View Full Version : Hypomania Real-Life Footage

BellaVita
11-15-13, 03:56 PM
I made this video to hopefully help inform others about hypomania, and to give this community the chance to see, up close and personal, the "textbook" symptoms in a real life situation.

In this video I am experiencing mild hypomania, and also keep in mind I was(and still am) under the influence of sleeping pills and benzos. (to help calm me.)

I understand the video is long, so if you want to skip: the most informative parts are at the beginning and towards the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34pgoxqusYQ

Please keep in mind that this *is* a personal video, when commenting. :)

But all discussion of hypomania, symptoms, any questions, etc. are all welcome. :)

Fuzzy12
11-15-13, 04:00 PM
Bella I only saw about a minute or so because my connection isn't great. Uggh... will watch it later. You really have a lovely voice though! !:)

BellaVita
11-15-13, 04:16 PM
Bella I only saw about a minute or so because my connection isn't great. Uggh... will watch it later. You really have a lovely voice though! !:)

Thanks for watching. :)

aww thanks :D

I thought I sound annoying in the vid lol

Lunacie
11-15-13, 04:47 PM
I've never been around anyone in a manic state. You seem very "speedy" but not "grandiose."
Ha, it almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about, eh?

I was getting tired and dizzy watching that - but I'm sick and was already feeling tired and dizzy. :umm1:

BellaVita
11-15-13, 04:55 PM
I've never been around anyone in a manic state. You seem very "speedy" but not "grandiose."
Ha, it almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about, eh?

I was getting tired and dizzy watching that - but I'm sick and was already feeling tired and dizzy. :umm1:

"Speedy" lol - good term. Except if I'm going to a pharmacy to pick up my adderall and they think I am acting speedy. :scratch:

Sorry it made you dizzy. :( And sorry you're sick! :grouphug: Hope you get well soon.

maybe I should put a warning before the vid that it may induce dizziness. :)

When hypo, I pace around alot - anywhere my feet take me...while mind is going off in diff directions - and also do quick jerky gestures without thinking often when I'm hypo.

Lunacie
11-15-13, 05:10 PM
When I'm feeling speedy - what I call having the jitters - I have a horrible
time using the keyboard. My fingers all feel like thumbs - with minds of
their own that hit whatever keys they want to instead of the keys my mind
is telling them to hit. And I rock, whether I'm standing or sitting, I rock.
Have even done this laying down in bed. But I've never been a pacer.

Funny how there is so much overlap in symptoms between these mental
disorders, eh?

ana futura
11-15-13, 05:42 PM
I'm a pacer but not like that. Usually I only pace when I'm on the phone. Sometimes I get urges to get up and walk to another room, but I don't know why. I might make a couple loops around the house but then go back to my chair. It's more like a "fidget".

Would you be pacing to that extreme even if you weren't making the video?

Your voice does sound a lot like mine does when I'm hyper- a lot of repetitive jabbering, different ways of talking about the same thing. I know a girl with BP 1 and her voice is very distinct, and there's always 10,000 ideas coming out at once and none of them are related or really relevant to the topic at hand. It's almost impossible to follow her. And the grandiosity is quite obvious.

The sleep thing is something I really can't identify with, even though I have a sleep disorder (dsp). I do have nights with very little sleep, but only when I am extremely anxious about something in my life- like a late assignment. Once I get my brain to shut up I have no trouble staying asleep.

When I'm having real difficulty with sleep I'll wind up finally falling asleep at 5 am, but then I'll stay asleep as long as the outside world will let me (usually about 2pm)

I don't think I've ever gone longer than 24 hours without sleep- and when I do all nighters it's because I'm working on overdue homework. I never do that unless I really have no choice- I have to drink tons of coffee to pull it off.

ana futura
11-15-13, 05:47 PM
When I'm feeling speedy - what I call having the jitters - I have a horrible
time using the keyboard. My fingers all feel like thumbs - with minds of
their own that hit whatever keys they want to instead of the keys my mind
is telling them to hit.

I have the keyboard thing too. It's anxiety related for me.

Lunacie
11-15-13, 05:57 PM
I have the keyboard thing too. It's anxiety related for me.

Yeah, the fidgets and the jitters are also anxiety related for me. Changes in
barometric pressure will make me jittery/fidgety, and may give me a migraine.

I know sometimes I have to get up and go check on something at the other
end of the house, maybe wander around a little bit, but then go back to
the computer. I hate using the phone, but haven't ever paced when I was
forced to do so.

addthree
11-15-13, 06:04 PM
Do you have anything to focus your nervous energy on?
I think that focusing this energy on a task especially a creative one would give you an outlet. Do you paint or draw when you get like this?

Lunacie
11-15-13, 06:23 PM
Do you have anything to focus your nervous energy on?
I think that focusing this energy on a task especially a creative one would give you an outlet. Do you paint or draw when you get like this?

Are you asking BellaVita, or anyone?

I cannot settle to a task when I have the jitters or fidgets. Sometimes an
activity is helpful, going for a walk, or mowing the yard. But I'm usually not
fit to be seen in public because I snarl at people who speak to me.

Rebelyell
11-15-13, 06:53 PM
The way your camera was moving all fast n jerky thats how I am or see things most of the time, especially if im anxious overwhelmed angry or nervous or in trouble.nice indoor pool by the way and excellent way to show how its like! You sound very hyper and pressureed by way your talking not to sound like an ******* or anything.

ana futura
11-15-13, 06:54 PM
I actually can't be creative when I'm hyper (which is not the same as hypomania)

When I'm feeling extra restless and fidgety the only thing I can do to calm is something physical- like going for a walk or bike ride.

I'm only able to create (productively) when I am already calm.

I wonder if that's an ADHD vs BP thing?

Rebelyell
11-15-13, 06:59 PM
I cant focus w out meds, thats how agoraphobia feels like the way camera was all over the place, you feel like your spinning and are gonna lose it.if it wasnt for ssris id probably be stuck in my room.

Leeleebug
11-15-13, 08:01 PM
Hmm this reminds me of how I fell after my add meds wear off and I feel more energized? Almost speedy and can't sleep for nothing. Sometimes just stay up until the morning time. Try to go thru with my day. Might take morning dose. By night time my meds wear off and I am sleepier.
I find that what helps me calm down is by reading or staying on Internet. I can sit for hours at night time. But it calms my anxiety and helps calm and center my focus and mind.
Is this comparative to anyone? I know my dosage is taken early (7am) and is only 35xr

Leeleebug
11-15-13, 08:28 PM
I have never had mania episodes before medicine or anything and have never had bipolar symptoms. Just wondering if maybe I have very subtle symptoms and the adderall brings it out?

fracturedstory
11-17-13, 09:32 PM
What's George W Bush doing in your house?

You remind me of a watered down version of my sister when she is hypomanic. She's actually started to calm down more as she is focused on putting this exhibition together.

I tried making a video when I was manic, like really talking speedily for a full 11 minutes. But when I watched over it I didn't looked as manic as I felt. I don't know if I want to put that video up. Like you I always think about taking a better video, plus I had an English accent. I'm not English nor have I ever been to England.

I was going to say other stuff but forgot.

I run around the house like that too except I kind of start dancing or chasing cats or endlessy say 'Bear, come here! Come here!' to my dog without doing much more than that, to his disappointment.

What are hearing voices like? I thought I was hearing them last night in between all the anxious and depressed thoughts I was having. And is thinking there's some strange man sleeping on the couch when it's really your sister a hallucination or just my mind playing tricks on me? Either way I think it's anxiety.

Now I'm thinking to people that don't know much about bipolar would think how you were in the video was just your personality. Because I've known people like that but I guess it's how they always are. That kind of fascinates me, that they can stay the same all the time. And they do get tired and angry but not like us.

I'm probably not making much sense. Having thoughts in head beside 'I hate my life' is making it harder to know what to write.

mctavish23
11-18-13, 01:38 AM
Bella,

I totally LOVE you; with or without hypomania (or anything else). :D

u r welcome :cool:

PS

Made ya look :yes:

BellaVita
11-19-13, 11:34 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys! :grouphug:

I have been super hyped/distracted and whatnot due to this but am beginning to calm down.

I went into a rage for about a day and a half during this episode and that was horrid. Hasn't happened in a while.

Reading through comments now.

Rebelyell
11-19-13, 11:39 PM
As long as ya didnt kill anyone u is good:)

MeepMeep
11-27-13, 07:01 PM
You have a nice voice.

BellaVita
11-27-13, 07:03 PM
You have a nice voice.

Awww thank you :grouphug:

MeepMeep
11-27-13, 07:44 PM
No prob :)

Interesting video, in the past when I've noticed people acting similar I've always wondered "what's going on here."

There's a lady at work who is like this pretty much all the time.

Ask her the simplest of questions, a intense flurry of ramblings is what I receive. Nothing really matches up, it's complete randomness. I always wondered why she behaves like that...

I've learnt something today :goodpost: