your dad), and you're maintaining weight and feeling healthy, there's nothing you need to change.

BellaVita
11-13-13, 05:18 AM
I think in general there s nothing wrong with eating more than others as long as you can burn ot off whicj you do and as long as yoi don't eat junk. So don t feel guilty. Its good though that you are trying to analyse what you are eating.

What strikes me a bit about your list is that it doesn t seem very balanced. But then I'm not sure what some of the things on your list arr. What are bagel bites and what are hot pockets? By bean dip do you mean actual beans of some sort or do you mean a plate full of sauce like salsa? Are you getting any proteins at all? Any fibre? Complex carbs? Of not that might explain why you are burning through your food.

Actually I also don't think that you eat crazy amounts but I'm not sure what a bagel bite is.

Thanks Fuzzy for the helpful words. :)

Hot pocket:
http://tinypic.com/r/281gcxd/5

Bagel Bites:
http://i39.tinypic.com/opryg1.jpg

My bean dip is made of: a couple different chunky salsas, 2 different types of beans, jalapeņos, and cheese sprinkled on top. :)

Hmmm....I dunno about the rest of the words you posted. :o (Complex carbs, fiber...)

Thanks for saying I don't eat crazy amounts. It's nice to hear. I need to not feel guilty, like you said.

BellaVita
11-13-13, 05:25 AM
Thanks sooooo much for the responses guys. You all are awesome!

I will respond to the rest soon, but for now I have to go to bed as sleep meds are kicking in. :)

Corina86
11-13-13, 09:50 AM
Why do you want to gain weight? You're perfectly normal. Most girls/young women I know weight less than that (myself included). However, if you really really want to gain weight, than you should simply eat more, because it doesn't seem that much to me. Bread and potatoes can fatten you up real quick and they're both cheap.

Fuzzy12
11-13-13, 10:45 AM
Hmmm....I dunno about the rest of the words you posted. :o (Complex carbs, fiber...)

Thanks for saying I don't eat crazy amounts. It's nice to hear. I need to not feel guilty, like you said.

Complex carbohydrates is basically starch. Along with proteins they are what you get your energy from. The advantage of complex carbs as opposed to simple carbs (which is basically simple sugars) is that complex carbs release energy slowly and steadily. I'm not sure about the exact numbers but I think almost 50% of your daily food intake should consist of complex carbs.

A good source of complex carbs is anything wholewheat/wholemeal/whole grain (i.e. wheat where the husk has not been removed), so e.g. brown rice, brown bread, etc. Basically, whenever you have a choice between something white and something dark, always go for the darker one (e.g. brown bread rather than white bread, brown rice instead of white rice). The good thing is that usually food that is rich in complex carbs is also rich in fibre.

Fibre is cellulose. It's a bulking agent. It keeps you full for longer and aids digestion.

I think, the reason why you feel constantly hungry is because you don't seem to be getting any complex carbs, fibre or protein.

I understand that you don't have any control over what your father buys, so that does make eating healthily a lot more complicated.

Like DVD said, vegetables are cheap. So is salad, if it's unprepared. For example, a head of lettuce is super cheap though bagged, pre-washed or readily dressed salad is rather expensive. Wholewheat products are also not much more expensive than their white counter parts (at least not in the UK).

I think, the best item on your list are the beans (and bananas). Beans are vegetarian's greatest friends. They are full of nutrients, complex carbs and proteins. It depends though on how much of beans you are eating. You will need to eat quite a sizeable amount of beans daily to get an adequate amount of protein. Do you eat eggs? They are cheap (even the free range ones) and full of protein.

I think, one of the best foods that a vegetarian (and everyone else) can eat is flax seeds. They are not cheap, especially not the pre-ground ones. In the UK, the whole seeds are quite affordable but you have to grind them. They are brilliant though, especially in your situation, because you could just sprinkle a table spoon or two of ground flax seeds on everything you eat (make sure you drink enough water though..lots and lots of it). They are full of omega 3 (ALA though, so you might still consider a fish oil supplement in addition so that you get DHA and EPA as well. Sigh...that's my one non-vegetarian transgression...) and they are an incredible source of fibre and anti oxidants. They are also a good source of protein.

By the way Bella, flax seeds might be good for your boyfriend as well, if he's trying to reduce his food intake. They will give him more energy.

They might not be readily available but I just had a look on amazon. 500g of flax seeds shouldn't be more than $10,-. I think that would last you for several months.

Oops, sorry for rambling about flax. I'm a big fan, as you can see. :o

It's also called Lin seeds by the way.

midnightstar
11-13-13, 11:11 AM
Could you get yourself stuff like apples and bananas and pears and oranges and stuff like that if you can afford it? Raisins or sultanas as well <3 :) wish i could bring you and your boyfriend to the UK and get you both a house to live in <3 :)

TygerSan
11-13-13, 11:42 AM
I seem to be having trouble coming up with a source, but I know that in some cases GERD can cause discomfort that's misperceived as hunger.

addthree
11-13-13, 12:02 PM
don't feel bad. If your not gaining weight than that is normal for your body. I eat a lot my self with a very fat metabolism. I have been told my whole life that I was going to be fat if I kept it up. I eat about 6 times/day and about 3K calories on average. i need to eat that much just to keep my weight normal. You do need some better foods. Your body must be craving something healthy.

BellaVita
11-13-13, 10:43 PM
Bella, I've heard that there are places in the US where it's hard to find fresh vegetables because there's no good food stores, or there's a store but they only sell hot pockets. :(

As long as you're living in a place where there's a real store to buy real food at, you should be fine.

There is. :) I am super excited about buying veggies now. I'm craving them.

Reality check! How do you know you're eating too much? You said you have an athletic build, so I'm guessing you exercise frequently and with some intensity. You could easily have a daily caloric requirement of 2500 calories a day or more just to maintain weight. I just plugged in some guesses to this Caloric Requirements Calculator (http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html) and it came up with 2700 per day! You should begin with comparing your caloric intake to your true caloric requirements. I have a feeling your dad is just underestimating how much a young, athletic, possibly still growing, woman needs to eat.

If you're taking in an appropriate amount of calories (according to physiology, not according to your dad), and you're maintaining weight and feeling healthy, there's nothing you need to change.

Thank you so much for this, I needed the perspective!

2700 calories a day, good! That's a big relief!

Actually, my dad pointed out that I've gotten taller. I am almost eye to eye with him now. Maybe that's why I've been so hungry!

Great info thanks again!

BellaVita
11-13-13, 10:46 PM
Why do you want to gain weight? You're perfectly normal. Most girls/young women I know weight less than that (myself included). However, if you really really want to gain weight, than you should simply eat more, because it doesn't seem that much to me. Bread and potatoes can fatten you up real quick and they're both cheap.

Cuz it seems like others are getting annoyed with me, and I thought that meant I "needed" to gain weight or something. I guess not.

Glad to hear you don't think it's that much either.(how much I eat)

Also good food items I'll have to look into getting myself some potatoes!

BellaVita
11-13-13, 11:28 PM
Complex carbohydrates is basically starch. Along with proteins they are what you get your energy from. The advantage of complex carbs as opposed to simple carbs (which is basically simple sugars) is that complex carbs release energy slowly and steadily. I'm not sure about the exact numbers but I think almost 50% of your daily food intake should consist of complex carbs.

A good source of complex carbs is anything wholewheat/wholemeal/whole grain (i.e. wheat where the husk has not been removed), so e.g. brown rice, brown bread, etc. Basically, whenever you have a choice between something white and something dark, always go for the darker one (e.g. brown bread rather than white bread, brown rice instead of white rice). The good thing is that usually food that is rich in complex carbs is also rich in fibre.

Thank you - this explanation(s) helps so much!!! I'm glad I like darker breads anyways, so I kind of luck out! :)

Fibre is cellulose. It's a bulking agent. It keeps you full for longer and aids digestion.

Ah, okay. That's cool! Thanks.

I think, the reason why you feel constantly hungry is because you don't seem to be getting any complex carbs, fibre or protein.

I think so too.

I understand that you don't have any control over what your father buys, so that does make eating healthily a lot more complicated.

Like DVD said, vegetables are cheap. So is salad, if it's unprepared. For example, a head of lettuce is super cheap though bagged, pre-washed or readily dressed salad is rather expensive. Wholewheat products are also not much more expensive than their white counter parts (at least not in the UK).

I'll need to add those to my list, then.

I think, the best item on your list are the beans (and bananas). Beans are vegetarian's greatest friends. They are full of nutrients, complex carbs and proteins. It depends though on how much of beans you are eating. You will need to eat quite a sizeable amount of beans daily to get an adequate amount of protein. Do you eat eggs? They are cheap (even the free range ones) and full of protein.

[B] Yay beans! :yes: I eat quite alot. A huge bowl full. No, I don't eat eggs. They give me the runs. :o

I think, one of the best foods that a vegetarian (and everyone else) can eat is flax seeds. They are not cheap, especially not the pre-ground ones. In the UK, the whole seeds are quite affordable but you have to grind them. They are brilliant though, especially in your situation, because you could just sprinkle a table spoon or two of ground flax seeds on everything you eat (make sure you drink enough water though..lots and lots of it). They are full of omega 3 (ALA though, so you might still consider a fish oil supplement in addition so that you get DHA and EPA as well. Sigh...that's my one non-vegetarian transgression...) and they are an incredible source of fibre and anti oxidants. They are also a good source of protein.

Wow! Thank you for all of the helpful info on Flax seeds! I think I'll ask for some for Christmas. :) That's a really good idea. I've tried some before, like on top of salad and gravy, it was delicious. Fish oil...hmm lol. I've tried that in the past but it made me smell fishy. Maybe there's some that don't do that.

Fuzzy you are so smart, thank you so much you have no idea how grateful I am for your post!!! :thankyou: :) :grouphug:

By the way Bella, flax seeds might be good for your boyfriend as well, if he's trying to reduce his food intake. They will give him more energy.

I'll let him know! I *know* he has flaxseed at his house. He should start eating it! :)

They might not be readily available but I just had a look on amazon. 500g of flax seeds shouldn't be more than $10,-. I think that would last you for several months.

I appreciate you looking up the cost, cool that's not so bad.

Oops, sorry for rambling about flax. I'm a big fan, as you can see. :o

No need to be sorry, all of that was extremely helpful!!!

It's also called Lin seeds by the way.

My answers are in bold in the above quote. :)

BellaVita
11-13-13, 11:32 PM
Could you get yourself stuff like apples and bananas and pears and oranges and stuff like that if you can afford it? Raisins or sultanas as well <3 :) wish i could bring you and your boyfriend to the UK and get you both a house to live in <3 :)

I don't know if I can afford both fruits *and* veggies, but I can try. :) Thanks for the food suggestions! Especially raisins mmm I used to feed those as a treat to my Chinchilla and used to eat some of his treats as well hehe. :D

And thanks for the sweet comment. :)

I seem to be having trouble coming up with a source, but I know that in some cases GERD can cause discomfort that's misperceived as hunger.

Thank you for this Tyger. That's very interesting! I bet that is contributing to my hunger issues, as a lot of time I'm STARVED when I first wake up, but it might just be all of the acid causing that feeling. And if I wait too long, I throw up. Yuck.

don't feel bad. If your not gaining weight than that is normal for your body. I eat a lot my self with a very fat metabolism. I have been told my whole life that I was going to be fat if I kept it up. I eat about 6 times/day and about 3K calories on average. i need to eat that much just to keep my weight normal. You do need some better foods. Your body must be craving something healthy.

Oh wow! Yay, I'm not alone. Thanks for sharing.

And yes, I will see if I can buy some of my own veggies with the money I have. I really want to.

purpleToes
11-14-13, 01:08 AM
To my taste, frozen broccoli is just as good as fresh, if you don't overcook it. Frozen veggies are so convenient and don't go bad quickly. For fresh veg, I love carrots and cabbage for their versatility and their ability to survive months of neglect in the fridge.

dvdnvwls
11-14-13, 01:39 AM
To my taste, frozen broccoli is just as good as fresh, if you don't overcook it
Maybe the stuff I bought was just a bad batch or had gotten old... I might try again some day.

dvdnvwls
11-14-13, 01:42 AM
... a lot of time I'm STARVED when I first wake up, but it might just be all of the acid causing that feeling. And if I wait too long, I throw up.
I have had something maybe a bit like this... and guess what... it was only after eating a lot of poor-quality food/mostly bread/not enough vegetables. Hmmm...

BellaVita
11-14-13, 01:50 AM
To my taste, frozen broccoli is just as good as fresh, if you don't overcook it. Frozen veggies are so convenient and don't go bad quickly. For fresh veg, I love carrots and cabbage for their versatility and their ability to survive months of neglect in the fridge.

:thankyou:
Hmm okay I need to start a list lol.

-Frozen/raw broccoli
-Frozen/Raw carrots
-Potatoes
-Cabbage
-Lettuce

I can probably afford most of that.

-*Flaxseed for Christmas :)

BellaVita
11-14-13, 01:52 AM
I have had something maybe a bit like this... and guess what... it was only after eating a lot of poor-quality food/mostly bread/not enough vegetables. Hmmm...

Weird. Maybe you're on to something...

Do you also have GERD?

dvdnvwls
11-14-13, 01:54 AM
Raw carrots are better than frozen in every way, because raw carrots last a long time anyway, and you can eat them raw - just pull one out of the fridge, wash it, and eat it. Can't do that with frozen ones. :)

Don't get a lettuce unless you already have a plan for exactly how and when you're going to eat it, and within a few days. Lettuce goes bad fairly quickly.

dvdnvwls
11-14-13, 01:54 AM
Weird. Maybe you're on to something...

Do you also have GERD?
No, I don't.

Corina86
11-14-13, 04:50 AM
Don't forget: whole-wheat rice, beans, green beans (delicious with garlic!), peas and lintil. These are also inexpensive, tasty and have lots of protein (except the rice, but that has fiber). Also, you might consider easting some fish, some nuts (fresh, not fried) and/or some fresh oil (olive oil maybe?)- these are not so cheap, but your brain needs the non-saturated fats.

dvdnvwls
11-14-13, 05:36 AM
Lentils - dry ones - great idea if you're ready to actually cook something. :)
You can get canned lentils too - I guess they'd be fine.

Blackstar
02-25-14, 05:26 AM
have you tried skim milk?