View Full Version : How do you get out of a bad funk?

phantasm
12-06-13, 03:16 PM
It seems like I get triggered so easily to feel bad about life, myself, other people... I have spurts of moments where I feel confident, happy and good about myself and life, then in another moment I feel like "what's it all for?".

These feelings just come out of nowhere it seems, and the doubt sets in about things ever getting better. Only to snap out of it when something exciting or new happens. So frustrating.

How do you snap out of bad funks when they happen?

sublimed4
12-06-13, 04:09 PM
You sound exactly like me when I was in my early 20's. I would be feeling good, then out of nowhere I would be in a funk with nothing but negative thoughts. I would also feel like any task was impossible. This was all before I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety & ADD.

At first, I would just grin and bear it until it passed which was usually a few days but then the episodes started to get worse and worse. I eventually saw a Psychiatrist who started me on Prozac and this really helped. My problem when I was first taking Prozac was not taking it once I started to feel better. I would take it for several months then go off of it because I felt I was better. WRONG! I would eventually find myself in a major funk and would have to wait a few weeks until the Prozac started to work. This pattern happened several times until I realized that just because you feel better, doesn't mean you are better.

Since then, I've been diagnosed with ADD and am taking Vyvanse for it. I am no longer on Prozac. I am on Wellbutrin and Vyvanse in the morning, then I take Klonopin an hour for bedtime to help with anxiety and sleep.

If you find yourself going in and out of funks, you should see a Psychiatrist if you are able to. How long do your funks last? How long has this been going on? Have you seen anyone yet? Are you on any meds?

Also, the seasons have a major role over our moods this time of year. I feel it every year once the days get shorter and the weather turns colder. Have you noticed it getting worse in the last 3-4 weeks?

Hang in there, there is hope and you do not have to feel this way! :)

Unmanagable
12-06-13, 07:16 PM
Some of the things that sometimes pull me out of a funk, in addition to taking my meds regularly:

Music, deep breathing techniques, movement (dancing and/or nature are highly suggested), go for a walk or ride, do something random and kind for someone else for no special reason, talk to a friend willing to listen, or take a hot bath or shower.

They all sound pretty easy to do until the funk actually sets in. Music seems to be the best option for me, thus far. Wishing you success in finding a method that works for you. Take good care.

Fuzzy12
12-06-13, 07:25 PM
That's exactly me too. I'm not sure what helps. Baby steps, taking it one minute at a time till things get better maybe. Till I get my next hit of stimulation.

Having something to do that you can look forward to every day might help as well tough it's difficult to muster motivation for anything when you are ina funk. I don't know maybe at the end of the day you just need to hold on to the hope that somehow at some point things will be better again.

:grouphug:

phantasm
12-06-13, 08:05 PM
You sound exactly like me when I was in my early 20's. I would be feeling good, then out of nowhere I would be in a funk with nothing but negative thoughts. I would also feel like any task was impossible. This was all before I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety & ADD.

At first, I would just grin and bear it until it passed which was usually a few days but then the episodes started to get worse and worse. I eventually saw a Psychiatrist who started me on Prozac and this really helped. My problem when I was first taking Prozac was not taking it once I started to feel better. I would take it for several months then go off of it because I felt I was better. WRONG! I would eventually find myself in a major funk and would have to wait a few weeks until the Prozac started to work. This pattern happened several times until I realized that just because you feel better, doesn't mean you are better.

Since then, I've been diagnosed with ADD and am taking Vyvanse for it. I am no longer on Prozac. I am on Wellbutrin and Vyvanse in the morning, then I take Klonopin an hour for bedtime to help with anxiety and sleep.

If you find yourself going in and out of funks, you should see a Psychiatrist if you are able to. How long do your funks last? How long has this been going on? Have you seen anyone yet? Are you on any meds?

Also, the seasons have a major role over our moods this time of year. I feel it every year once the days get shorter and the weather turns colder. Have you noticed it getting worse in the last 3-4 weeks?

Hang in there, there is hope and you do not have to feel this way! :)

I am on mood stabilizers for Bipolar 2, and they seem to help me a lot. I use to be worse. I have not tried any other mood altering drugs, and I really don't want to add to them. However, if this keeps happening, I would be open to it. I was diagnosed with Depression/Anxiety - Bipolar2, and ADHD last year. I have a great psychiatrist and psychologist.

How I'm feeling today is like my main state is depression and I can switch on a happy hat when something good happens. Then I go back to the depressive state. For example: My dog just came into the room and hopped up to give me a kiss then walked off. That put me in spurt of utter happiness, but the moment she is out of the room, my darkeness resumes. It's seems like the moment I am stuck alone with my own thoughts is when I get swept back into the funk.

phantasm
12-06-13, 08:29 PM
Having something to do that you can look forward to every day might help as well tough it's difficult to muster motivation for anything when you are ina funk.

:grouphug:

I actually have plans to meet with two old friends for dinner. I rarely do fun stuff like this and am looking forward to it. However what worries me is that I am still in a funk, even though I have something to look forward to. I know I will be happy and excited at that time, but I am not feeling that way right now and will most likely go back to the funk after. It's very frustrating.

Rebelyell
12-06-13, 09:19 PM
Well that's where friends and family come in to rescue you off the couch or outta bed instead of spending all day laying around on the couch doing nothing.Its bad for me right now because I have no one to pull me off the couch or motivate me so ill be gung ho for different things,get in a funk,try so hard and instead of jet skiing,quadding going out I spend it unable to function in bed or on the couch.I haven't told med nurse this yet and I probably shouldn't share this here as it is depressing and negative and will make others feel worse too.Go and have a great time,dont think of being in a funk later just enjoy the here n now and let it take you where its gonna take you.

Daydreamin22
12-06-13, 09:43 PM
Don’t isolate yourself or eat ice cream unfortunately. Instead exercise, increase you know what activity, and be social. Probably more.

Rebelyell
12-06-13, 09:48 PM
I sooo love ice cream when im bummed out tho,Ill eat the whole damn box

someothertime
12-07-13, 01:37 AM
Try distract with nourishing stuff. I.e. If there is a wobbly phase coming on/on... Rather than fight it... and resist avoid deny... like unmanagable said... slow it down and just chug along... lots of lil mellow sombre stuff...

For some though... meds are helpful

Andi
12-07-13, 01:51 AM
It's a catch-22. Exercise and fresh air can help but the energy to do it isn't there. I'm thankful that I have great people in my life that support and encourage me. If I can manage getting ready, even that can make me feel better.

Sometimes it's comforting petting my cat and giving him a good squeeze. He often knows I'm not doing well and comes over for love.

Also, positive imagery helps. Fluffy bunnies, yellow dookies, green meadows, flowers, etc.

crystldawn
12-07-13, 03:13 AM
That's me, exactly. When anything slightly negative happens, I drop into a funk like the world's going to end. Only two things seem to lift me back up, though I don't have the presence of mind to actively seek them out: my three year old daughter, and ANY completed task. If I can get up and empty the dishwasher, I feel a bit better, and then I load the dishwasher. Then the sink's empty, so I clean the sink, then the counters. It's a tiny little accomplishment, and doesn't really matter to anyone but me, but every task completed is a victory, and makes me feel more like a competent human being. It doesn't have to be housework - anything on my task list will do.

stef
12-07-13, 04:23 AM
sometimes you just have to "lie low" and let it pass
try doing some repetitive easy task. or flip through magazines
ifi try too hard when i feel this way i feel like some strange alien imposter and it gets even worse. but dont just do nothing, either!
omg this advice sucks, sorry...

Rebelyell
12-07-13, 05:54 PM
Thats what makes it so bad n maybe dangerous for me as I dont have any support systems or people to help me.This is how or why people can n do commit suicide n no one said they knew or saw it coming.

phantasm
12-07-13, 07:05 PM
Thats what makes it so bad n maybe dangerous for me as I dont have any support systems or people to help me.This is how or why people can n do commit suicide n no one said they knew or saw it coming.

I totally understand. :( What's worse is that there are a lot of people in my life and I feel the way you described because I trust no one. Well my sister, but she lives in another state and is super busy with her own life. I spent Thanksgiving with her and the family and it was really great for me. But now she's gone.

phantasm
12-07-13, 07:08 PM
Donít isolate yourself or eat ice cream unfortunately. Instead exercise, increase you know what activity, and be social. Probably more.

I had to look at my past post to see if I mentioned ice cream. :lol: It's funny you mentioned it because that's my "go to'. I bought some caramel butter pecan - Tillamook ice cream.

I can honestly live on ice cream. :yes:

phantasm
12-07-13, 07:11 PM
Stef - :giggle: Your post didn't suck. I appreciate that you took time to respond.

I appreciate all of you. You guys are very supportive, thank you!

Blanched Dubois
12-07-13, 07:58 PM
i shake up my routine = i make myself push past my comfort zones - i risk being alone to work on myself then push myself out the door and i always have resistance i ignore cus it's not gonna run me - that's it. and i am a bish so there's that too heh

fracturedstory
12-07-13, 09:25 PM
sometimes you just have to "lie low" and let it pass
try doing some repetitive easy task. or flip through magazines
ifi try too hard when i feel this way i feel like some strange alien imposter and it gets even worse. but dont just do nothing, either!
omg this advice sucks, sorry...

Nah, Stef, you're speaking my language.

Sometimes I feel the best thing to do is let it pass because with me it's always going to come back, especially after a certain high period. The body and brain needs time to relax after all that...whatever happened in the last few days.

Then, it can get too severe and last far longer and it starts to get in the way with relationships and your own self-confidence. This is when you want to work out ways to get out of it.

I find sometimes that going through depression and the horrible thoughts can actually lead me to some self-discovery, or enlightenment if you will. Anyway, I seem to learn more about a situation I'm faced with and start looking at it from another angle.

Today though I'm focusing on all the little things that annoy me about people.

What works for me is distraction because my mind just likes to change its focus onto things more interesting and stimulating. Usually it's on a TV show/movie or going to socialize and taking a break from my issues, though today I'm find it hard to know what can serve as a good distraction.

phantasm
12-07-13, 11:46 PM
Nah, Stef, you're speaking my language.

Sometimes I feel the best thing to do is let it pass because with me it's always going to come back, especially after a certain high period. The body and brain needs time to relax after all that...whatever happened in the last few days.

Then, it can get too severe and last far longer and it starts to get in the way with relationships and your own self-confidence. This is when you want to work out ways to get out of it.

I find sometimes that going through depression and the horrible thoughts can actually lead me to some self-discovery, or enlightenment if you will. Anyway, I seem to learn more about a situation I'm faced with and start looking at it from another angle.

Today though I'm focusing on all the little things that annoy me about people.

What works for me is distraction because my mind just likes to change its focus onto things more interesting and stimulating. Usually it's on a TV show/movie or going to socialize and taking a break from my issues, though today I'm find it hard to know what can serve as a good distraction.

I agree with everything you said, fractured. Iv'e tried to let it pass, and am now in the "need to stop this nonsence but don't know how" phase. Which is why I started this thread.

I completely agree that times like this can be insightful and I can either learn from it in one way or another. I usually come to the conclustion that I am resisting something and that resistence is what's stopping me from living my live freely. What I am resisting right now is withdrawing from the people that I feel insecure around. I don't like the insecurity that I feel when I'm with them, and after meeting with them. Sometimes it's my thoughts that make me feel insecure, or it's things they say, or judge that makes me feel insecure. And I hate that I ruminate about it. All the advice that I am getting is to stay away from people that don't serve me. And it is very hard for me to do since they are in my circle. So I withdraw from participating in things that I really really want to be a part of and it all just sucks and seems completely unfair and stupid. I'm damned if I meet up with these people and I'm damned if I don't. Then I get back to where I am now.

Ugh, why do some people have to suck?

Daydreamin22
12-08-13, 01:05 AM
I am on mood stabilizers for Bipolar 2, and they seem to help me a lot. I use to be worse. I have not tried any other mood altering drugs, and I really don't want to add to them. However, if this keeps happening, I would be open to it. I was diagnosed with Depression/Anxiety - Bipolar2, and ADHD last year. I have a great psychiatrist and psychologist.

How I'm feeling today is like my main state is depression and I can switch on a happy hat when something good happens. Then I go back to the depressive state. For example: My dog just came into the room and hopped up to give me a kiss then walked off. That put me in spurt of utter happiness, but the moment she is out of the room, my darkeness resumes. It's seems like the moment I am stuck alone with my own thoughts is when I get swept back into the funk.

Me too! I have ADHD Anxiety and Bipolar II. I just found out about the last two a few months ago. What do you take?

I’m with you on the dog thing. It’s night and day when my sister’s dog is here and I have my laptop on the forums. I am never alone anymore. I used to cry everynight going to sleep in high school. That was awful, but turned out ok.

Anyway, you can treat bipolar and adhd together. I take Adderall, and my psychologist (genius with medicines) also has me on lexapro, lamictal, and latuda. Trust me, not proud of naming this med cocktail. But, it works. It subdues the Adderall effect some, though.

phantasm
12-08-13, 01:40 PM
Me too! I have ADHD Anxiety and Bipolar II. I just found out about the last two a few months ago. What do you take?

Iím with you on the dog thing. Itís night and day when my sisterís dog is here and I have my laptop on the forums. I am never alone anymore. I used to cry everynight going to sleep in high school. That was awful, but turned out ok.

Anyway, you can treat bipolar and adhd together. I take Adderall, and my psychologist (genius with medicines) also has me on lexapro, lamictal, and latuda. Trust me, not proud of naming this med cocktail. But, it works. It subdues the Adderall effect some, though.

I cried myself to sleep a lot too. Except it was more in Junior high. I let the negativity in life really get to me, and I really try to get that under control. That's a work in progress. Now it just comes in unexpected spurts like this week.

My Pdoc started me on Ritalin and I about lost my mind. So they switched to treating my Bi-polar first. Still titrating on Lamactil and so far it's been such a blessing. Still working on the psychology aspect and putting life into perspective so I can work on myself. I've progressed a lot with the help of my docs. Until I get slammed with the downward spirals.

Daydreamin22
12-08-13, 04:06 PM
I was hypomanic on Adderall and didn’t know it because I didn’t have any friends or family around me. But, I was so relieved I wasn’t depressed and didn’t realize I was sharp. But, now I balance it out with both. It works. That’s awesome that you figured out how to control the negativity. I should probably develop that skill but imagine I’d need to be off adderall. How do you do that if you don’t mind me asking? Do you have a website or book or anything?

MX2012
12-08-13, 04:35 PM
phantasm -- love your signature lines -- LOL

phantasm
12-08-13, 06:53 PM
Thatís awesome that you figured out how to control the negativity. I should probably develop that skill but imagine Iíd need to be off adderall. How do you do that if you donít mind me asking? Do you have a website or book or anything?

I have learned different methods and tips from people on here and my pdoc. Nothing I can really refer you to in particular. But I have managed to find a way to see my thoughts. I noticed this distinction after starting both Lamactil and Ritalin.

What I'm trying to say is that when I get triggered getting really negative or depressed, there is something usually behind those thoughts. the trigger that brought it on. Like a tone in someones voice, something specific that someone said that made me offended, PMS, rain.

Before meds, it felt like I'd wake up and be depressed. I would go about my day, weeks being moody and annoyed ect without really knowing why. I would blame it on people or life or whatever seemed to fuel my feelings at the time but looking back, it was rarely those little things.

Basicly I learned in therapy and through other peoples experience to find the trigger that sent me in the downward spiral in the first place. Everything else that happens after the trigger just puts me in worse shape. It's only when I notice my triggers now, that I can then chose to accept the situation and move on, or figure out a way to avoid the situation.

For example: I know that certain people in my life are very hurtful for me to be around. They intentionally say stuff to bring me down and I feel very insecure and anxious around them. So they are my triggers. If I hang out with them, I will most likely be a hot mess the next few days/weeks and ruminate about the situation and all the whoa-is-me thoughts. That leads me to my current crappy state this month. The holidays have brought these people back into my life and I have let them in long enough to have the bad affect again. (MY fault thinking I could handle it)

Once the anger, resentment, ect starts to wear off and I get perspective on the situation (usually through talking it out with someone (pdoc or ADDF) I can finally see exactly what set me off and how to avoid the situation or handle the situation in the future.

As of right now, avoidance of these people is the best advice I have received and I'm trying soooo hard to practice it, but some situations are out of my control because it's the holidays.

Anywway, it really helped me just typing this out. :) Although I have no idea if that answers your question. :lol:

Daydreamin22
12-08-13, 08:09 PM
haha, I was just rolling with what you wrote. I’m sure you answered it. I forget my question but I followed you 100 percent of the way so thanks so much for the info! lol

I agree your signature is really funny.

“If I had a dollar for everytime i’ve seen that, I wish I had a puppy."

Rebelyell
12-08-13, 10:13 PM
Eat comfort foods?:o

janiew
12-08-13, 10:24 PM
Eat comfort foods?:o

Yeah, I eat well, sleep well, try to exercise, and I work my *** off.

Meds help too. :)

amberwillow
12-08-13, 11:13 PM
A shower is my go-to solution, followed by time outside, a walk, calling a friend etc...

I developed my own list of things that help, even if only a bit... Added up, the cumulative effect is enough most of the time. I just keep adding strategies until I reach *enough*.

What helps *a bit* for you?

phantasm
12-09-13, 12:40 AM
A shower is my go-to solution, followed by time outside, a walk, calling a friend etc...

I developed my own list of things that help, even if only a bit... Added up, the cumulative effect is enough most of the time. I just keep adding strategies until I reach *enough*.

What helps *a bit* for you?

A shower? I forgot about that one. :yes:

What really helps for me is to talk to someone. I usually hold things in waaaay too long until I feel like exploding. I think that no one will understand me and I don't want to feel judged so I keep it all to myself. My pdoc has come to the rescue lately. He's good since he is removed from the situation and can look at it respectively. I have friends but I'm more mentally exhausted after outings, so I limit get togethers.

This forum helps A LOT! :D

Sigh.... ice cream

Cooking, cleaning (really the after effect, not the hard work part) Exercise/yoga - but that all goes out the window when I get real low.
My 6 year old daughter. She is the sweetest thing ever. My current tv obsessions - Downton Abbey and The Paradise. Massages, but don't have the funds at the moment.

What else... :umm1:

janiew
12-09-13, 01:22 AM
Yeah, a shower or bath to wash it off and then a proactive list or idea of what is needed to fix / cure / deal with the situation.

Take a shower or bath, analyze the situation, and try to fix it as best you can. Put in your best effort. People will recognize your best effort.

Really...

janiew
12-09-13, 01:23 AM
Keep practicing that best **** stuff. You cannot lose. And you will be better than the NT crowd because they don't care as much.

Yeah, it is what it is.

sarahsweets
12-09-13, 06:17 AM
sex works.