View Full Version : Dosages over 80mg?

The Binary Son
12-05-13, 06:10 PM
Hello!

My question is while I've read somewhere 100mgs is usually the maximum daily dosage, and that higher dosages haven't really been tested or the results of dosages above 100mgs didn't appear to be significantly different than the effects of 100mgs, does anyone here take a dosage above 100 mgs? I certainly haven't read anywhere that it's dangerous, and after 5 months of strattera (first 40, then 80, along with bupropion for anxiety - i have adhd-inattentive and a general anxiety disorder) while there were some immediate good effects, and while my anxiety is certainly better, I feel like my progress with treating my adhd has only slightly improved at all and progress seems to have completely stalled. I use to be on ritalin and while I don't want to go back to that, (long story) I miss the mentally able and awake feeling I had to be able to harness and organize my thoughts, which I do not have now and am a lump on a log like I was before I started taking meds. I am going to demand that I start 100mgs next time but I wonder if that will be enough.

Sorry for the long post but any help would be appreciated!!

Daydreamin22
12-05-13, 10:34 PM
Just remember hypertension is the "silent killer" so if someone's on 80 mg... which some dr's wouldn't prescribe, that you are safe and your blood pressure isn't high and all that.

Blizzard42
01-19-14, 09:24 PM
I'm taking 120mg of Strattera, but I wouldn't take more. Every time I increased the dosage the side effects got stronger and stronger for the first 2-4 weeks after the change. And I must say the last change from 100 to 120 was quite intense and I don't think I would want to go any higher. No side effects after a month though.

dyingbreed
01-23-14, 08:42 PM
Is hypertension the main issue with higher doses? I just started out and am still on 40mg (though my doc wants me to try staying at 40 for a little while) but I suffer from HYPOtension and have to constantly monitor my blood pressure because it gets dangerously low. Does that mean I'd probably be okay on higher doses if the lower ones don't do the trick?

fabulosity
01-29-14, 02:28 AM
I was on 120mg for about two years when I was 12-14 in 2002-2004. I was actually fine until I had spinal surgery, and only after that did my heart rate, etc. begin to be affected by the dosage. We dropped it to 100 and I've been there ever since.

aarondev
02-01-14, 06:51 AM
Is hypertension the main issue with higher doses? I just started out and am still on 40mg (though my doc wants me to try staying at 40 for a little while) but I suffer from HYPOtension and have to constantly monitor my blood pressure because it gets dangerously low. Does that mean I'd probably be okay on higher doses if the lower ones don't do the trick?

I have hypotension as well although not as severe as you. More Strattera will usually cause a higher heart beat but not necessarily blood pressure; that usually comes from stimulants alone.

I've taken Strattera at all the recommended dosages in the past. Today I got my doc to bump me up to 120, since I found after accidentally taking 2 100mgs in a shorter span of time, I experienced a much greater 'surge' in 'drive' the way I used to (when I was generally more healthy).

To OP: I've read on here in the past of people going as high as 160. Although Strattera is now disfavored by many pdocs, so there's less data available. I've genuinely never, ever heard of any severe side effects from a supervised increase in the dosage in excess of 100mg. Originally, as a matter of fact, they recommended that it was 1.2mg/kg but that has long since been put aside.

Do what you feel is best but don't rush into greater doses believing you will necessarily get a greater outcome. Unlike SSRIs, Strattera isn't as clear cut. So for instance if you were on 80mg consider asking your doctor to split the dose into 2x40mg and seeing how that goes (staggered throughout the day).