View Full Version : Do any of you ever know when your period is coming?

spacewoman
12-07-13, 07:23 AM
For me, it's an unpleasant surprise ... every ... single ... time.

I gave blood yesterday, and here comes Aunt Flow, unannounced, this morning. I guess I'm gonna be low on iron for a while.

Pingu*
12-07-13, 08:15 AM
Mine is very irregular. So my best way of knowing is: if I suddenly get suicidal thoughts without any obvious reason, then it's likely to come within 1-2 weeks :)

namazu
12-07-13, 11:40 AM
I had a nice average 28-31 day cycle, but the range was something like 21-35 days, which isn't so helpful for prediction purposes.

Like pingu*, for me the best near-term predictor was feeling dysphoric and suicidal, and getting bad (migraine?) headaches. It also messed with my ADHD something fierce -- amplified the symptoms and made meds utterly ineffective.

I used to get bad cramps, too.

So, with the input of my pdoc, psychologist, and GP, I decided to start taking one of those 3-month cycle birth control pills. So I basically don't have to deal with it anymore. I'm not crazy about taking hormone pills, and remembering it at a consistent time daily is...challenging, to say the least.

But for me, it beat being completely unable to function for a week out of every month, and as a bonus, I don't have to worry about ruining my wardrobe due to Aunt Flow's unannounced visits.

Lunacie
12-07-13, 11:42 AM
Well I have complained a fair bit about how short my cycle was (only 23 days)
but it was fairly consistent -until I hit perimenopause.

Allegra113
12-07-13, 11:47 AM
I try to use a charting app to "warn" me, but I'm so irregular it doesn't much matter. Plus I tend to start and stop throughout the cycle. No fun.

Dr appt next week. Last time they wanted to do do a hysterectomy, but I said no. Thinking of it seriously now. I can't get pregnant again so that's not a loss.

Abi
12-07-13, 12:17 PM
The entire family knows when my sister's period is coming from about a week in advance. No idea id *SHE* knows though.

BellaVita
12-07-13, 12:23 PM
I write mine down each time it happens, then calculate the time it will likely occur next.

I usually get a panic attack each and every time the night before. And I can't sleep hardly. And I have horrible mood swings like a week prior to my TOM.

Actually, my period mood swings were the main reason I went in to the psychiatrist in the first case :lol:

Daydreamin22
12-07-13, 12:53 PM
lmao

but (((((Bella))))))

Tulip7171
12-07-13, 01:31 PM
I have the app iperiod on my phone. It's usually pretty accurate.

My cycle is pretty short, average 24 days, range is 22 to 26 days, & it drives me crazy! It can get pretty bad too. Excruciating cramps, migraines, fatigue, muscle weakness...

I get dysphoric and suicidal about a week before; I tell people I'm stabby & they usually get the hint to leave me alone & to ignore my outbursts.

It also messes with my ADHD, & that frustration doesn't help with the stabby.

Daydreamin22
12-07-13, 03:25 PM
Congrats, you’re a winner!
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154192&page=2

SquarePeg
12-08-13, 07:16 PM
When I was on the contraceptive pill I knew only because of the packet. However I have no idea now whether I am irregular or regular simply because I can never be organised enough to keep a record of it. I keep meaning to but somehow never manage it, surprise surprise. I do usually get really irrationally moody and angry and depressed which causes my 2 teenagers to make "PMT" remarks and then the penny drops and I think "oh yeah my period must be due"

ashlers
12-22-13, 11:55 PM
I learned a long time ago to download this period tracker app on my iphone. my period is not ALWAYS on point of course so I'll usually be a couple days off from prediction days but not by too much! this helps me a bunch because before I used to just be surprised by my period all of the time. :giggle:

Allegra113
12-23-13, 12:18 AM
Woo hoo! Only 5-6 more periods for the rest of my life!!!

Seriously, I've had more "girl problems" than almost anyone I know. This will put my life back on track (at least in one area) hopefully.

ReyneeDay
12-23-13, 03:02 PM
Oh wow! This is so cool. I used to have very regular periods myself, until I hit this thing called perimenopause. Some of my docs told me I am too young, but the symptoms have become too blaringly obvious now, they won't deny it. Perimenopause is what made my ADD symptoms worse too. I know when mine is coming. about a week before it starts, I get severe mood swings, everything anyone does irritates the crap out of me, and a day or so before actual start, I get a migraine. Ive had the severe mood swings around my cycle for most of my life since my periods started, but they have gotten much worse in the past few years. I rarely get a surprise visit from Fred the Red.

willow129
12-23-13, 07:58 PM
I used to be able to tell from my mood when my period was coming....like suddenly just waking up weeping haha. Sometimes I would also have dreams that my period was coming and then there it was! Also sometimes I would have a little stomach upset the week before.

Fuzzy12
12-23-13, 08:04 PM
No idea. They used to be fairly regular but now they just seem to come at random. I wouldn't know. I never not them down and if I do I forget that I did or forget where I wrote them down. I hate my periods. I freak out whenever I think about them thinking they are late and whenever I get them I'm dissappointed. :doh:

mirandatoritess
12-23-13, 08:31 PM
sometimes you can feel cramps and the feeling a few hours before.

Fuzzy12
12-23-13, 08:36 PM
sometimes you can feel cramps and the feeling a few hours before.

My breasts usually start aching like crazy in the few days before my periods but they do that when I'm ovulating as well which is very confusing. and anxiety and suicidal ideation rocket sky high but I only ever make the connection ononce I've got my periods and am feeling better.

salleh
12-23-13, 10:01 PM
I was blind-sided every time., and I was on birth control pills for years.....when I moved out of my parents house to go to college, my Dad handed me 6 months worth of BC pills and told me to take them ......in 1968, abortions were still illegal, and I know he didn't want me to go through that ......nor did he want me to get pregnant .....

...and it was the height of the peace and love era ....1968 ....and I lived in Newport Beach, California ....and I hit the college campus the first day and started looking ......hummm you ??? or perhaps you ???? or will it be you ?????

...in those days BC pills were so strong you could forget them all the time, as long as you took 2 the next day or 3, if you forgot 2 days ....and they worked just fine ...I know this cause I was notorious for forgetting .....

.....hardly ever cramped, and no noticable crankiness, or mood swings ....just annoyed at the icky ....

Asylum
12-31-13, 01:58 AM
Mine's gone missing. I'm worried because I've been getting really bad stomach pain and sickness, but can't see GP until my app in a couple of weeks.

BellaVita
12-31-13, 02:01 AM
Mine's gone missing. I'm worried because I've been getting really bad stomach pain and sickness, but can't see GP until my app in a couple of weeks.

This isn't good. If things come to it you may need to go to the ER.

Any other symptoms? Where exactly is the stomach pain?

Do you have your appendix?

Diony
12-31-13, 06:08 AM
Get it checked out! It could be a cyst, i went to the er last winter from pain that was really bad i couldnt stand amd thy ended up doing a laparoscopy, it was in and out operation! Same day! Just like an hour long! And got to go home right after!Mine's gone missing. I'm worried because I've been getting really bad stomach pain and sickness, but can't see GP until my app in a couple of weeks.