View Full Version : Fellow ADDer told me of this thing!!

high_voltage
12-02-13, 09:14 AM
A friend of mine who has ASD and ADHD told me of a thing she does to focus her time when she can't figure out what to do if she has some spare time.

She makes a list of things she needs or wants to do, and numbers them 2-12. Then she rolls a pair of dice two times.

First roll: which task to do
Second roll: how many minutes to spend on the task

I have a dice roller app. For example, I rolled a 4, which I have labeled FILE PAPERS
Then I rolled a 7, and I will spend the next seven minutes whittling down my pile of loose documents. If you finish before time is up, do something you want to do for the remaining time, or just roll the dice again.

Fuzzy12
12-02-13, 09:17 AM
A friend of mine who has ASD and ADHD told me of a thing she does to focus her time when she can't figure out what to do if she has some spare time.

She makes a list of things she needs or wants to do, and numbers them 2-12. Then she rolls a pair of dice two times.

First roll: which task to do
Second roll: how many minutes to spend on the task

I have a dice roller app. For example, I rolled a 4, which I have labeled FILE PAPERS
Then I rolled a 7, and I will spend the next seven minutes whittling down my pile of loose documents. If you finish before time is up, do something you want to do for the remaining time, or just roll the dice again.

Interesting and what's even better, I've never heard of this before!!! I guess, like all techniques it might have to be customised a bit but it actually sounds like fun. Thanks for sharing!!!

kittenparty
01-17-14, 05:42 AM
Wow, thanks for sharing this tip! I've got a bunch of nerd dice from gaming so maybe it will help me think of it as "adventuring" if I get stuff done this way. I'm definitely going to try it!

BellaVita
01-17-14, 05:53 AM
That's awesome!!!!! :)

Tinatheawesome
01-17-14, 06:41 AM
Think of it as a game

Corina86
01-17-14, 10:20 AM
I think I would just end up throwing the dices again and again and again...

mzsol215
03-15-14, 07:40 PM

Lol, me too! Or maybe I wouldn't roll the dice at all. I would plan to. I would spend days on Amazon.com finding the prettiest dice ever--semi precious stone dice, trimmed in gold, with a pretty velvet sachet to store them in...but would I roll them?

By the time they arrived, I would be totally enthralled in another project, lol. Gotta laugh at myself.

Lyricw9
04-19-14, 03:20 AM
LOl I just joined it is 3 am and couldn't sleep. Your response really made me laugh. Great answer. I so relate. Thanks for the early a.m. Smile!!

Lyricw9
04-19-14, 03:21 AM
Lol, me too! Or maybe I wouldn't roll the dice at all. I would plan to. I would spend days on Amazon.com finding the prettiest dice ever--semi precious stone dice, trimmed in gold, with a pretty velvet sachet to store them in...but would I roll them?

By the time they arrived, I would be totally enthralled in another project, lol. Gotta laugh at myself.
I love this thread. It is so right on the money! LOL