View Full Version : Strattera- felt it the first day??

high_voltage
11-16-13, 09:55 PM
Hi Everyone!

I started Strattera today, 40mg once daily. Took as directed in the morning and experienced some nasty nausea for about an hour or so. After that, I felt like I had a good coffee buzz- felt focused and mentally "there" during a day long meeting I had to attend. I was able to deal with the random thoughts and push them away without my entire mind going off on a tangent. I did feel somewhat "high" all day though, but more in a 'caffeine high' kind of way than feeling drugged.

The thing is... I heard that Strattera is supposed to take a while (like a few weeks) to start really working. Perhaps it just varies from individual to individual??

Also I am directed to up the dose to 80mg on Tuesday. Yee haw? I enjoyed the focus today but holy cow, twice as much? I guess I'll trust my MD on this one. IF it doesn't work out, she said we can try something else. :)

dvdnvwls
11-16-13, 10:14 PM
It sounds like you are one of the people for whom this really works.

The time till effectiveness is said to vary from one individual to another, so I guess you're at one end of that spectrum for sure. :)

high_voltage
11-17-13, 12:11 AM
Well that's interesting! Lucky me, I think!? We will see what happens!

DesperateMe
11-22-13, 01:03 AM
Same here. Doc put me on Straterra today and noticed similar if not almost identical symptoms 30 minutes after taking the pill. Kind of reminded me of Ritalin without the tension issues that gave me. Hope this works.:D

jman05
11-22-13, 09:45 PM
I'm happy for you. I also got that caffeine high feeling you described. Which was amazing because it's not a stimulant, but made my brain feel like I was on one. It took me like 3 weeks though.

DesperateMe
11-22-13, 11:20 PM
I posted this in another forum but now I have bad case of cold and achy legs. Will this pass? I am prehypertensive and the doc said he will not put me on a stimulant but the symptoms associated with full blown high blood pressure seem to be showing itself. Strattera at this moment definitely seems like a stimulant to me the way it is acting.:scratch:

high_voltage
11-22-13, 11:51 PM
I posted this in another forum but now I have bad case of cold and achy legs. Will this pass? I am prehypertensive and the doc said he will not put me on a stimulant but the symptoms associated with full blown high blood pressure seem to be showing itself. Strattera at this moment definitely seems like a stimulant to me the way it is acting.:scratch:

Hey there. I've been feeling pretty cold sensitive too and was wondering if anyone else had this effect. Hmmmm!!! I have a follow up with the doctor

The caffeine high feeling did subside, and I had one of the best weeks at work that I have had in my entire career. I am so glad I am on medication, I feel like I can finally work on becoming the person I am meant to be without a huge struggle just to organize my thoughts!

DesperateMe
11-23-13, 12:14 AM
I am so glad I am on medication, I feel like I can finally work on becoming the person I am meant to be without a huge struggle just to organize my thoughts!

Exactly! When I was on Ritalin 4 years back that's exactly what I said to myself. Although a few years ago I started having chest tightness and collapsed at work one day when I overdosed on coffee and was just ramping up my meds. A few days after that I had a huge anxiety attack on the freeway and had to pull over to collect myself. So lets see. I really hope this Strattera works better for me.

DesperateMe
11-30-13, 02:07 AM
I thought everything was well the first couple days but after a week of constant and increasing side effects I have no choice. I am going to see my doctor sooner rather than later. This stuff is just weird.

Aside from the constant side effects (I am hitting at least half of them on the list) my ADD symptoms seem to be unchanged, maybe even worse at times. I am even more moody and now depressed unlike before.

Today I read my son a book before bed and I ended up starring into space for a couple minutes. Spaced out.

I guess it's possible it is not working for me. But I will see what the doc has to say.

At this point Ritalin seemed to be the more effective med. We will see. Maybe I can try Adderall or something.

spacewoman
12-16-13, 06:26 PM
I just started Straterra on Friday, and I felt it the first day too. I noticed I was thinking things I normally would have just blurted out, my memory was sharper, and I was able to read better (I was reading high interest material, though).

3 days later and I'm still feeling these positives.

Side effects are mainly urinary weirdness and insomnia.

Better response than expected and much sooner too!

ADHDAnxiety
12-18-13, 06:47 PM
After having a not so good experience with Adderall, I was feeling discouraged. My psychiatrist started me on 18mg Strattera yesterday, gradually increasing 25,30,up to 60 every 5 days.

I have to say, I'm feeling a little bit encouraged. From day 1, yesterday, I have been feeling better in terms of my ADHD symptoms and general frustration/anxiety. Just a better sense of wellbeing. My fingers are crossed. It doesn't give me the "kick" that Adderall gave me, but I don't think it was good for me---another positive side, I don't think I am getting any side effects so far.

spacewoman
12-18-13, 09:06 PM
That's great, ADHDAnxiety!

I bumped up to 40mg today. My sleep has been better, though I am waking earlier than usual in the morning.

Overall, my symptoms, though not gone, have been improved, and this has been a rather productive week at work, overall. I feel more motivated to follow through on ideas and finish tasks without starting other tasks. My moods have been more stable. I've noticed that things that generally give me that awful pit of the stomach anxious feeling (loud noises, my husband's expressions of soreness/pain, yelling, my toddler's whining/crying, etc.) hasn't had the same impact, like I'm feeling less sensitive.

No major side effects here either!!!

ADHDAnxiety
12-26-13, 09:38 PM
That's great, ADHDAnxiety!

I bumped up to 40mg today. My sleep has been better, though I am waking earlier than usual in the morning.

Overall, my symptoms, though not gone, have been improved, and this has been a rather productive week at work, overall. I feel more motivated to follow through on ideas and finish tasks without starting other tasks. My moods have been more stable. I've noticed that things that generally give me that awful pit of the stomach anxious feeling (loud noises, my husband's expressions of soreness/pain, yelling, my toddler's whining/crying, etc.) hasn't had the same impact, like I'm feeling less sensitive.

No major side effects here either!!!

Just an update here. Day 10 - I finished the last 25mg dose, starting 40mg tomorrow so thanks for your info on the 40mg for you. No side effects so far except maybe a little bit of a shorter fuse in terms of temper. Definitely noticing less anxiety and a little bit more focus which is extremely encouraging!