View Full Version : Klonopin- experiences?

sublimed4
12-05-13, 04:07 PM
Hello,

My Psych just gave me an Rx for Klonopin. He wants me to take .5mg an hour before bedtime. I want to know if anyone can let me know how it worked?

Thanks for your replies.

Currently taking: Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Vyvanse 60mg, Klonopin .5mg

Abi
12-05-13, 04:11 PM
What symptoms did you complain about?

You've posted in the Depression section, but Klonopin is most commonly used to treat Anxiety.

BellaVita
12-05-13, 04:12 PM
Yes it works

KLONIS FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:

425runner
12-05-13, 09:52 PM
Yes, it works great!! I take 0.25 to 0.5mg an hour before going to bed and wake up feeling calm, well rested. It's a nice feeling not having to start the day in a chaos and get a good night's rest.

BellaVita
12-05-13, 09:54 PM
We need to convince these new(YOUNG) pdocs that klonis ARE A GOOD THING

Even if we do become "dependent" on them

They make our lives so much more worth living, quality improves immensely

Amtram
12-06-13, 12:26 PM
I take it for daytime anxiety, and not even a lot, and it is a wonderful thing. It didn't help me sleep, though. Only alprazolam works on that. So klonopin in the morning and afternoon, alprazolam at bedtime.

One thing, though - you won't see immediate results from klonopin. It takes a few days to settle in. I think it was on day four that it started working for me, but it was well worth the wait.

BellaVita
12-06-13, 12:52 PM
I take it for daytime anxiety, and not even a lot, and it is a wonderful thing. It didn't help me sleep, though. Only alprazolam works on that. So klonopin in the morning and afternoon, alprazolam at bedtime.

One thing, though - you won't see immediate results from klonopin. It takes a few days to settle in. I think it was on day four that it started working for me, but it was well worth the wait.

Really? I saw an immediate positive effect.

(I believe you of course, just wondering if it differs from person to person)

sublimed4
12-06-13, 02:00 PM
What symptoms did you complain about?

You've posted in the Depression section, but Klonopin is most commonly used to treat Anxiety.

I had to make an emergency appointment because I was feeling really on edge and withdrawn. I would post up in my back office and not want to interact with my wife because I didn't want to take my mood out on her. I eventually took the initiative and called my Psychiatrist. He said it might be too much Wellbutrin so he lowered my does of that to 300mg and he gave me an Rx for Klonopin. I just got it yesterday and am going to wait until tonight to take it because I don't work tomorrow. I want to give my body the weekend to get used to it.

Also, do any of you that take Klonopin, take an ADHD/ADD medicine in the morning? If so, does your ADHD/ADD medicine work as good?

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Try to stay positive on these short, cold fall days. (damn, it's not even winter yet :eek:

Abi
12-06-13, 02:27 PM
At the dose you are taking, it won't affect your stims.

And its a good med. Good luck. Klonis FTW

:)

sublimed4
12-06-13, 03:47 PM
At the dose you are taking, it won't affect your stims.

And its a good med. Good luck. Klonis FTW

:)

Thanks for in info. I'm hoping it will keep the irritability away. It's the holidays and I don't wanna be the grumpy Scrooge lol

Jshect
12-07-13, 05:29 AM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I am now addicted to Klonapin and I am having a ridiculously hard time getting off it. It works well, but I would be cautious about long-term use. Withdrawal symptoms vary from person to person, some have no trouble at all tapering off, but I believe I am at the other end of the spectrum. The withdrawal symptoms are rough for me.

Amtram
12-07-13, 10:55 AM
Withdrawal from any benzo can be rough, depending on your dose and how long you were on it. I know with alprazolam, the recommendation is cutting back by a quarter milligram a week - I think it might be the same for klonopin, but don't take me at my word for that.

If your dose is really low, or you haven't taken it for long, or you take it only on an as-needed basis, withdrawal can be tolerable or even nonexistent.

Laserbeak
12-11-13, 03:31 AM
Clonazepam is not a very good benzodiazepine in my opinion. The main difference between it and others is its relatively long half-life in the body, but Librium (chlordiazepoxide) and maybe even Valium (diazepam) are longer and much safer alternatives. Doctors seem to like to prescribe newer drugs when the older ones are better or at least just as good. I would take a script for Librium or Valium any day over clonazepam which has a much more spotty safety record.

finallyfound10
12-14-13, 12:48 PM
If I take Klonopin at night before going to bed, I wake up feeling "smooth." I can definitely tell a difference. Since I take before bed anyway I am not sure that it helps me to fall asleep or sleep any better. See my signature to see what else I take and prescribed by the same MD now so it's safe.

Nate W
12-14-13, 10:47 PM
I have just the opposite experience. Although clonazepam at 1/4 mg can relax me and ease me to sleep, my sleep quality is very poor and when it wears off at about noon the next morning I feel depressed and agitated.

--Nate

janiew
12-15-13, 01:05 AM
I just posted on a similar thread. Some people do okay with benzos and others don't. For some who eventually want to get off due to side effects, it can be very difficult. But perhaps not for others.

I take Prozac for my OCD and anxiety and it works pretty well. My pdoc wanted to prescribe a benzo for me to help sleep, but I refused. He instead prescribed Trazodone which is a tetracyclic antidepressant that works as a sleep aid in low doses. It's perfect for me. I take 12.5 to 25 mg on nights I have trouble sleeping and it helps a lot. Not every night.

You can find other posts about Trazodone here.

DelStan
12-15-13, 01:59 AM
It has an adverse reaction to me, so my doc prescribed me Restoril, but I rarely take due to the morning hangover. I just can't snap out of it. So I just force myself to sleep someway somehow. The best that has worked for me
though was valerian root.

janiew
12-16-13, 12:35 AM
Like I said, Trazodone is a good sleep aid and not associated with dependence if you are concerned about it.

ana futura
12-16-13, 12:42 AM
Really? I saw an immediate positive effect.

Me too- it's immediate. I just started taking alprazolam on occasion because things are really tough right now in school and I kept having major meltdowns. I also take one if anxious thoughts are keeping me awake. I always try to go to sleep without taking one, but if it's been an hour and I'm still awake I can take one and nod off very quickly.

I don't think I would want to take it daily, but I also don't feel a need to take it daily- only once or twice a week at most

At least on an as needed basis, benzos are great.

sarahsweets
12-16-13, 05:13 AM
for me, klonopin's long acting action turned me into a stumbling drooling fool.

Nate W
12-16-13, 09:20 PM
Seven years ago clonazepam literally saved my life after 30 days of not sleeping due to severe anxiety caused by a permanent spike in my life-long tinnitus. I could have easily killed myself due to the extreme anxiety and panic. I felt I had no way out from the 24-hour shrill I "heard", except that. I was very hesitant to take a benzo because at the time, I was about a year sober and thought it would cause relapse. Well, I have over 8 years sobriety now, so that did not happen. I checked into a psych ward and there the Dr. put me on 1.25 mg clonazepam per day and three days later I went home and about 45 days later I weaned myself off of the clonazepam because my research indicated it was dangerous long term.

This was AMA (against medical advice) and the psychiatrist I saw because of the tinnitus spike said I could remain on clonazepam "indefinitely". I did a very slow taper (even at the low dose I was on) over the next month. By that time I acclimated to the louder tinnitus, so anxiety was no longer an issue.

But yes, benzos can literally save a person when used correctly. But in general, for day-to-day medication, I feel there are much safer alternatives, usually.

--Nate

wgm923
12-20-13, 06:23 PM
I have ADHD and a little anxiety because of it, I as recently prescribed 1 mg clonazepam but it seems to not sedate me at this dose and I feel more of a lift in motivation and do things I wouldn't do normally like cleaning curtain things ect. Why could this be?

thatgrljme
01-28-17, 09:43 PM
I was prescribe klonopin along with Vyvanse to take as needed. I took one for the first time last night and it completely knocked me out. This was/is a fear of mine because I have anxiety during the day at work, and there is absolutely no way I could drive on this stuff, let alone be a functioning adult.

When I woke up this morning I felt like I was drunk. Upon taking my Vyvanse dose I started feeling better, and for most of the day was doing well until about 3pm when I crashed hard. I haven't had to nap since starting Vyvanse and today I could have probably slept all day. I unfortunately cannot do that with a 5 yr old and other things that have to get done throughout the day, especially work.

Is there anything that can be taken that won't knock me out?

sarahsweets
01-29-17, 09:09 AM
I was prescribe klonopin along with Vyvanse to take as needed. I took one for the first time last night and it completely knocked me out. This was/is a fear of mine because I have anxiety during the day at work, and there is absolutely no way I could drive on this stuff, let alone be a functioning adult.

When I woke up this morning I felt like I was drunk. Upon taking my Vyvanse dose I started feeling better, and for most of the day was doing well until about 3pm when I crashed hard. I haven't had to nap since starting Vyvanse and today I could have probably slept all day. I unfortunately cannot do that with a 5 yr old and other things that have to get done throughout the day, especially work.

Is there anything that can be taken that won't knock me out?

What are you prescribed the klonopin for? Is it severe? Do you need something quick acting for panic attacks or something more along the lines to maintain an even keel? I personally found the half life of klonopin to turn me into a drooling mess. I felt like it built up in my system and made me dopey and non-functional. For awhile I took xanax and tried ativan. For me being an alcoholic, I cant tolerate benzos because of the potential for abuse. I started buspar 8 months ago or so and it doesnt work right away. It sort of turned into one day realizing that I just didnt feel the crushing anxiety and panic I had been feeling for years, thats how I realized it works. It doesnt help stave off a panic attack but it does manage my overall baseline anxiety. I couldnt take benzos and be responsible for my kids, but thats just me.

thatgrljme
01-29-17, 09:25 AM
What are you prescribed the klonopin for? Is it severe? Do you need something quick acting for panic attacks or something more along the lines to maintain an even keel? I personally found the half life of klonopin to turn me into a drooling mess. I felt like it built up in my system and made me dopey and non-functional. For awhile I took xanax and tried ativan. For me being an alcoholic, I cant tolerate benzos because of the potential for abuse. I started buspar 8 months ago or so and it doesnt work right away. It sort of turned into one day realizing that I just didnt feel the crushing anxiety and panic I had been feeling for years, thats how I realized it works. It doesnt help stave off a panic attack but it does manage my overall baseline anxiety. I couldnt take benzos and be responsible for my kids, but thats just me.

He gave it to me for anxiety, and there are times where I have attacks, but I think my anxiety is more throughout the day. My husband has buspar but only takes it when needed and it does the same thing to him and into the next day that klonopin did to me :(

I like the vyvanse, it's helped with the focus and inattentiveness, but I feel I almost need something in addition, especially in the morning. I think that is when my anxiety is the highest and I am the most agitated. I told him I couldn't function on xanax, so I don't know what made him think I could function on klonopin.

sarahsweets
01-29-17, 10:27 AM
He gave it to me for anxiety, and there are times where I have attacks, but I think my anxiety is more throughout the day. My husband has buspar but only takes it when needed and it does the same thing to him and into the next day that klonopin did to me :(

I like the vyvanse, it's helped with the focus and inattentiveness, but I feel I almost need something in addition, especially in the morning. I think that is when my anxiety is the highest and I am the most agitated. I told him I couldn't function on xanax, so I don't know what made him think I could function on klonopin.

Are you sure the same thing happens to your husband on buspar? Its the one of the anxiety medications that is "marketed" for people with substance abuse issues because it offers no immediate "hit" or relief in the sense of a narcotic like feeling. It doesnt work for about 6 weeks because it has to build up in your system and begin to target those pesky receptors that contribute to long term or low level anxiety.
Taking it as needed defeats the purpose of taking it at all because it simply does not work that way.

thatgrljme
01-29-17, 12:22 PM
Are you sure the same thing happens to your husband on buspar? Its the one of the anxiety medications that is "marketed" for people with substance abuse issues because it offers no immediate "hit" or relief in the sense of a narcotic like feeling. It doesnt work for about 6 weeks because it has to build up in your system and begin to target those pesky receptors that contribute to long term or low level anxiety.
Taking it as needed defeats the purpose of taking it at all because it simply does not work that way.

He goes to a pain management dr for his back and is on a med that he cannot take benzo's with, so he was given buspar. In my honest opinion, I don't like this dr he's going to see and don't think he even knows what he's doing half the time. I do know if he takes a full dose it knocks him out, so maybe it's just how the medicine affects him? I also have a friend that takes it, but has to take it at night.

I know that I am uber sensitive to meds. I typically get the really bad side effects of all psych meds and end up stopping them because the help they gave me didn't outweigh the side effects I experienced.

So for my anxiety, I need something that I can take that won't knock me on my butt and make me sleep for 12+ hours. If a side effect is drowsiness, that's what usually happens to me :(

Meadd
03-31-17, 01:29 AM
Klonopin takes the edge of my anxious ***.. I try to take as prescribed I even take just have of my daily allotted dosage, and only as needed. (I am a recovering addict, so getting addicted is one of my fears with K. I was taking Xanax then pdoc switched me to the Klonopin...a few years ago...)

I read somewhere that a possible side effect with Klonopin is a loss of cognitive abilities, and an increase in absentmindedness... Is that possible? or true?
(I also take generic Concerta XR)

oops sorry about the language..

Letching Gray
04-28-17, 02:11 AM
Klonopin takes the edge of my anxious ***.. I try to take as prescribed I even take just have of my daily allotted dosage, and only as needed. (I am a recovering addict, so getting addicted is one of my fears with K. I was taking Xanax then pdoc switched me to the Klonopin...a few years ago...)

I read somewhere that a possible side effect with Klonopin is a loss of cognitive abilities, and an increase in absentmindedness... Is that possible? or true?
(I also take generic Concerta XR)

oops sorry about the language..

Klonopin is a benzodiazepine and withdrawal from it is dangerous without experienced medical supervision. Even with medical supervision, withdrawal from a benzo is very difficult. Guys in detox for heroin are released days earlier than benzo withdrawals.