View Full Version : started smoking

malaka
11-26-13, 07:47 AM
hi people,

i've been taking some meds and i'm still having some trouble in college such as bad concentration and social anxiety.

i've started to smoke a few cigarretes (first time) but everything seems to be under control.

should i talk to my doc to increase my dosage, to change my meds or smoking will definitely ruin my life?

ty

stef
11-26-13, 07:56 AM
ahh don't start, besides the obvious : it's just so expensive!
not to mention worrying about having enough, not having a lighter, being somewhere you absolutely can't smoke (airport, friend's home, etc.).
Mostly, it's an immense hassle and I wish I had never started.
I know only 2 people who smoked but were never addicted to nicotine and quit easily.

BellaVita
11-26-13, 07:57 AM
Can you switch to the patch?

I did this for a while and it worked quite well. (I don't smoke)

malaka
11-26-13, 08:02 AM
Can you switch to the patch?

I did this for a while and it worked quite well. (I don't smoke)

what do u mean by 'switch to the patch'? change it to something else or what?

BellaVita
11-26-13, 08:10 AM
what do u mean by 'switch to the patch'? change it to something else or what?

Nicotine patch

It delivers nicotine to your system over the course of 24 hours

You can get them in different mgs...I personally used the 7mg patch (released 7 mgs over 24 hours)

It can also help cure smoking cravings

Nicksgonefishin
11-26-13, 11:17 AM
The risks of smoking far out weight the small concentrational benefits.

You can't focus if you are dead.

I would ask for an increase in my medications.

Fuzzy12
11-26-13, 12:14 PM
i've started to smoke a few cigarretes (first time) but everything seems to be under control.

What do you mean everything seems under control? When you start smoking it's easy to believe that quitting would never be a problem. In fact, when I smoked my first cigarette at 14, I thought, I'd want to smoke because I found it rather unpleasant.

Nicotine is relatively addictive, I think. What makes smoking even more addictive, is that it's extremely habit forming (more so than even alcohol, I think) and kicking the habit (i.e. the habit of taking regular breaks, lighting up, maybe with a coffee, for a fixed amount of time) is as addictive as nicotine itself, I think. At least for me, I can get my nicotine fix with gum or other replacement options but what I miss more than anything is just the whole ritual of lighting up.

Also, the slight improvement with focus wears of very quickly (at least it did for me). If you are still at a stage where you think that quitting smoking is very easy, I'd highly recommend to quit right now because you probably won't remain at this stage for very long.

dvdnvwls
11-26-13, 12:43 PM
Lung cancer.

Nicksgonefishin
11-26-13, 12:49 PM
Lung cancer.

Esophogial varices!