View Full Version : Attachment Items

wasarah
11-21-13, 08:24 PM
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Today was a big day - my son was placed on a 504 plan effective today (hooray!). Finally there will be some accommodations made for his ADD!

One item came up during our meeting -- my son, who is 13, insists upon hugging his binder in front of him during every one of his classes...he refuses to put it aside, even though it gets in his way. I haven't seen that at home and am wondering what that might mean? Any thoughts?

TygerSan
11-22-13, 06:56 AM
Some kids like sensory feedback. It helps calm and center them. I would google weighted vests or lap pads. They might work as a replacement.

dvdnvwls
11-22-13, 07:39 AM
If that's what it is - it's a little bit like how babies sometimes like to be wrapped up tight - it's a soothing effect.

I had a dog who was afraid of loud noises, and I was taught to hug him tight around the chest to make him feel better. (He was a huge dog.) There are now even tight vest/shirt things made for soothing fearful dogs. So - everybody has this, not just people. :)

messyme
11-22-13, 10:04 AM
Good news!

As far as the binder -- I've done things like that before when I was young and in school, I remember. I have no idea if my reasons are the same as your son's, and mine are kind of hard to explain, but I was shy and quiet and didn't like attention. The best way to put it is that I kind of felt "exposed" so I liked sitting in a chair at a table or desk (ex: rather than at a chair without anything in front of me). Or at a desk, I'd sometimes hold a book or binder in front of me on my lap.

Now that I think about it, I kind of do similar things now. I'm much less shy than I used to be, but after having my first child I gained weight (I was think before) and I'm sometimes self-conscious, and sometimes prefer to have my purse on my lap, for example; again, I guess I feel less exposed/vulnerable or something, I'm really not sure.

I was just talking to a male friend a few weeks ago and I remember him saying that when he was a young teenager, he would get spontaneous erections, sometimes at school; I think this is fairly common with adolescent males. I think he said once the teacher asked him to do something (ex: stand up or put some books down) and he refused because of it. Even if it only once that it happened at school, I'm sure it was very embarassing and he would've been careful after that.

Your son could have completely different reasons. Whatever they are, I wouldn't worry about it, and if I were the teacher I'd just leave it be.

dvdnvwls
11-22-13, 03:32 PM
Good news!

As far as the binder -- I've done things like that before when I was young and in school, I remember. I have no idea if my reasons are the same as your son's, and mine are kind of hard to explain, but I was shy and quiet and didn't like attention. The best way to put it is that I kind of felt "exposed" so I liked sitting in a chair at a table or desk (ex: rather than at a chair without anything in front of me). Or at a desk, I'd sometimes hold a book or binder in front of me on my lap.

Now that I think about it, I kind of do similar things now. I'm much less shy than I used to be, but after having my first child I gained weight (I was think before) and I'm sometimes self-conscious, and sometimes prefer to have my purse on my lap, for example; again, I guess I feel less exposed/vulnerable or something, I'm really not sure. That's a good point. Could be a security sort of thing.

... if I were the teacher I'd just leave it be.
A teacher can't really "leave it be" when a student is in class and his hands are too busy for him to participate. Not fair to the teacher.

wasarah
11-22-13, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback -- I'm inclined to think it's a security thing. The teachers said they are going to try to accept it with the exception of when it interferes with his ability to do his work.

messyme
11-22-13, 04:22 PM
A teacher can't really "leave it be" when a student is in class and his hands are too busy for him to participate. Not fair to the teacher.

To clarify, I meant leave it be as much as possible; not push the issue unless it's interfering with something important. When wasarah said that it "gets in his way", I interpreted that as making it a bit more difficult to write notes or something like that, with the binder where it was.

dvdnvwls
11-22-13, 06:25 PM
Ah. That makes sense. I was picturing him holding it with both hands at all times.