View Full Version : MIndful control of genetic transcription.

Kunga Dorji
12-11-13, 09:30 AM
This one is just too good not to share:
Researchers Finally Show How Mindfulness and Your Thoughts Can Induce Specific Molecular Changes To Your Genes (http://www.wakingtimes.com/2013/12/05/researchers-finally-show-mindfulness-thoughts-can-induce-specific-molecular-changes-genes/)

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2013/12/05/researchers-finally-show-mindfulness-thoughts-can-induce-specific-molecular-changes-genes/#!

With evidence growing that training the mind or inducing specific modes of consciousness can have beneficial health effects, scientists have sought to understand how these practices physically affect the body. A new study by researchers in Wisconsin, Spain, and France reports the first evidence of specific molecular changes in the body following a period of intensive mindfulness practice.
The study investigated the effects of a day of intensive mindfulness practice in a group of experienced meditators, compared to a group of untrained control subjects who engaged in quiet non-meditative activities. After eight hours of mindfulness practice, the meditators showed a range of genetic and molecular differences, including altered levels of gene-regulating machinery and reduced levels of pro-inflammatory genes, which in turn correlated with faster physical recovery from a stressful situation.

and

“To the best of our knowledge, this is the first paper that shows rapid alterations in gene expression within subjects associated with mindfulness meditation practice,” says study author Richard J. Davidson, founder of the Center for Investigating Healthy Minds and the William James and Vilas Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

and

“Most interestingly, the changes were observed in genes that are the current targets of anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs,” says Perla Kaliman, first author of the article and a researcher at the Institute of Biomedical Research of Barcelona, Spain (IIBB-CSIC-IDIBAPS), where the molecular analyses were conducted.

and again:

The results of Davidson’s study show a down-regulation of genes that have been implicated in inflammation. The affected genes include the pro-inflammatory genes RIPK2 and COX2 as well as several histone deacetylase (HDAC) genes, which regulate the activity of other genes epigenetically by removing a type of chemical tag. What’s more, the extent to which some of those genes were downregulated was associated with faster cortisol recovery to a social stress test involving an impromptu speech and tasks requiring mental calculations performed in front of an audience and video camera.

So, finally, the entire theoretical basis of scientific materialism has been demolished by the skilful application of the scientific method.

Given Davidson's stature as a researcher, these results will be replicated.
You can count on it.

Positive outlook will result in a healthier body.

I can see a few of the old guard going into orbit when this gets out.

Maybe we will have Comet Harriet Hall and Comet Stephen Novella?
I am positive this will be fun to watch.

Amtram
12-11-13, 11:36 AM
Actually, this is an example of a different dynamic of epigenetics. It is being used as a proof of concept to justify a more extensive, long-term study that will hopefully uncover the specific mechanism, whether it's tied to particular genes, how long the epigenetic effect lasts, and whether its duration is tied to frequency of mindfulness practice.

Rather than demolishing "the entire theoretical basis of scientific materialism," it supports it by showing that there is an observable, testable, repeatable physical mechanism that can be subject to further experimentation.

If you look at the article (http://www.news.wisc.edu/22370)from the University of Wisconsin, you'll see that the results are preliminary, but did focus on changes to a specific set of genes:

The results show a down-regulation of genes that have been implicated in inflammation. The affected genes include the pro-inflammatory genes RIPK2 and COX2 as well as several histone deacetylase (HDAC) genes, which regulate the activity of other genes epigenetically by removing a type of chemical tag.

meadd823
12-16-13, 12:52 AM
Study reveals gene expression changes with meditation (http://www.news.wisc.edu/22370)

Previous studies in rodents and in people have shown dynamic epigenetic responses to physical stimuli such as stress, diet, or exercise within just a few hours.

Our genes are quite dynamic in their expression and these results suggest that the calmness of our mind can actually have a potential influence on their expression," Davidson says.

"The regulation of HDACs and inflammatory pathways may represent some of the mechanisms underlying the therapeutic potential of mindfulness-based interventions," Kaliman says. "Our findings set the foundation for future studies to further assess meditation strategies for the treatment of chronic inflammatory conditions."

I believe the point was to demonstrate that there is scientific evidence that mindfulness causes physical changes within the Gerome of humans.

The point is what has been constantly referred to as unsubstantiated mumbo jumbo misinformation on this site may indeed have falsifiable evidence to back up it's usefulness for medical conditions. I mean how many debates regarding mind over matter in the form of mindfulness, enviroment and the hard core medical approaches have we had on this site are to many to count

The nice guys way of responding to all those past accusations regarding mindfulness as being "hocus pokus" because of not having scientific evidence regarding the value of mindfulness as a form of treatment =

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s206/tlr823/borrowed%20small%20pics/pfft_zps9b0fe96b.jpg

. . . . .

janiew
12-16-13, 01:14 AM
Interesting. Maybe genetics aren't responsible for our programming? I would be down with changing many things if I could...

How does it work? Positive thinking, deep breathing, different diet, more exercise, maybe some yoga, or better prayers / spirituality?

Just curious and not meaning to come across like an ***...

meadd823
12-16-13, 01:25 AM
I think the misunderstanding is within the words "scientific materialism" - although religion is not an allowable topic in this area what I am truly after here is the below definition of scientific materialism

What is "scientific materialism" and how does it enter into the science-religion discussion? (http://www.sciencemeetsreligion.org/theology/scientific-materialism.php)

This common underlying worldview is known as "scientific materialism" or "scientism." As defined by twentieth century philosophers William James and Alfred North Whitehead, for instance, scientific materialism is the belief that physical reality, as made available to the natural sciences, is all that truly exists [Haught2010, pg. 48].

This is not the same thing as using the empirical method of scientific discovery - How the article demolishes what is referred to a scientific materialism is that the meditation takes place first then the measuring physical changes ; meaning the physical changes came after the altered state of consciousnesses NOT the other way around

Amtram
12-16-13, 12:51 PM
Ummm. . .you can't measure changes after a process if you haven't established a baseline first. The fact that the biological mechanism being investigated in the first place had already been observed scientifically, and the research included measurements to indicate change demonstrates that this is, indeed, a "materialistic" piece of research. Rather than relying on a qualitative study of mindfulness, which provides weak evidence and not much information that can be used for further research, this one takes a known mechanism and quantitatively measures a change.

The article has a bias that was not included in the actual study. The study does not "demolish" materialism by using material measures to demonstrate a material change.

Dizfriz
12-16-13, 01:49 PM
So, finally, the entire theoretical basis of scientific materialism has been demolished by the skilful application of the scientific method.

I would like to comment on this one statement. Since Scientific Materialism is a philosophical position as well as a metaphysical one, it would be difficult to falsify. This research does not do this since there is no supernatural explanation involved or presented.

The material presented is physical and measurable and fits very well into methodical naturalism.

To the data: Interesting. I did not read the actual study but only the article you cited (a little over the top in spots imo) but interesting and the press release from the university.

It is going to be interesting where this research takes us. But again the whole field of epigenetics is fascinating in its potential to explain so many things that just simple gene expression alone has difficulty with. Like unlocking a whole new set of genetic doors.

Thanks for the catch.

Dizfriz

Simenora
12-16-13, 02:23 PM
this discussion deserves a little neuroplasticity... :-)

SB_UK
12-16-13, 04:51 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s206/tlr823/borrowed%20small%20pics/pfft_zps9b0fe96b.jpg

. . . . .

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/clever-dog-glasses-7881703.jpg

(ps dogs rule!)