View Full Version : Lamictal has made me drastically more intelligent, but has had terrible side effects

Jshect
11-26-13, 07:32 AM
I was only on Lamictal for less than a week. But it seemed to give me access to parts of my brain that I previously didn't seem to be able to access. My memory got better, my logic improved. before I had trouble with communication, with Lamictal I couldn't stop talking but everything I said was interesting. I was more intelligent and funnier. I could tell by the reactions of the people around me, and just by listening to myself. People began to sit around me at work when they previously didn't. I made them all laugh. I had deep conversations.
The problem was although I could converse more intelligently, I could not focus well at all. Yet, when I spoke, intelligent conversation came effortlessly. My anxiety started to get worse in certain situations though. I began to get a rash, so I stopped the med.
What does this mean? Is there any other way to unlock this dormant side of my brain? What does Lamictal do to the brain that other mood stabilizers don't?

BellaVita
11-26-13, 07:47 AM
Question: Are you hypomanic?

Lamictal sent me into an intense hypomanic episode, then I had to quit.(adverse reaction)

I experienced some of the things you described in the beginning of the episode.

Fuzzy12
11-26-13, 09:35 AM
I was thinking the same as Bella. It sounds more like hypomania to me. :scratch:

Jshect
11-27-13, 02:24 AM
Isn't Lamictal an anti-convulsant/ mood stabilizers? Don't these meds generally stop hypomania? It felt different than the hypomanic episodes I've had in the past. Maybe it's possible to have hypomania with differing symptoms influenced by what medication you are on. Like I said, I've had hypomania before, but I suppose it could have been a Lamictal-induced hypomania, displaying symptoms commonly caused by Lamictal, mixed with my usual, natural, innate symptoms of hypomania that I may experience when not on Lamictal.
That's interesting. Maybe I'll start a thread on how people's mania differs from medication to medication.

Fuzzy12
11-27-13, 04:39 AM
Isn't Lamictal an anti-convulsant/ mood stabilizers? Don't these meds generally stop hypomania? .

Yes, however, it is supposed to mainly help with depression and some people with bipolar disorder have found that it induces hypomania in them.

InvitroCanibal
11-17-14, 02:25 PM
I found when I first started lamictal I was more fluent in my ability to recall things and speak them as well. I got less tongue tied it seemed and had less competing stimulation. A lot of this had to do with the fact that my anxiety seemed to be less present. As i've gone up and down several times on the doses of lamictal, I find the lower doses to be more therapeutic than the higher ones. Somewhere in the range of 25-100 mgs a day. Above that, it starts to make my focus a bit foggier.

sarahsweets
11-17-14, 05:22 PM
I take lamictal as a mood stabilizer and that's just what it does.

Fairshare
06-05-15, 06:57 AM
I've been taking Lamotrigine at a dose of 50-150mg to stabilise mood and to increase sleep stability for a lot longer than I've been on methylphenidate.
As far as mood stabilising - it's doing its job well, but it did make me a bit too composed for some situations.
As far as sleep quality goes - it hasn't been that much of a help, but there are definitely some minor improvements.

What I actually noticed, is that Lamotrigine actually slows my thinking down at a dosage of 100+mg dosage and it's not a good, anti-add slowing down, but rather dumbing me down a bit, which is why I've gone down a notch to 50mg.