View Full Version : just wondering...

SentientCoconut
12-03-13, 04:15 AM
When I was a kid, I had a few behaviours such as shoulder wriggling/squirming, and mouth contorting with nose scrunching type thing...
I mostly got control of that...but it re-appears every so often.. at least a few times a year... the shoulder shrugging and wriggling is probably more frequent.

At the moment I have more of an issue with stretching my right arm out and pulling it in again, tight..., or flicking my fingers/scrunching hands (but these may have to do with discomfort and stiffness some of the time - other times it will be extremely annoying if I cant stretch, even if there's no stiffness and discomfort)
... I also (as I think someone mentioned in another post - touch my mouth or rub/twitch my nose when around people)... but the main two issues I have - which are both is quite embarrassing are:

- hair plucking/pulling in.....erm.. bikini area... *shrinks and hides...ekk* (think this might be called tricotil.... I know the word but i'll be damned if i can spell it.. my mum picks the skin on her hands, arms and face till there are large red sores when she is stressed... which I think is in the same group of behaviours?)

- and making a short 'heh' sound in conversations a lot - either as a reply or after I finish my sentence/ finish speaking. It can sometimes be a nervous thing.... but there are also times when it isn't - most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it, until someone points it out .... which makes the behaviour increase terribly! (unintentionally), and makes the embarrassment worse.. also makes me more nervous and unsure when talking...

Would these be considered tics?

im not diagnosed with tourettes, nor are they interfering enough at the moment to consider a diagnosis... except perhaps the 'heh'ing' which can be fairly obvious... and causes anxiety/embarrassment.

dvdnvwls
12-03-13, 05:22 AM
I think it's clear that at least some of those are tics.

Diony
12-30-13, 09:19 PM
Talking about tics i used to bite my nails, bite my lips, smell my hands; i stopped the smelling and biting my nails but i stilll bite my lips , i now crack my neck, all day, crack my fingers, and i rub my nose (started doing that in my sleep but now i do it when im awake)

janiew
12-30-13, 09:28 PM
Yes, sounds like tics. I have some too. Neck turning, ab stretching, wrist rolling, finger stretching. Also some facial stuff mostly in the nose and mouth. I think mine are related to OCD that I developed to deal with the ADHD.

Mine are pretty manageable unless I get too stressed out and even then most people don't notice this about me - or when they do, they don't comment. As it is, I'm not too worried about it but I am more aware since I was diagnosed and began treatment. My p-doc didn't notice my tics until I pointed them out - my ADHD was much more obvious. Then it all fit together - ADHD, OCD and tics.

The Adderall hasn't made it worse and the Prozac and Intuniv seem to help quite a bit. My verbal tics are under control unless I am by myself and stressed out. Then I let loose.

Best wishes and hope you don't feel too self conscious because that can make it worse.

Diony
12-30-13, 11:36 PM
Neck tics is noticeable and ive repeated myself a few times, i repeat myself every so often,not an every day thing the repeating what saying is though!Yes, sounds like tics. I have some too. Neck turning, ab stretching, wrist rolling, finger stretching. Also some facial stuff mostly in the nose and mouth. I think mine are related to OCD that I developed to deal with the ADHD.

Mine are pretty manageable unless I get too stressed out and even then most people don't notice this about me - or when they do, they don't comment. As it is, I'm not too worried about it but I am more aware since I was diagnosed and began treatment. My p-doc didn't notice my tics until I pointed them out - my ADHD was much more obvious. Then it all fit together - ADHD, OCD and tics.

The Adderall hasn't made it worse and the Prozac and Intuniv seem to help quite a bit. My verbal tics are under control unless I am by myself and stressed out. Then I let loose.

Best wishes and hope you don't feel too self conscious because that can make it worse.