View Full Version : Filling Adderall prescription

fitzky
12-06-13, 02:50 AM
Hi there

I receive 3 months of scripts for each doctor visit. I had my last script filled at CVS less then a month ago but I had it filled about 10 days after the date written on the script. I was wondering if CVS or any pharmacy would fill my next script now, which would be about 3 weeks after my last script was filled. The date on the script is fine but I am not sure if the timing between my scripts is ok or if that even matters or is monitored. I am not sure how all this works. I know that insurance will only fill adderall scripts every 30 days but I dont have insurance so that will not be an issue. I just know it is highly regulated so I was not sure if there were certain rules about this or if any pharmacy would even know when my last script was filled. I am hoping someone knows the answer to this question! Thanx in advance if you do!

namazu
12-06-13, 03:15 AM
I think they usually go by the last date you actually got the prescription filled, not the date written on the prescription, when determining how long it's been since you last filled the prescription. (But don't quote me on that.)

Usually, even with insurance, you can fill a new prescription a few days early (so you don't run out) -- though 3 weeks since the last 1-month script was filled may be too early. If you're paying out-of-pocket, you don't have to worry about the insurance-related limits, just any state dispensing limits there may be in NJ.

Some states now have prescription tracking databases. I'm not sure if NJ is one of them. Major chain pharmacies, and some smaller pharmacies, also have their own internal databases with prescription records, so if you go back to the place where you filled the last prescription, they should have a record.

Worst case scenario, you show up at CVS and they tell you to come back in a few days, and you've wasted a bit of time.

Unless you try to fill prescriptions very early on a regular basis, it's unlikely anyone would bat an eye.

For the best information, call the pharmacy at which you plan to fill the prescription. If there's a reason you need /want to fill the script early (travel, so you don't lose it, because you're in the neighborhood), let them know. They should be able to tell you whether there are any official NJ state-mandated dispensing limits and what the earliest you can fill the script is.

It helps if you stick with one pharmacy and get to know the staff -- they tend to be more helpful if you're a "known quantity" and not a stranger.

Good luck!

Laserbeak
12-06-13, 10:19 AM
I don't know if it's Federal or NY law, but here in NY a pharmacy can't refill any controlled substance more than like 3 or 4 days early. And that would be from the time it was actually dispensed not the date on the prescription.

You can always take it to a different pharmacy chain (you might want to fill it in NY or PA if you live nearby). If this is a one time thing, you should be fine doing that but if you're doing this all the time then some alarm bells might start ringing somewhere.