View Full Version : Any natural alternative takers?

trwhittplex
12-04-13, 08:23 PM
I have been reading online about some alternatives to taking Adderall and have come across several 100% natural alternatives. I was talking to some friends and have met a few people that have had great success with some. I was curious if anyone on here has looked into natural alternatives to Adderall?

Thanks!

dvdnvwls
12-05-13, 01:50 AM
All the well-known ones have been extensively tried and researched. All are very unreliable, most border on useless, and most are just cash-grab attempts by businesses knowing there's a big market of parents who they can con using scare tactics about "big bad Adderall" - which is proven safe and effective, something that can't be said for what the snake-oil salesmen are offering. If a new medication comes along that is proven to do the same or better compared to the current legitimate medications, you can be assured that it will be big news and all the ADHDers and all the doctors will flock to it - but there isn't anything even "in the ball park" so far. "Natural" is not "good". "Natural" is just a marketing gimmick.

sarahsweets
12-05-13, 05:17 AM
There are no natural alternatives to adderall.

Corina86
12-05-13, 08:07 AM
I've tried ginkgo, lecithin, ginseng, NeuroOptimizer, tea for brain circulation, Omega 3-6-9, vitamins, combinations of these and nothing works, even just one bit. The only natural things that have an effect are: 1. those with caffeine (coffee, green tea, black tea, guarana) - they do give me energy; 2. valerian root - calms me and makes me sleepy. I'm hoping to get a prescription for a stimulant next month.

Lunacie
12-05-13, 10:10 AM
Omega 3 fish oil does help some (like me), and studies back this up.

Unfortunately, it doesn't help everyone with ADHD.
But then, neither does Adderall.

dvdnvwls
12-06-13, 05:47 PM
Omega 3 fish oil does help some (like me), and studies back this up.

Unfortunately, it doesn't help everyone with ADHD.
But then, neither does Adderall.
True. Omega-3 fish oil does help those who need it. I take it anyway for other reasons, and I'm not sure if it helps my ADHD, but it can't be hurting it. However, I think even in those people who really need the omega-3, its effect is much smaller and more subtle than that of Adderall (in the people for whom Adderall is effective, that is).

Lunacie
12-06-13, 06:03 PM
True. Omega-3 fish oil does help those who need it. I take it anyway for other reasons, and I'm not sure if it helps my ADHD, but it can't be hurting it. However, I think even in those people who really need the omega-3, its effect is much smaller and more subtle than that of Adderall (in the people for whom Adderall is effective, that is).

My granddaughter stopped taking Adderall, so I took it a couple of days
instead of the Omega 3, and I could not tell any difference.

addthree
12-06-13, 06:05 PM
Maybe with the power of suggestion. Usually how snake oil works.

Fuzzy12
12-06-13, 08:34 PM
Op what y are the 100% natural alternatives that you've come across that have helpedsome people?

I guess it's possible that there might be alternatives to stimulants unfortunately till now nothing has been proven to be as effective. Some of the commonly peddled alternative cures for adhd like gluten free diet etc have been shown to he ineffective but with most stuff wr just dont know yet. I mean I suppose noone has studied the efficacy of using coconut oil in treating adhd so you can't really tell either way. It doesn't make sense though trying each and wvery possible food stuff out there when there is something that has been shown to work in the majority of cases.

Also keep in mind that alternative medicines and supplements aren't regulated so you ould do more harm than good to yourself.

nik007
12-09-13, 01:13 PM
Look into Neurofeedback: it has been rated equal to medication for effectiveness for ADHD by the American Pediatrics Academy, it is now even covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield in the state of Michigan for children under 18. Hopefully other states will catch on!

It is just as effective for adults so I don't know why they only cover children?