View Full Version : Handy Little Secret tool in Windows 7

AckoStolemySock
11-29-13, 04:54 PM
Thought Id contribute some useful info on this with a little tool we use at work and I use myself to remember things, which is built into Windows 7 (I randomly remembered this hence the topic before I forget)

The tool called "Problem Steps Recorder" and once started records all the actions that your doing on your PC by taking screenshots and short summaries of each action. You can also add comments to the screenshot it records

Instructions to to use it below from the Microsoft Site

Open Problem Steps Recorder by clicking the Start button http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/windows%207/main/4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg, and then typing psr. In the list of results, click psr.
Click Start Record. On your computer, go through the steps on your computer to reproduce the problem. You can pause the recording at any time, and then resume it later.
Click Stop Record.
In the Save As dialog box, type a name for the file, and then click Save (the file is saved with the .zip file name extension).
To view the record of the steps you recorded, open the .zip file you just saved, and then double-click the file. The document will open in your browser.

Daydreamin22
11-29-13, 06:30 PM
thanks. cool.

Mercurial
07-09-16, 07:24 AM
Very cool, I will have to give it a shot. I use Linux and only boot win 7 from an external HD when dealing with certain vendors, the gov't etc. Certainly would never use a windows product for secure transactions like my banking:eek:

But thank you!
Merc

Roundmouth
07-09-16, 06:57 PM
Thought Id contribute some useful info on this with a little tool we use at work and I use myself to remember things, which is built into Windows 7 (I randomly remembered this hence the topic before I forget)

The tool called "Problem Steps Recorder" and once started records all the actions that your doing on your PC by taking screenshots and short summaries of each action. You can also add comments to the screenshot it records

Instructions to to use it below from the Microsoft Site

Open Problem Steps Recorder by clicking the Start button http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/windows%207/main/4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg, and then typing psr. In the list of results, click psr.
Click Start Record. On your computer, go through the steps on your computer to reproduce the problem. You can pause the recording at any time, and then resume it later.
Click Stop Record.
In the Save As dialog box, type a name for the file, and then click Save (the file is saved with the .zip file name extension).
To view the record of the steps you recorded, open the .zip file you just saved, and then double-click the file. The document will open in your browser.

Scary.

The way Microsoft and Google keep track on everything really awakens all my slumbering paranoia.

optimismhitting
01-19-17, 11:04 PM
Hopefully it'll work in 8.1.