View Full Version : What will I be perscribed?

risefromashes
12-08-13, 08:45 PM
About three months ago I have been diagonosed add inattentive type, my parents have been delaying the medication process because the bad rap add medications have received (and I haven't been pushing them because I'm lazy). I know for a fact I will eventually be put on something though because the physiologist said he's surprised it wasn't picked up earlier, I think the reason for this is my parents shelter me quite a lot so it went undetected up until high school (when it started getting hard). My question is what medication will I be prescribed, the reason I'm wondering also is I was told I am depressed. Does this rule out stimulants?

janiew
12-08-13, 09:16 PM
No, don't think so but I'm not a pdoc. Depression and / or anxiety can happen in response to untreated ADHD/ADD. Seems like untreated ADHD/ADD can move past depression and anxiety into the OCD range based on my experience. Not uncommon.

Figure out how you feel, describe it, and stick to your guns. Help your pdoc analyze it and treat it. Honesty is paramount.

Nate W
12-08-13, 09:25 PM
It may take several trials to arrive at the best medication for you for your ADHD and perhaps a different medication (there again, you may have to try different meds) for your depression until you find the best match that balances side effects with symptom control. This is why it is critical to have a doctor that knows what they are doing.

Also, you may want to explore the different medication forums here to see what is available and how people respond and or like them.

As for the stimulants, side effects tend to wane with time for a lot of people, so don't give up to soon, like I almost did.

--Nate

janiew
12-08-13, 09:35 PM
For me, Adderall is excellent and I take it as needed for work and social obligations. I try to temper it so that it won't stop working and we won't need to increase the dose.

I also take Intuniv 4mg for ADHD, anxiety, and tics.

And I take Prozac for anxiety / OCD.

My pdoc has worked with me to tweak the meds and my experience of the results are pretty good. I do not expect perfection and have to work on myself all the time.

It can take time to find the right mix. Be patient, pay attention to your body's response, and keep open communication with your pdoc.

Laserbeak
12-09-13, 01:38 AM
Depression doesn't rule out stimulants at all. You may get Adderall or Ritalin, but it all depends on the doctor and what he's comfortable prescribing and what he thinks would work best for you. You can take Adderall alongside Prozac, Wellbutrin or other antidepressants. You can also take anti-anxiety medications like benzodiazepines with all these. It usually takes a couple of years to build up to such a cocktail of drugs though, usually doctors don't 'want to prescribe you a ton of new things all at once.

dvdnvwls
12-09-13, 04:39 AM
Depression does not rule out stimulants.

However, treatment for depression occasionally does temporarily rule out treatment for ADHD. Sometimes, some doctors prefer to start by dealing with one thing at a time, and will generally begin with whichever they perceive as the worst or most difficult problem.

Supermom
12-16-13, 11:13 PM
In the beginning you will most likely be prescribed ritalin. I know in all three cases in my family of ADD sufferers they were prescribed ritalin first before trying anything else. I would recommend ritalin, but you might react differently to different drugs.

In my experience, ritalin is strong enough to improve your attention and help you get tasks done, but is not to strong like other medications which sometimes cause strange side effects.

Good luck!

psychological1
12-17-13, 04:25 AM
There is no way of knowing, only conjecture. For me, my doc doesn't believe in stimulants, so I've been loaded with useless sugar pills that fail over and over (Wellbutrin, Clonidine, Strattera, Guanfacine, Nuvigil...). You can be much more confident that your doctor will start you with a stimulant, as he sounds like he recognizes ADHD as a treatable condition, unlike mine whose first words to me were, "I think that ADD is a bunch of hogwash." anyway, for starters, it's mostly a matter of amphetamine vs methylphenidate, and it really could go either way.

mirandatoritess
12-17-13, 12:20 PM
it really depends on the doctor. You can also request for a certain type of medication.