View Full Version : Milk and Wheat allergies and ADHD,, and the brain gut connection

Kunga Dorji
12-11-13, 12:23 AM
Given some skeptical comments that have been raised about the brain gut connection- here is some material to start with:

I am only starting to get my head around this.

From Dr Charles Parker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v6hM9acQVU&list=PL321-bGRTfd8YzrGaIPrguAvnC2RneDqh&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvXvWWYPaGQ&list=PL321-bGRTfd8aFE_AhB43UnsRTiYAo6me&index=3

This interview is just a "Heads up" no detail, he has much more detail on his website (CorePsych)

4mygirlsnme
12-11-13, 09:40 AM
More to look into, Thanks. I love getting new info to look at, even if it is a rehashing of material I have already read. Often times, its a chance to help understand other materials. Thanks again.

SB_UK
12-11-13, 11:31 AM
Both dairy and gluten eliminated for a while now.

Life is hard :-)

4mygirlsnme
12-11-13, 01:04 PM
Both dairy and gluten eliminated for a while now.

Life is hard :-)

It is difficult. our diet is as engrained in us as our personality is it seems. I have done well at removing the added sugars and processed foods. Some remain though because I can only afford certain changes at this time. I know many people face this problem as well but one of my favorite authors, Michael Pollan states that those who can buy organic should but those who cannot should change what they can. Any changes for the good in diet are good changes and can easily be added to as your ability rises.
I'm getting there.

Unmanagable
12-11-13, 01:14 PM
I've been gluten-free for about a month now, and eliminated most of the dairy (cheese is one of my weaknesses), and feel definite improvements in many areas of my overall health, which, of course, help me to better manage the rest of the chaos.

I have to plan for a few hours when I grocery shop, due to the lack of access to healthy, organic whole foods in the typical grocery stores, but if I do it well, I only have to shop once that week vs. multiple runs to grab a "few things" here and there.

Making time the following day to prep the food is a huge help, too.

I find the costs have been evened out, in a way. Eating whole foods that my body recognizes allows it to process them as it knows how, so my body isn't left craving more food from the processed varieties I used to eat.

It's a painful process, but one that has been worth it in many ways.

Lunacie
12-11-13, 01:17 PM
Allergies may mimic ADHD traits or make ADHD symptoms worse,
but there is no proof that ADHD is caused by allergies.

4mygirlsnme
12-11-13, 01:25 PM
I've been gluten-free for about a month now, and eliminated most of the dairy (cheese is one of my weaknesses), and feel definite improvements in many areas of my overall health, which, of course, help me to better manage the rest of the chaos.

I have to plan for a few hours when I grocery shop, due to the lack of access to healthy, organic whole foods in the typical grocery stores, but if I do it well, I only have to shop once that week vs. multiple runs to grab a "few things" here and there.

Making time the following day to prep the food is a huge help, too.

I find the costs have been evened out, in a way. Eating whole foods that my body recognizes allows it to process them as it knows how, so my body isn't left craving more food from the processed varieties I used to eat.

It's a painful process, but one that has been worth it in many ways.

We are working hard to get the "extras" I call them out of our diet as well. We have found it extremely difficult to add organic veg though and this has made me look into growing them. While in the summer I have a garden, winters in WI are brutal at times and so other means were sought. Aquaponics is my choice I think since it can be done in many sizes that allow you to grow with experience and need.

Guess this is a start, we ultimately are saving to move to a place where animals and gardens are possible, even a farm is on the table.

4mygirlsnme
12-11-13, 01:40 PM

Lunacie, I believe this is true and the numerous causal factors are likely the reason for so many and sometimes vastly different treatments. I like Dr. Barkley's take on ADHD as it is science of the brain and while he discusses treatments in the video I watch most, he explains to the parents the science he has found.
Many things about this trait still puzzle me as there is so much out there about it, just not laid out in such a way that a layman can clearly determine anything about it.
Diet was just where we chose to begin after hearing Dr. Lustig's Sugar the bitter truth on youtube. Since then it has been many other things we have discovered that go along with the diet changes.

addthree
12-11-13, 02:23 PM
Gluten is the latest fad diet. The only reason people have become so intolerant of gluten is because processed foods are loaded with it. Gluten was never a major player in our diets until recently. Even if you eliminate all processed foods it cannot rewire your ADD brain.
If you really want to know how to eat contact Maharishi Ayurveda.

4mygirlsnme
12-11-13, 02:37 PM
Gluten is the latest fad diet. The only reason people have become so intolerant of gluten is because processed foods are loaded with it. Gluten was never a major player in our diets until recently. Even if you eliminate all processed foods it cannot rewire your ADD brain.
If you really want to know how to eat contact Maharishi Ayurveda.

I agree that the ADD brain is what it is and will not be "re-wired" by the removal of gluten. Here is how I see the diet issue in particular.
Gluten as well as many of the other allergens are simply no longer tolerated as we have changed the diet to include foods that have ingredients that in one way or another alter the lining of the intestine allowing these proteins to enter the blood stream without being taking part in metabolism. These proteins will be viewed by the body as foreign and will begin the inflammatory process to rid itself of the protein it doesn't like.
Real layman terms but in essence Gluten, caseins, and other proteins would not likely affect us if we did not perverse the foods we eat creating what Michael Pollan would call food like substances.
It is our allowance of government and industry to control our diet and beliefs of what is nutrition, moving way to far from the natural diet we as animals were designed to eat.
While I do not speak from a professional level, I have looked for four years at this in depth and I am no closer to many of the needed answers :)

meadd823
12-16-13, 05:06 AM

The symptoms are so much a like how would one know the difference without going through a bunch of expensive test few of us can afford - If an elimination diet improves symptoms hey go for it.

I will admit a gluten free diet is very hard to maintain especially for an ADHDer - I tried it because of my arthritis.

Lunacie
12-16-13, 08:57 AM
The symptoms are so much a like how would one know the difference without going through a bunch of expensive test few of us can afford - If an elimination diet improves symptoms hey go for it.

I will admit a gluten free diet is very hard to maintain especially for an ADHDer - I tried it because of my arthritis.

From what I'm reading, there is no test at present that can detect gluten
intolerance or gluten sensitivity. There is no test at present that can detect
ADHD either. It could be interesting to see what research shows in the future,
but like you, we found a gluten-free diet very difficult to maintain.

There is a test for Celiac's disease, and my granddaughter did not test positive
for that, so we stopped working so hard on the gluten-free diet.

Corina86
12-16-13, 11:41 AM
I'm not giving up gluten and dairy even if my life depends on it! Especially since sugar is definitely not good for me and I don't really like meat. I have a very fast metabolism and I need a tone of food to keep my weight (48 kg), so I can't survive only on fruit and vegetables, unless I spend my days like a cow: eating and pooping and nothing else. I've given up on most unhealthy food, but I still have a sweet-tooth, but it's not doing anything for my attention and focus. Oh, and I spent years of my life without eating almost any dairy or gluten- because I didn't like them back then- but I was still the same.

Amtram
12-16-13, 11:55 AM
This is another example of working backwards. In each case where a brain-gut connection has been found, the research was being done on the gastrointestinal condition, or on food sensitivities and allergies. Changing the diet to accommodate the digestive issue or removing foods that were a problem led to the additional effect of positive mental or emotional changes.

All this means is that the digestive or food sensitive person is negatively affected mentally or emotionally by their condition or by the problematic food, and changing their diet resolves the mental or emotional difficulties caused by the food intolerance.

Nothing has been established other than that, and there is no reason at this point to assume that any other mental or emotional problems are caused or worsened by food in the absence of a gastrointestinal condition or known food sensitivity. Assuming so is completely speculative, and research into manipulating diet and the intestinal microbiome is in its infancy.

Right now, all that has happened is that small clinical trials with volunteers has started to see if it's possible to change the microbiome with diet. One such study has shown proof of concept, but with only ten people and a couple of months of testing, it provides nothing but a demonstration that it can be done.

SB_UK
12-16-13, 12:02 PM

- for joint inflammation also !

4mygirlsnme
12-16-13, 12:35 PM
I'm not giving up gluten and dairy even if my life depends on it! Especially since sugar is definitely not good for me and I don't really like meat. I have a very fast metabolism and I need a tone of food to keep my weight (48 kg), so I can't survive only on fruit and vegetables, unless I spend my days like a cow: eating and pooping and nothing else. I've given up on most unhealthy food, but I still have a sweet-tooth, but it's not doing anything for my attention and focus. Oh, and I spent years of my life without eating almost any dairy or gluten- because I didn't like them back then- but I was still the same.

I will admit that I am enjoying the fact that we are following some fairly simply guidelines and enjoy our regular foods, with just a bit of learning we are able to make from scratch a lot of sustaining foods that we love. Baked goods are always made since I have no snacks left to grab in lil packs anymore.
I think I would die myself without gluten or dairy. I love my milk. I have a ton of digestive issues and while we can't afford to go get "healed", we can do it slowly ourselves. We aren't going for any certain diet, just real food and support from professionals and others. We are open to help in this area because we recognize the great deal of differences between whether or not medication is right. Personally, (and sorry this is another thread) Ours are medicated but we are trying to make a difference in other ways. Make sense?