View Full Version : violence in children with adhd

jo0384
11-14-13, 02:27 PM
My 11 year old son recently started secondary school and has been in alot of trouble I am at my wits end I don't know where to turn for help. His Dr has now referred us to Social Services and also said any acts of violence should be reported to the police. Is there any help out there for parents?

ginniebean
11-14-13, 04:23 PM
Could you be more specific? It's hard to know what to say with such a very general question. Context helps a lot. What does he say?

Modafinilguy
01-06-14, 11:54 AM
Police/ social services?

Unless the violence is extreme, your doctor is a nut.

Has he caused serious physical harm to anyone else?

Daydreamin22
01-06-14, 12:04 PM
Just make sure that he is empathetic. The more empathetic the better. I think if he's not empathetic that is absolutely the number one concern. You can't instill it n a later age. It must be done asap.

Modafinilguy
01-06-14, 05:27 PM
While I agree that empathy is a wonderful human trait, I disagree.. I mean its relevance depends on the behavior. Unfortunately a lot of people in society, have a fairly limited amount of empathy.

It really depends on just what this kid is doing. Without more info, we have no idea.

ccom5100
01-06-14, 06:25 PM
ADHD in itself does not make a child violent. However, some adhd kids do have other conditions that can cause violent behavior. What type of doctor are you discussing this with? I would request a full neuro-psych evaluation to get to the root cause of his violent behavior.

dvdnvwls
01-06-14, 06:27 PM
My 11 year old son recently started secondary school and has been in alot of trouble I am at my wits end I don't know where to turn for help. His Dr has now referred us to Social Services and also said any acts of violence should be reported to the police. Is there any help out there for parents?
"Out there" is a very broad area. :)

What does it mean that you've been referred to Social Services? Does that mean his regular Dr refuses to see him any more? Or is Social Services a source of extra help?

When the Dr advises reporting to the police, this makes me think something very serious must be going on, or else the Dr is an idiot. Does your son attack you, or other family members? Is he injuring others at school or elsewhere? Is he perhaps becoming involved in gangs, crime, etc?