View Full Version : Struggling with rushing to get things done

Candace1974
12-02-13, 02:19 PM
Hi everyone...

My son is 12 and in grade 7 - brilliant child however he is struggling with his grades in school because he is rushing through his class assignments and projects just to get it done so it's not done to his full potential. His school is really good at helping and very supportive. We have tried a new step with taking exams where his exam is cut into portions so that he is not completely overwhelmed and doesn't rush. This seems to be working quite well so far. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to expand this to his classroom work where he is not rushing. Our new thing is doing up a schoolwork contract which is reviewed each week where if he gets 5 checks in is agenda that he didn't rush through his work the he will get a reward but if not a consequence. Not sure how this is going to work as we are trying this same type for home chores and it's exhausting having to be on his butt constantly and double checking everything just to make sure it's actually done properly and not just quickly done. Anyways just looking for some suggestions on what other people have tried and have worked.

I do have lists for him at home that have the time and then the chore.

Ok sorry kinda hit two issues into one post - sorry.

messyme
12-03-13, 12:44 AM
What happens when your son is done in class? Are there any rewards (even "accidental") to being done quickly?

I have a vivid memory of being about your son's age in school, doing a math test. I just wanted to get it over with and couldn't stand sitting there anymore, so I was rushing through it. I knew that when I was done, I could go outside (for early recess or something, I can't remember). At one point I just got tired of it and even though I was only about 3/4 done the test, I handed it in and went outside. I didn't even feel that bad about the test because it felt so nice to get outside to play! (I don't have ADHD, or at least I've never been diagnosed; if I did have ADHD at that age, it would've definitely been primarily inattentive, not hyperactive).

That was not a normal situation, but if whatever your son is able to do once he's finished is more pleasant than the task itself, it may cause him to rush. I'm sorry I don't really have any suggestions about changing this, but I thought I'd put it out there to think about.

sarahsweets
12-03-13, 05:37 AM
Does your son have adhd or any other disorder? I dont think consequences at school would work or are even good. If he has adhd then consequences like that will only drive home the point that he is a 'bad boy' instead of motivating him to do well the next time.