Abi
12-02-13, 02:09 PM
02 - 03/12 2013

Hours remaining: 24
Allowance remaining: 9

BellaVita
12-02-13, 02:14 PM
Wow!!! Great job Abi I'm so proud of you!!!!! :grouphug:

Get yourself a reward (you like cheesecake right? Something other than cigs ;) ) when you complete this.

You can do it!!!!!!

I believe in you, friend.

Fuzzy12
12-02-13, 02:27 PM
Fingers crossed it won't be too unpleasant. :grouphug:

Rebelyell
12-02-13, 02:31 PM
Takes all 9n smokes em all at once like morton downey jr:D

Nicksgonefishin
12-02-13, 02:34 PM
Nice!!!

Keep it up!

Fuzzy12
12-02-13, 02:35 PM
Takes all 9n smokes em all at once like morton downey jr:D

And hope that you'll feel so ill that you won't fancy another smoke for 24 hours? :D

BellaVita
12-02-13, 02:36 PM
Maybe take some kloni

Rebelyell
12-02-13, 02:42 PM
Hehee that makes me think back to years ago w my mom as a teen,, she told me if she ever caught me smoking, ohh shed buy 3 packs of butts or however many I needed and watch me smoke every single one till I threw up to teach me a lesson:o lol at the time I almost slipped and tempted her, which would of snagged me up n admitted guilt, yeah I came close to saying I double dog dare you.. uggh me n my big mouth , I can never seem to keep it shut lol

Rebelyell
12-02-13, 02:43 PM
Jokes aside good luck quitting Abi:)

ginniebean
12-02-13, 02:48 PM
Good luck abinski! :)

Raye
12-03-13, 08:33 AM
Good luck,

I wish you all the best. :)

Abi
12-03-13, 08:50 AM
Hours remaining: 5

Allowance remaining: -15

:(

TygerSan
12-03-13, 09:00 AM
Oops.

There's a fine line between an attainable but difficult goal and an impossible one.

The key is to not give up completely. (Says the person who needs to remember this re diet :rolleyes: )

Actually, what I found worked for me with food is simply noting what I was eating and when I was reaching for food... It's not quite the same as trying to quit, but gives you a good sense of how much you're consuming each day.

If your normal is many more than 10 cigs a day, it may be easier to decrease by one or two a day than a huge restriction.

Or maybe that's the only way to quit (I suppose I don't actually know what I'm talking about, as I'm fortunate in that nicotine generally makes me feel dizzy and ill).

stef
12-03-13, 09:59 AM
note every time you DON'T smoke, when normally you would. even if you end up smoking more then 10 per day.
tally up the number at the end of the week. Buy yourself something with the equivalent that you didn't smoke. (technically, it won't be much money of course. it's a purely psychological reward, paying for a small item and saying to yourself, aha I saved this much and I am buying this, instead! )

Abi
12-03-13, 10:01 AM
4 / -16

I am weak of flesh my Lord....

stef
12-03-13, 10:12 AM
it is just SO difficult! you're not weak, the things are ******* addictive.

try not to think about it. Every time I think about it I smoke MORE.
Oh also you could buy yourself a nice cigarette case, then you can really see how many are left. (they are lined up like pieces of chalk, it's kind of a shame to break up the rows).

(I can't use the advice I gave you in the other post anymore. I was implenting a bunch of various systems, and then I got some bad news and I now I associate the "rewards' thing with that one specific period. I say this on here because this is the point in RL when I keep talking and suddenly no one understands what I'm talking about anymore and thinks I'm strange. )

Fuzzy12
12-03-13, 10:23 AM
Every cigarette that you don't smoke, Abi, is a step forward towards quitting. Also, every cigarette that you delay smoking is a step forward. Quitting is hard.

The last time I quit, I did it cold turkey. This time I don't think, I'll be able to do that and might have more luck reducing my intake slowly. I think, if you are quitting slowly, the trick is to prove to your brain that you need cigarettes less and less. And maybe also, it's important to you prove to your brain that you don't need a cigarette the very second when your brain starts craving a cigarette. So even if you can delay smoking once the craving hits for a particular amount of time, that already is an improvement.

Give yourself small goals. I don't know how many you smoke, but if you are struggling too much restricting yourself to 10cigs in 24 hours, because you usually have 20, then maybe try with 15. Anything less than your current intake is an improvement.

Also, make it easy for yourself. How about you smoke 10 cigarettes a day and then use some form of nicotine replacement at other times?

here, they always claim that your chances of quitting are much higher if you do it with the help of your GP. Hubby has finally quit smoking using a medical smoking cessation aid called Varenicline.

Just some info from the NHS website. (http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/smoking/Pages/stop-smoking-treatment-myths.aspx)

TygerSan
12-03-13, 10:39 AM
Honestly, I would be quite wary of taking varencicline with a mood disorder without very close supervision. Mood problems are a not uncommon side effect.

Wellbutrin (bupropion) is another drug that's used to help people quit smoking and is also an antidepressant.

Fuzzy12
12-03-13, 10:40 AM
Honestly, I would be quite wary of taking varencicline with a mood disorder without very close supervision. Mood problems are a not uncommon side effect.

Wellbutrin (bupropion) is another drug that's used to help people quit smoking and is also an antidepressant.

That's true. Hubby had pretty bad mood swings and got extremely grumpy and snappy on it.

Abi, I thought you were taking wellbutrin already?

Amtram
12-03-13, 10:45 AM
A long, long time ago, I read (and tried) a method in which you wrapped a piece of paper around the pack and held it in place with a rubber band. Each time you wanted a cigarette, you would take off the rubber band, and then write on the paper the time, what you were doing, why you wanted the cigarette, and a number from 1-3 as to how badly you wanted the cigarette. The first few days you did this without changing your smoking habits. (I was doing this with other people in my office, and we all changed our smoking habits the first day simply because writing it all down made us conscious of our smoking!)

You keep the papers, and you keep doing the same thing, and try to eliminate all your priority 3 cigarettes first over 1-2 weeks. (They said two weeks, but if you're not smoking much in the first place, it can take less.)

After you've cut out the priority 3 cigarettes, then you take a week or two to cut out the priority 2 cigarettes. Same with the priority 1 cigs, until you've reduced your craving and addiction enough to stop completely.

This did not work for me, because I don't do well with moderation. I stayed quit for less than a month. But several other people in my office succeeded and didn't go back.

When I quit cold turkey, though, we started a jar for the money I would have spent on the cigarettes. It was about 6 weeks before I'd lost my cravings, and I was a heavy, heavy smoker. We emptied that jar and there was enough to have dinner at a very swanky restaurant.

Rebelyell
12-03-13, 10:45 AM
I take wellbutrin n wanna smoke more it seems especially when I got my drink on.

Abi
12-03-13, 10:53 AM

Been on Wellbutrin for years. It's part of my standard cocktail.

BellaVita
12-03-13, 10:55 AM
Abi you're doing great!!!!!!

The fact that you *are* wanting to limit the amount of cigs you have daily, says alot.

Good for you.

Abi
12-03-13, 11:04 AM
3 /-20

Fuzzy12
12-03-13, 11:09 AM
3 /-20

I hope you are not planning to carry this count forward to tomorrow. I mean, it's good to know how many you smoke but try not to discourage yourself.

Maybe you could see today as a test day. You know, how many cigs do you smoke when you are trying not to (also, I'd be curious, if this number is lower or higher than on other days, when you aren't watching your cig consumption). Then from tomorrow onward you can work on reducing today's number.

BellaVita
12-03-13, 11:14 AM
Can I send you an e-cig for Christmas?

Abi
12-03-13, 11:18 AM
Fuzzy. It's about the same.

30 / 24 hours is my usual amount.

Which is weird, given that I really have felt like I've been smoking less.

Maybe I smoke 40 a day normally. Who knows. I buy them by the carton and I'm not good with dates.

Oregon
12-03-13, 04:23 PM
Abi,

Have you considered snus? It's a Swedish smokeless tobacco product that is placed under the upper lip. It comes in about a hundred flavors, you don't spit it, and it's much healthier than cigarettes. I'm not saying it's not addictive (it sure as heck is), but you can gradually lower your dose (they have varied strengths all the way from 4mg of nicotine - 18mg of nicotine).

My uncle smoked 2.5 packs a day before he started using snus. Now he doesn't look back. It can be ordered online (much cheaper than cigarettes), and it lasts a heck of a lot longer. You'd still get your nicotine fix, but you could cut out the smoke, save a bit of money, and gradually lower your dose of nicotine.

If you want any info, let me know. I know quite a few good sites that sell it, and you might even be able to find it locally. Just shoot me a PM if you want the information. Good luck!

dvdnvwls
12-03-13, 04:51 PM
You have ADHD; you might use that fact to your advantage. Buy individual packs only, and one at a time, forcing you to go back to the store every time. The convenience of always keeping a basically-unlimited supply of something is good when it's printer paper or soap, but not so good when it's cigarettes.

I do this with food; if I have an unlimited supply of chocolate, then I eat it. If it's not there and I have to go and get it, then most times I don't.

Oregon
12-04-13, 05:27 PM
Abi, I don't know if you're even interested in the snus I mentioned, but please consider giving this a read. I know tons of people who quit smoking with it. I use it myself (I quit American smokeless because I didn't want to wreck my teeth/gums, and I didn't want to spit).

http://science.howstuffworks.com/snus.htm (In particular read page 4!)

''According to tobacco researchers, a snus user is 90 percent less likely to get cancer than a smoker [source: Levy et al (http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/13/12/2035.abstract).]. Because there's no combustion when someone consumes snus, carcinogenic chemicals that lead to lung cancer like polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (the byproduct of combustion of the tar in cigarettes), aren't present. In fact, researchers report that there's no statistical difference in lung cancer (http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/cancer/lung/lung-cancer-facts-to-know.htm) rates between snus users and those who never use tobacco in any form [source: Foulds et al. (http://www.tobaccoprogram.org/pdf/TC12349.pdf)].

Unlike dip and chew, which contain higher levels of TSNAs resulting from the fermentation of the tobacco, snus doesn't present a risk of oral or other head cancers [source: Gartner et al. (http://www.tobaccoprogram.org/pdf/TC12349.pdf)]. On the other hand, smoking doubles the risk of oral cancer and increases the risk of lung cancer tenfold [source: Gartner et al. (http://www.tobaccoprogram.org/pdf/TC12349.pdf)].''

http://www.tobaccoprogram.org/pdf/TC12349.pdf
(bloated government study on snus use in Sweden)

Either way, I wish you the best with trying to cut back/quit! I only mention snus because I know how hard it can be to quit. Of course quitting nicotine all together would be the best option, I'll never deny that. I just know for me personally, it's a nearly impossible option. I've got a wicked nicotine addiction myself. I've accepted the fact that I'm addicted to nicotine, so I'll just try to use it sparingly and as safely as I can.