View Full Version : Started exercise and now can't do anything else

complexnatural
11-26-13, 03:53 PM
I joined a gym 2 months ago and am working with a trainer 3 times a week. In the past 3 weeks I have being going on the other 2 week days to go on the treadmill. I feel great physically and am toning up (55 yr old woman) but I am totally useless the rest of the time. I can't seem to concentrate on anything for more than a few minutes. I can concentrate on the weekends because I don't go to the gym. I don't know if it is because I get overstimulated at the gym or if it's the break in my day to go there. I am usually there for 1-1/2 hours in the middle of the day. I was going first thing in the morning and now that I think about it, I think I was more productive during the day.

It takes me a long time to adjust when I add anything new to my routine but 2 months is even a long time for me!

I thought exercise was supposed to help me stay focused. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for your input!

dvdnvwls
11-26-13, 04:11 PM
What happens if you return to the early-morning time?

Maybe your best time to do work is the middle of the day when you're at the gym - or maybe it's the break in the day that's causing the problem. I could easily be wrong about this last bit, but I think unless you are normally a really hypersensitive type of person, using a treadmill would not be over-stimulating.

complexnatural
11-26-13, 04:28 PM
I think that I need to go back to first thing in the morning. There are TV's on each treadmill, 4 very large TV's near the ceiling and it is very crowded in there. I think it is visual overstimulation. I get overstimulated very easily and it stays with me for quite some time.

dvdnvwls
11-26-13, 04:43 PM
Treadmill blindfolded. :)

I'm not sure - but what you said about visuals does make some sense.

killadhd
11-27-13, 08:55 AM
Sweating drains your body of micronutrients. Look at supplementing magnesium, calcium and zinc after your workout and see if you return to normal. They are important neurotransmitters.

complexnatural
11-27-13, 09:56 AM
I will try your suggestions. Well, maybe not treadmilling blindfolded lol! I'm spastic enough. The supplements make sense. Thanks for your feedback!

someothertime
11-27-13, 10:05 AM
Yeah,

-hydration and micronutrients / nutrients ( protein/salts - especially after the exercise )
-then check bloods for more complex deficiencies... could be e, could be something else

if it's over stimulation...maybe try some earbuds/plugs that don't fully block the canal...

Tyboulder
06-04-14, 01:26 PM
Maybe you need to dial down the intensity a bit? Maybe 25 minutes 5 days a week or even 30 minutes on your current workout days. It can be easy to overdo it. I find 30 minutes on the recumbent bike in the dark cool basement alone (I shut my eyes when I ride, funny enough) is plenty for me.

sarahsweets
06-05-14, 05:45 AM
exercise always energizes me. I go in the morning because of this. I get the endorphins from the exercise and the resulting satisfaction and energy and it helps me move on with my day. I actually cant work out in the late afternoon or night because I get too stimulated and energized. As far how much you are working out, I dont thing there is any harm to doing cardio all week long. Its good for maintinance and to keep your heart healthy. The only issue would be if you were obessessively working out past the point of exhausted. Weight training should be every other day to give your muscles a chance to rebuild after each work out.

RobboW
06-05-14, 07:51 AM
Maybe the excercise sessions are in hyperfocus and you use up your dopomine then mentally crash afterward? Could be that simple. The TV's wouldn't help.