View Full Version : Prescription Refills

DoYouHaz
12-01-13, 12:36 AM
I've been prescribed adderall for about one year now and have combed this forum often for helps. Helped a lot with side effects such as cold feet and dry mouth.
I get 20mg and 10mg. 20mg in the morning and 10mg later in the day when needed. I take on an as needed bases. Sometimes every day a week, other days I'm fine and it can be close to two weeks before my ADD kicks back in full swing and I can't preform well at work - or any where else for that matter.

I get prescribed 30 of each and while the doctor writes 2x refills the pharmacies always say they need a brand new prescription each time - not sure why he bothers to write 2x refills on the prescription.

This is a real pain in the ****, each time having to make a drive out for a new prescription, especially because my doctor is 30minute drive opposite work from my house (I live in the sticks!).

Is there an easier way or does everyone get their refills this way?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Greyhound1
12-01-13, 01:56 AM
I've been prescribed adderall for about one year now and have combed this forum often for helps. Helped a lot with side effects such as cold feet and dry mouth.
I get 20mg and 10mg. 20mg in the morning and 10mg later in the day when needed. I take on an as needed bases. Sometimes every day a week, other days I'm fine and it can be close to two weeks before my ADD kicks back in full swing and I can't preform well at work - or any where else for that matter.

I get prescribed 30 of each and while the doctor writes 2x refills the pharmacies always say they need a brand new prescription each time - not sure why he bothers to write 2x refills on the prescription.

This is a real pain in the ****, each time having to make a drive out for a new prescription, especially because my doctor is 30minute drive opposite work from my house (I live in the sticks!).

Thanks for the help in advance!

I had the same issue with my prescriptions. I had to go to my Dr.s office each month for a new script. I mentioned the inconvenience to my Dr. and she wrote out 3 scripts that are all post dated a month apart.

Now, I just keep the scripts in my safe until it is time to get them filled and avoid a big hassle. Maybe this could be an option with your Dr.

Laserbeak
12-01-13, 08:36 AM
Ask your doctor to write 90-day prescriptions. Some doctors will instead write you three prescriptions with two post-dated but they're really not supposed to do that.

InTransit
12-01-13, 09:41 AM
Greyhound1 and Laserbeak-
Thanks for the posts, those helped me as well especially given the time involved-

Laserbeak
12-01-13, 11:15 AM
Greyhound1 and Laserbeak-
Thanks for the posts, those helped me as well especially given the time involved-

No problem. Also, try to politely make sure your doctor knows what he is doing if/when he writes you a 90 day prescription. Some states require some super-secret code that you can easily find with an Internet search for a 90 day prescription of a controlled substance, basically the reason they are giving it to you. For example, in New York State for Adderall it is "Code B" which just means you've been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder.

http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/1477/

DoYouHaz
12-01-13, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the advice Laserbeak and Greyhound1! I'll ask for 1 or the other and see how that goes.
Thanks again for the help.

Greyhound1
12-01-13, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the advice Laserbeak and Greyhound1! I'll ask for 1 or the other and see how that goes.
Thanks again for the help.

You are very welcome. I hope your Dr. can make it easier for you on refills.
I know how much time it can take and what a hassle it can be.

Best of luck!

mirandatoritess
12-02-13, 12:16 AM
I think because stimulants are CII substances so they can't do refills until they get another script from pdoc

sarahsweets
12-02-13, 05:25 AM
In the NJ you have to have a new paper script every month.

purpleToes
12-02-13, 06:28 AM
The DEA forbids refills on C-IIs in any state. I'm surprised your doctor doesn't know this.

In NY State, you are permitted a 90-day scrip with special coding for certain uses like ADHD. I don't know what the rules are in NC, but refills are definitely not permitted because of DEA rules.

The DEA allow doctors to write multiple sequential prescriptions for a C-II as long as the total supply does not exceed 90 days worth, and as long as your state allows it. Post-dating is not permitted, so the correct way to do this is to write, for example, three different prescriptions all dated the same, but with #2 and #3 stating on it "do not fill before..." so that you can't have all of them filled at the same time.

Edit
Ah, here it is:
http://www.ncbop.org/faqs/Pharmacist/faq_SchIIControlledSub.htm

Q: Can I fill Schedule II prescriptions bearing a "do not fill until" date?

A: Yes, within limits established by DEA: [...]

So it would appear your doctor is permitted to write a single prescription for up to a 90 day supply (bear in mind your insurance may only cover 30 day supplies, though, and you can't get the remainder of partial fills with C-IIs except within the first 72 hours), and is permitted to write multiple sequential prescriptions as described above.

Maybe you can discreetly slip this under your doctor's door:
NCBOP Controlled Substance Rules & Regulations Pocketcard
(http://www.ncbop.org/about/Student%20Projects/CSpocketcardRevNov2013.pdf)

mirandatoritess
12-02-13, 11:45 PM
In the NJ you have to have a new paper script every month.

same here

Raye
12-03-13, 09:33 AM

Sorry, can't answer those questions but for me I have to have an office visit every time for an Adderall refill.

IMO I think state laws are really starting to crack down on controlled substances.

DoYouHaz
12-10-13, 11:22 PM
Update:
Thanks for the information everyone. Talked with my doctor and he says his hands are pretty much tied. NC doesn't seem to allow a 90 prescription. At least they have the prescriptions all ready for me so I just show up and they hand it to me without having to wait or anything. But it's still a drive out of my way.
@PurpleToes:
Thanks for the information! That helps a lot. The doctor I go to said he didn't think a refill would work, but, "It doesn't hurt to try." I think I'll pass the information to him. He's a nice guy I don't think he'd take offense if I informed him about Schedule II prescriptions bearing a "do not fill until" date"

namazu
12-10-13, 11:26 PM
Sometimes they can't write a 90-day script or a 30-day script with refills, but they can write three 30-day scripts that you would fill monthly (assuming you don't lose them in the meantime!). (What Greyhound suggested.)

I don't know the rules in NC, but might be worth asking about that.

I've always seen a pdoc or psychologist working with a pdoc more frequently, so it never came up. But it would be convenient to get more than a month's worth at a time!

puzzled
01-29-14, 03:06 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. My doctor's been prescribing me 60-day at a time for the past 2 years now, so I only needed to go see him every 2 months. My pharmacy (CVS) did not have any problems giving me the 60-day supply (Adderall XR 25mg-Actavis and 10 mg IR-Teva) during my single visit.

So things were going pretty smooth, until my insurance started not allowing 60-day supply (only 30-day at a time). So my doctor says I have to go see him every month now to get the prescription.

Does anyone know if the 90-day multiple sequential prescription is allowed in California? I would like to bring this up to him, but just wanted to be sure first. If anybody knows any sites with this info I'd appreciate it. I found this site, but I'm looking for something pertains to California.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/faq/mult_rx_faq.htm