View Full Version : Bipolar and money management

fracturedstory
12-05-13, 06:40 AM
I know struggling with finances and impulsive spending is a problem with ADHD and I know how the symptoms are similar in bipolar, so I just wanted to hear how people manage (or don't) manage money here.

For awhile my sister (bipolar, not medicated) has often asked me for advances on rent and I recently realised she might just be really bad at handling money. I've paid an advance of two months rent and last time I had to tell her about the anxiety attack it gave me, because of my extreme paranoia over going broke and starving to death. That's a real fear.

Now I want to try and help her manage her money problems and adopt a type of routine because she triggers quite a lot of rage in me when she breaks my routine of paying rent. Actually every routine she breaks makes me angry. I've allowed her get away with it for two years but since I went off Ritalin I find myself under more stress than usual that it has become difficult to manage, and add my PMDD (imagine bipolar applied to pms except of the mixed episode type and usually strong in depressive symptoms) to the mix and you've got someone who is more reliant on routine than usual.

As for me any talk of money makes me anxious. Even just my family members talking about money plans and future spending just throws me into a state of high anxiety and that makes me think up all sorts of horrifying scenarios.

Despite sometimes spending impulsively I am very cautious with money. I still don't trust myself with it but I'm good at saving (just as long as I don't have a social life and limit the amount of nights I go out to gigs, or buy camera equipment) and when needed can budget quite well. I'm not very good at totaling costs when I buy several items; I now exaggerate the total which works for me because I usually end up spending less than what I thought.

Hypomania kind of tears all that apart though and I'm glad it doesn't last that long so I don't make too many regrettable purchases. Every purchase I've made I try to get the best out of so it doesn't seem like a waste.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing how others with bipolar manage their finances.

keliza
12-05-13, 09:11 PM
How do I manage it? Very carefully.

I'm pretty good with money in my normal mood state, but mania is a whole different story. I'll blow hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on random stuff that I have no memory of purchasing later on. I have to play detective with my own receipts and credit card statements to figure out what exactly happened.

Fortunately I've been on a very good mood stabilizer for over a year now and haven't had any major manic episodes in that time frame. However, I was left with a fairly significant credit balance to deal with. I've been good about paying it off, but I've been through this cycle many times - run up CC bill during mania, pay it off during normal/depressive mood episodes, then run up CC bill during mania again. Lather, rinse, repeat. If I didn't need the stupid thing for emergencies I would get rid of it entirely.

Rebelyell
12-05-13, 09:34 PM
its not easy I have that fear Im gonna starve to death,end up on the streets ect as well.I try to add up for each of the bill cycles/ pay day etc and pay the most important bills of all.I know it stinks but say per say you can use the dumpster across the street to get rid of the 90 buck garbage bill,then see ya on that one or get rid of the cable or say you eat lots of junk food a month and soda,you can try to cut it back/out and youll save money there too same w drinking n smoking.I do realize we have to have a life of somekind so notice I didn't say get rid of it totally:)

fracturedstory
12-05-13, 11:02 PM
How do I manage it? Very carefully.

I'm pretty good with money in my normal mood state, but mania is a whole different story. I'll blow hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on random stuff that I have no memory of purchasing later on. I have to play detective with my own receipts and credit card statements to figure out what exactly happened.

Fortunately I've been on a very good mood stabilizer for over a year now and haven't had any major manic episodes in that time frame. However, I was left with a fairly significant credit balance to deal with. I've been good about paying it off, but I've been through this cycle many times - run up CC bill during mania, pay it off during normal/depressive mood episodes, then run up CC bill during mania again. Lather, rinse, repeat. If I didn't need the stupid thing for emergencies I would get rid of it entirely.
I've banned myself from ever owning a credit card.

I suppose it's a blessing of rapid cycling mania to not get to the point of spending 1000's of dollars. However I did once purchase a $1300 lens to use once. Now I'm trying to get the best use out of it.
It is a very amazing lens.

Rebelyell
12-05-13, 11:08 PM
Well youll have that for a long time, take care of it, thats your hobby or joy so if you ask me fractured thats actually a good investment if you think about it.

fracturedstory
12-06-13, 12:12 AM
Ah yes, but I jump between interests so suddenly. For example, I'm still trying to do the band photography while having a growing obsession with Carl Jung, philosophy and synchronicity. Although, I'm not exactly sure how long these interests will last for too.

Oh, and my mind constantly jumps back to critiquing the Ender's Game film. I have so many blogs to write. At least that hobby still exists over a wide continuum of interests.