View Full Version : Is it me or the Adderall?

PastelDreams
11-20-13, 07:32 PM
Not sure if this is a direct side effect of the Adderall, but lately I have had such a care free attitude. Specifically in the way that I am more straight forward about things, blunt, and am not afraid to hold back my honest opinion and feelings on certain matters. I've noticed an increase in irritability, typically i'm very self-conscious of what people think about me, and thus i'm more careful of what I say- but it's like I have an overwhelming sense of passive aggressiveness now. I just don't care, and in a way it feels liberating. Is this the "Madderall" effect i've seen some people talk about?

I've learned not to throw around the fact that i'm now prescribed Adderall, but I think this might be what is causing some of my irritability- I don't like feeling like I have to hide from sharing the things that are directly impacting my life. Much like when I came out about having ADHD-I, i've gotten a lot of negative responses from friends and family about the medication, but it's like i'm fueling on their negativity now. I'm quick and eager to prove them wrong. I've become more defensive in my diagnosis and overall treatment. But I can't pin point where this newfound behavior is coming from.. Perhaps both the medication and these outside influences?

dvdnvwls
11-21-13, 12:49 AM
This isn't passive aggressiveness. Passive aggressive means aggressive, as in being out to hurt the other person, not simply being straightforward. In fact, passive-aggressive behaviour is one of the most non-straightforward non-liberating things you could do.

You're also not being irritable. Irritable means letting little stuff get to you.

Unless I'm grossly misinterpreting what you just said?

You sound more like you're just not taking as much s#t from others as you used to. That could actually be a good thing - I don't know you.

asuwriter
11-21-13, 03:17 AM
I found I was more straightforward/blunt and also a little irritated at times on adderall, so I think it's probably the medication. It definitely helped me speak my mind when I needed to, and I think that was a good thing for me.

Fuzzy12
11-21-13, 07:54 AM
This isn't passive aggressiveness. Passive aggressive means aggressive, as in being out to hurt the other person, not simply being straightforward. In fact, passive-aggressive behaviour is one of the most non-straightforward non-liberating things you could do.

You're also not being irritable. Irritable means letting little stuff get to you.

Unless I'm grossly misinterpreting what you just said?

You sound more like you're just not taking as much s#t from others as you used to. That could actually be a good thing - I don't know you.

Are you sure that's what passive aggressive behaviour is? :eek: I really don't know but I keep getting accused of it. I'm not out to hurt anyone. :( I thought it was something like trying to get your way or controlling others but not in an obviously aggressive way (for example by sulking or using emotional black mail, which I also don't think I do..at least not consciously:scratch:)

Specifically in the way that I am more straight forward about things, blunt, and am not afraid to hold back my honest opinion and feelings on certain matters.

However you define passive aggressiveness, to me the behaviour you describe sounds like the exact opposite of passive aggressive.

PastelDreams
11-21-13, 08:48 AM
Getting the chance to step away for a few and re-read my post, I indeed don't think passive aggressive was the best choice of wording for me. At that moment I was feeling very tense, and irritable like I attempted to describe. I took 10mg IR about half hour ago and have yet to feel the effects, but i'm curious to see if those sudden and overwhelming feelings come back just as easily as it appeared.

I'm gonna start to keep a daily log of when I take my doses and write down any strong/irregular feelings like this following after. It'll be interesting to go over with my doc/psych, and give me some better understanding.

sarahsweets
11-23-13, 05:48 AM
Dont worry about what people think about your adhd or adderall. If they dont like it tell them to f**k off.