View Full Version : Too much Adderall XR, not enough, or the wrong med?

kavony2
12-04-13, 08:38 PM
Went to a psych, got a script for Vyvanse 20 mg. Didn't feel any different, so he upped it to 30. Still nothing, so he switched to Adderall XR 40mg. I'm still not feeling any different - none of the laser focus that people talk about. I may be a little less foggy, but still scatterbrained, and have developed some irritability.

He's now moved it up to 50mg, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting too much of this, or maybe I should move to something else. (I'm also taking 1mg of Klonopin for anxiety and to counteract the grumpiness.)

Would less Adderall maybe be better? Would too much of this totally bypass any calming, focusing benefits ? And if none of these work, does that mean I don't have ADD and just have brain fog and forgetfulness?

Thanks!

purpleToes
12-04-13, 09:28 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Laser focus is not really the goal, but meds should give you at least average focus. It's more useful perhaps to keep a journal of not only how you feel but more importantly if you're functioning differently, for instance if you notice that you were able to study for 40 minutes instead of only 10 minutes, or that you made fewer mistakes than usual, or you were able to tackle a task that is normally overwhelming. It's also normal to start out at a low dose and work your way up to the minimum effective dose, so those notes will be helpful to your doctor in determining that.

Not responding to ADHD meds doesn't necessarily mean you don't have ADHD, and responding to them doesn't necessarily mean you do have ADHD either. There are lot of reasons you could have brain fog and forgetfulness that aren't ADHD. Did you receive an ADHD diagnosis?

kavony2
12-04-13, 09:42 PM
I've described my symptoms to a doctor and psychiatrist, and although I haven't taken an official test, they both nodded and wrote a prescription for me.

I'm still forgetting things and am distracted at work. MAYBE it's a little better? But that may be due to the fact that I cut out sugar and carbs a month ago...

Basic symptoms are forgetfulness (appointments, grocery lists, cell phone), difficulty concentrating and making decisions, disorganization and an overall "brain fog." Been this way for 20 years...

CORRECTION: Looking back I never hit 40 mg Adderall XR. He's taking me from 30mg to 50. He says Concerta and Ritalin are less effective than Vyvanse or Adderall, so he doesn't think they'll help. Hmmm...

purpleToes
12-04-13, 11:52 PM
Symptoms since childhood, then, or no?

There's no "test" for ADHD, unfortunately. It's a diagnosis of exclusion. What medical causes of brain fog and memory and concentration problems have already been ruled out?

Stimulants do tend to help with those kinds of symptoms regardless of the cause. (That would be great, except for when ADHD isn't the cause, you still have an untreated condition.) In any case, I don't think your dose is too high to have "missed' the sweet spot, or you'd be feeling either pretty terrible (like too much caffeine) or totally euphoric.

kavony2
12-05-13, 11:05 AM
Symptoms have been there since about 16, but I didn't bother to get diagnosed until about 35. I'm 45 now. No other things have been ruled out outside of physicals and thyroid tests. I'm wondering about gluten...