View Full Version : concerned about addiction to vyvanse

hurricane630
11-16-13, 10:39 PM
Hey everyone, I was recently prescribed 80mg vyvanse(started 60 but has been increased to 80) and 30mg adderall. I know both are known to be addictive and that is my concern. I generally take the vyvanse 3-4 times a week(at 8am for class) and adderall 2-3 times a week(at 5pm to study) and usually I do not take it for work on weekends. I notice a huge difference in class and studying on it, but I also notice a HUGE difference in my personality. I am much more talkative, much more engaging with people, more confident, and I am usually in a better mood. when I'm not on the meds, I'm not in a bad mood, but I'm usually just "blah" very laid back. I don't talk to people much unless their my friends, I don't try to interact with people, and I WILL not ordinarily talk to someone I don't know. So since I noticed this positive effect while on it, I decided to try it at work today, because usually I dread being there and just want to leave asap. So I took it and what a difference, i was more energetic, more friendly to customers, and even offered to stay late and help out(never done that in the 2 years I've been there lol). So now I'm considering taking it more often(5-6 times a week) since I'm in a better mood, and it will put me in a better mood at work as well.

I mostly read vyvanse and adderall doing the COMPLETE opposite, so I was kinda shocked by this. but why I am concerned is because while I realize this is medication I'll be taking for a LONG time I don't want to feel dependent on it(maybe that's my pride talking). and also since I've never done any drugs, I'm curious if this feeling is like a "high" since I'm new to the drug. I don't want to get used to it and lose it and become bitter and resentful that it has gone away. So my main question is, is this normal? is it normal for me to notice such a drastic difference(positively) in my personality and also how I feel at work??

Again sorry for the length, but I appreciate the replies and help. Just a concerned newbie.

dvdnvwls
11-16-13, 10:58 PM
There are two potential things going on:

1. This medication works fine for you and that's exactly what it's supposed to do

2. This medication works fine for you but the amazing feeling might be just part of a "medication honeymoon" that won't last long.

If you have ADHD that's bad enough to need medication, then of course you depend on your medication. That's what it's for - you're supposed to depend on it.

Addiction is completely different. Never, ever, even once, take even a tiny bit more than your doctor recommends. That is the best and easiest way to prevent addiction. If you find yourself wanting more and more, taking extra, or anything like that, then you need to rush to your doctor with your pill bottle in your hand saying "I need help, I think I'm getting addicted". If you have no trouble staying at the doctor's recommended dose, then you're fine.

Nicksgonefishin
11-16-13, 10:59 PM
Yes. This isn't addiction. Adhd affects all aspects of life not just school. I'm on vyvanse mostly for the positive social interaction. I'm able to focus and pick up smaller social cues that i would miss otherwise. You will find that medication "breaks" are becoming a thing of the past.

hurricane630
11-16-13, 11:13 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it guys.

How long does the "medication honeymoon" usually last?

Nicksgonefishin
11-17-13, 01:14 AM
Depends on the person.

The way you are medicating with breaks you get a honey moon every time you come back from a break.

Continued use for me the honey moon phase only lasted 2 weeks. But I quit smoking so there is another variable there to account for.

sarahsweets
11-18-13, 06:24 AM
You are dependent on glasses or dependent on insulin. Its no different being dependent on adhd medication.

InTransit
12-01-13, 10:11 AM
Thanks dvdnvwls, Nicksgonefishin, and sarahsweets. Great question hurricane360. I had some of the same questions. I am battling in my head necessity vs. gluttony vs. quality of life vs. guilt vs. as my life day to day operations in most facets have improved. I dont know what threshold exists for more improvement vs. the above. My first thought is I have every right to be the best I can be after such long time of not previously having the tools/seeing a doctor to reach my potential. My second thought the battle with the above.

Nicksgonefishin
12-01-13, 11:01 AM
Thanks dvdnvwls, Nicksgonefishin, and sarahsweets. Great question hurricane360. I had some of the same questions. I am battling in my head necessity vs. gluttony vs. quality of life vs. guilt vs. as my life day to day operations in most facets have improved. I dont know what threshold exists for more improvement vs. the above. My first thought is I have every right to be the best I can be after such long time of not previously having the tools/seeing a doctor to reach my potential. My second thought the battle with the above.

Write those thoughts down. It will make it easier to deal with them.

I wonder if people who wear glasses ever think they might be addicted to their glasses.

InTransit
12-01-13, 12:39 PM
In less detail what I was trying to say was Im not very far into a treatment for add. Its been very positive, so positive Im not sure what to make of it just yet, mostly likely time will tell. More and more it is getting to be like wearing glasses, and more and more I am thinking in a straight line but Im not entirely used to it at this point.

ToneTone
12-01-13, 03:09 PM
I think this is a conversation best had with for prescribing doctor. Report the results of what you're finding and let them help you figure out what to do.

That's what we pay them for No, I'm not saying doctors are perfect, but have you talked to your doctor about these issues and concerns?

And I definitely think you want to do that rather than changing how you take the med every day on your own.

Tone

Nicksgonefishin
12-01-13, 05:48 PM
In less detail what I was trying to say was Im not very far into a treatment for add. Its been very positive, so positive Im not sure what to make of it just yet, mostly likely time will tell. More and more it is getting to be like wearing glasses, and more and more I am thinking in a straight line but Im not entirely used to it at this point.

Learning to trust yourself? I went threw this. It is a strange thing huh?

Do talk to your therapist about this. I have found that the best thing for my ability to trust myself and build self esteem has been time.

With adhd the other shoe always drops and we stumble. On the right meds we don't but we still anticipate the fall.

dvdnvwls
12-02-13, 01:17 AM
With adhd the other shoe always drops and we stumble. On the right meds we don't but we still anticipate the fall.
Wow. Nice way of putting that. Definitely true for me.

Nicksgonefishin
12-02-13, 03:29 AM
Wow. Nice way of putting that. Definitely true for me.

Good catch. I didn't realize how deep that was when I posted it.

It explains the overly skeptical negative attitude that can develop from constantly worrying about when the fall will happen.

On meds it is perplexing when the cycle breaks and the fall doesn't happen. And when/if it does happen it isn't as hard to get back up again.

One could say that meds are like putting double knots in your shoe laces...

InTransit
12-02-13, 07:55 AM
Learning to trust myself after not being able to and slowly getting rid of all the contingency plans I have made for myself my whole life to attempt to operate around the big falls. I am starting to notice how un-effecient I have been. Learning to trust myself covers quite a bit, thank you. I am fortunate enough to have email access to my doctor and he is pretty responsive and will address with him. Thanks much.

Pale.Blue.Eyes
12-03-13, 09:24 AM
I don't downplay the potentially addictive qualities of these medications, but it's not as big of a problem as many think---in my opinion.
First thing's first: If you are attracted to stimulants in any unhealthy way, these may not be the right drugs for you. If you've ever been addicted to a euphoric stimulant, it's even more questionable. However, if you're just experiencing the medication's effect for the first time, there nothing to worry about. As others have said, "The honeymoon doesn't last long"--nor should it. Eventually you settle into a stable routine, and the effects flatten in a positive way. It's all about proper medication/dosage; and it's about treating the medicine, your body, and your mind with respect.
If you have a level-head, trust yourself to adjust. Listen to your doctor, and respect the trust they put in you to do the right thing, just as you put your trust in them to do right by you.

hurricane630
02-18-14, 11:36 PM
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for all of the feedback! Sorry I disappeared for a few months, dealing with finals(in December), working 3 jobs over break, then starting classes again in January sucks up most of my time. But it's been a few months now, and I'd say I've definitely settled into a good pattern with everything. I'm not to worried about this issue anymore after a few months of figuring it all out lol. The "honeymoon" is gone but I've gotten into a good pattern now.

My big concern now, is how I feel when it wears off. Generally when the meds wear off or if I don't take them(day off work or school) I'm not sure depression is the right word, but I just feel extremely blah. I don't want to do ANYTHING, I just want to sit and watch tv. I don't want to talk, go out, read, study, hang out with friends, or anything. It's really bad in the morning getting up for classes, the meds don't kick in for an hour or 2 so I force myself to get up and go to class telling myself it'll be better once I get there. It always it better once the meds kick in lol, but I skip class once or twice every couple weeks when I know I shouldn't just because I don't want to do anything at all! It's a bit of a concern and I wonder if there is anything to do to counter it.

low_dopamine
02-19-14, 07:22 PM
You are dependent on glasses or dependent on insulin. Its no different being dependent on adhd medication.

Actually, it is. Nearsightedness and blood sugar/insulin levels can be measured precisely. The existence and extent of dopamine (dys)regulation, on the other hand, can only be surmised on the basis of behavioral symptoms. Treatment of what goes on inside the complex black boxes of our brains is incredibly delicate and easily imprecise.

Adderall and Vyvanse are powerful medications that need to be carefully titrated. @Hurricane: if you're experiencing this much instability, I think you might be on too high a dose. (Quite frankly, I thought 70mg was the max for Vyvanse.) How did the doctor titrate you up to that level, and how quickly?

low_dopamine
02-20-14, 09:11 AM
Apologies, I just re-read Hurricane's original post and saw that his doctor *started* him at 60mg Vyvanse. I might be wrong, but that sounds way too high for a starting dose. Not sure what the doctor's rationale was, but my guess is that this might be where his problems started?

hurricane630
02-21-14, 12:39 AM
I may not have stated this in my original post, but when I was originally started on vyvanse, my doctor prescribed me 60mg, but I took half(30mg) for the first week. And while I was on 30mg I did not notice any difference at all. My next appointment she recommended I take 45mg, not much better. Next appointment she had me take the full 60mg. At this point I was noticing it wearing off around 4-6 hours. 70mg was about 6-10 and 80mg was 8-12. I'm now back at 70mg(because of the price of 80mg, it was double the cost because it is 60 pills of 40mg each). So I started at 30mg and worked my way up. Also I'm 5'10 175, so that may play another factor. I was worked up to 70mg over about 1-2 months.

So I take it this kind of "crash" or instability when I'm not on the medication is not normal?

execfunc
02-21-14, 01:40 AM
Hi, hurricane. For me, that's a lot of stimulant medication, but I know everyone tolerates these meds differently. I'm somewhat puzzled about the variability in the duration of action relative to dose. I've always been under the impression, and it's been my experience that only the medication's strength increases with a higher dose. For 30, 40, and 50 mg, I got a consistent 12+ hours. I am certainly not an expert, though!

hurricane, what strikes me here is that you could avoid the downswing, at least on the off days you mention, by taking your medication on those days. I take mine daily and I find the consistency to be healthy, even if just psychologically. I'm fortunate to not experience any unpleasantness when my meds wear off, but I know many do. I can't help but think that there are ways to combat this, and I really hope you come across something.

dvdnvwls
02-21-14, 01:49 AM
The crash is almost always from too high of a dose.

hurricane630
02-21-14, 12:10 PM
Hi, hurricane. For me, that's a lot of stimulant medication, but I know everyone tolerates these meds differently. I'm somewhat puzzled about the variability in the duration of action relative to dose. I've always been under the impression, and it's been my experience that only the medication's strength increases with a higher dose. For 30, 40, and 50 mg, I got a consistent 12+ hours. I am certainly not an expert, though!

hurricane, what strikes me here is that you could avoid the downswing, at least on the off days you mention, by taking your medication on those days. I take mine daily and I find the consistency to be healthy, even if just psychologically. I'm fortunate to not experience any unpleasantness when my meds wear off, but I know many do. I can't help but think that there are ways to combat this, and I really hope you come across something.

The lower dosage may have been working for the same amount of time, but it was not helping at all in any way. I wasn't feeling anything with 30 and 45. And even with the 60, I think what was happening was it was just significantly less powerful(worn off) by about 5 hours. I'm sure it was still in my system, but I wasn't noticing any effects after that time. I take it at 7:30, wake up at 8:30(it really helps me hop out of bed so I take it an hour before waking up), go to class from 9:25-1. And in my 3rd class at 12 I was noticing I was usually just in and out of day dreaming and just not paying attention. So that was about about 4.5 hours after taking it, it was still better than without the meds because I could focus some in that 3rd class. But when I told my doctor she told me a higher dosage(70mg) would give me longer lasting effects like the vyvanse is suppose to.

And it isn't even so much only on the off days. like 3 or 4 o'clock(after taking it at 7:30) I get into that mood/feeling of "don't want to do anything". When I take the adderall in the afternoon, that mood/feeling is gone and I'm back to feeling like i'm ready to do whatever. I'm going to try taking the adderall around 3, and see if it is enough for me to still study effectively at 8 or 9. And also this should eliminate that crash, but will likely cause a "crash" earlier in the night around 9 or 10 which is what I don't want when I'm studying lol.

I am certainly going to discuss this issue with my doctor next time I go in, and will consider trying 60mg adderall again. Because everything I'm hearing is to much mg will cause a crash like this.

execfunc
02-21-14, 04:32 PM
I do know from my experience that too high a dose will begin to produce effects that swing away from symptom relief back toward, or even exacerbation, of original symptoms, sometimes even giving you more (irritation, loss of affect, etc.). I wonder if that's what you're experiencing.

I'm also kind of concerned about the two different medications possibly clashing. Bearing in mind that I'm not an expert, I would expect that afternoon booster to maybe be Dexedrine for the sake of continuity. For me, there is a pretty significant difference in my response to just dextroamphetamine in Vyvanse (once it's metabolized) and the added levoamphetamine in Adderall. I just do better with Adderall. I don't know why, but I do.

Food for thought!