View Full Version : Do the symptoms you experience during mania differ from medication to medication

Jshect
11-28-13, 02:03 AM
I have definitely noticed differing symptoms from medication to medication.

While on an SSRI med (with no mood stabilizer) I had a hypomanic episode with the classic symptoms: Inflated self-esteem, no need for sleep, racing thoughts/flight of ideas, more talkative than usual, (plus symptoms not listed like better memory.):lol:

On Wellbutrin I had the normal symptoms (listed above) plus others: irritability, anger, aggressiveness, inability to sit still. (I was not a pleasant person):mad:

On Wellbutrin and Lamictal I had more pleasant symptoms: I was very intelligent, I felt pressured to keep talking but everything I said was interesting, I was funnier, I was extremely polite, I could not focus at all.
It was definitely a more positive hypomanic experience, except my anxiety got worse, & I got the Lamictal rash.:D

What have been your differing hypomanic or manic experiences on different meds?

Daydreamin22
11-28-13, 02:07 AM
I'm not sure. It is really complicated. I'm on a few meds to treat adhd and bipolar II. It seems to be working. Adderall is really the only one I know about, because I took it alone without bipolar meds for a while and it triggered Hypomania.

I'm not sure if this will help. It's all I know about Adderall's effect.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152158

mirandatoritess
11-28-13, 01:08 PM
wellbutrin did not do anything and lexapro made me sleep a lot

BellaVita
11-28-13, 01:10 PM
wellbutrin did not do anything and lexapro made me sleep a lot

lol, Lexapro made *me* hypo...very energized, vivid colors, talked alot,little sleep, starting lots and lots of tasks, streams of ideas, and the best effect was the euphoria and I was under the impression I was "healed" and that that's what NTs felt like...

I think pretty classic symptoms.

Jshect
11-29-13, 12:18 AM
The reason my hypomanic symptoms vary so much from medication to medication could be that I believe these are medication-induced hypomanic-like episodes. I do not believe I am actually bipolar. It was only until I started taking medications that I started having hypomania. Maybe I should post this in the depression section instead, because not to many people with actual bipolar responded.

sarahsweets
11-29-13, 04:54 AM
I could never live a regular bipolar life without a mood stabilizer.

fracturedstory
11-29-13, 07:37 PM
The reason my hypomanic symptoms vary so much from medication to medication could be that I believe these are medication-induced hypomanic-like episodes. I do not believe I am actually bipolar. It was only until I started taking medications that I started having hypomania. Maybe I should post this in the depression section instead, because not to many people with actual bipolar responded.
Give it some time. This isn't the most popular section of the forum.

If certain meds 'switch on' hypomania does that mean your'e not really bipolar?

I no longer take any medication and still become hypomanic.

BellaVita
11-29-13, 08:23 PM
Give it some time. This isn't the most popular section of the forum.

If certain meds 'switch on' hypomania does that mean your'e not really bipolar?

I no longer take any medication and still become hypomanic.

There's a difference between med induced hypomania, and hypomania triggered by meds that is directly involved with an underlying disorder.

Which explains why you, and others with bipolar, still get the episodes even off medication.

keliza
11-29-13, 10:11 PM
The manic episodes I've had that were induced by medication have all been of the psychotic flavor, whereas I very rarely have psychosis in mania when it's not prompted by an antidepressant. In fact, I think I've only had one psychotic mixed episode that wasn't caused by medication. My regular (non-medication induced) manic episodes are usually just a bit grandiose/delusional and very high-speed, but not full-blown psychotic. Just pleasantly out of touch with reality.