View Full Version : St. John's Wort

of_two_minds
11-13-13, 04:15 PM
This isn't particularly about ADD.

My mom told me a few days ago that she started taking St. John's Wort. She asked me if I had heard of it--of course, I had. She continued by describing the purported effects. My wife and I told her if she wanted to take it she should inform her doctor and make sure to get a reliable brand.

Anyway, I think it's having an effect on her. I normally go days, a week or more sometimes, of no contact with her. She lives 240 miles away and I'm not much of a communicator. Neither is she.

She spent the past weekend with us and told us about the St. John's Wort on Saturday. I noticed that she was a lot more energetic in how she walked (she's 79 and sometimes uses a cane).

She called me on Monday to say she arrived home safely, and talked to me about her drive (she drives herself).

She called me three times at work yesterday, and sent an email.

She called me twice today at work.

At some point during all this it occurred to me: Could this be the effect of the St. John's Wort? Honestly, I've had more contact with her in the past four days than I've had in the past four months.

She does have a bit of generalized anxiety, and I would suspect a strain of ADD also.

DichotOhMy
11-16-13, 10:18 PM
In my experience, SJW did absolutely nothing for me in treating depression or ADHD symptoms for that matter. You are correct that the brand you choose is important, as many makers do not standardize for hyperforin and use lesser starting plant material when it comes to the hypericin. Perika is a known, high-quality brand that is standardized and oft-cited in SJW studies.

From what I've gathered, SJW isn't reported to have a significant benefit for anxiety and scientific studies don't identify a therapeutic benefit for it beyond mild depression.

MX2012
11-16-13, 11:30 PM
This isn't particularly about ADD.

My mom told me a few days ago that she started taking St. John's Wort. She asked me if I had heard of it--of course, I had. She continued by describing the purported effects. My wife and I told her if she wanted to take it she should inform her doctor and make sure to get a reliable brand.

Anyway, I think it's having an effect on her. I normally go days, a week or more sometimes, of no contact with her. She lives 240 miles away and I'm not much of a communicator. Neither is she.

She spent the past weekend with us and told us about the St. John's Wort on Saturday. I noticed that she was a lot more energetic in how she walked (she's 79 and sometimes uses a cane).

She called me on Monday to say she arrived home safely, and talked to me about her drive (she drives herself).

She called me three times at work yesterday, and sent an email.

She called me twice today at work.

At some point during all this it occurred to me: Could this be the effect of the St. John's Wort? Honestly, I've had more contact with her in the past four days than I've had in the past four months.

She does have a bit of generalized anxiety, and I would suspect a strain of ADD also.

Hi of two minds:

I took SJW during my late 30s into my 40s for depression. I found it useful, it took off the edge of the recurring depressions. It kept me from going to deep into the depression. But, I stopped using it because I felt it was becoming less effective and creating side effects. I do not feel I suffered any ill effects from using SJW.

But when I read that your mother was 79 and that she has begun calling you and emailing you more often -- here is what I thought.

--any medication may affect an older person differently than a younger person, as DOM mentioned, the family doctor should be aware of her OTC medications.

--the increase in communication may stem from something entirely different -- I can speak for myself and from observing my mother -- as we age, we see our mortality on the horizon, we want to make sure our loved ones know we care about them, we want them to know something of us....

Take care.