View Full Version : Senioritis setting in early?

swimmom
12-11-13, 06:47 PM
I have a 17 1/2 yo son who is a senior. He is a swimmer and is involved in show choir and at our church. He values those activities.

He has been very busy of late with extracurriculars, and he is dropping the ball at school. He and I talked ahead of this busy time about how he would have to focus on the "have to dos" a little more than he usually does, to stay on top of things. He didn't.

Everyone is on his case right now, and he's frustrated. He says, "I'm passing all my classes, who cares?" He's going to community college next year, so really, he does only need to pass.

I can't shut off my worry, but none of my nagging or trying to coach or reason with him is working.

Thoughts?

pooka
12-11-13, 08:28 PM
I'm also a high school senior dealing with early onset senioritis.

I think the reason I'm having such a hard time dealing with it is that I just don't see the point of it anymore. The end is so close and there's nothing I hate more than jumping through unnecessary hoops. I want to do things I care about, not things that appear completely pointless to me.

If you could explain to him why it's important to you that he keep trying hard in school, maybe it would help. Then again maybe not because speaking as a teenager myself, he might brush it off.

Honestly, with an ADHD kid I think it's extremely difficult to force them to put a lot of effort into something they don't see value in. In my view it's awesome that he values his extracurricular activities and wants to dedicate his time to those - if he knows what he wants to do in the future and it has to do with those activities, I would do nothing but encourage that and not require more than passing grades from him.

If he doesn't know what he wants to do later on, or if he does and doing well in high school is going to be necessary for it, I would emphasize that. Make sure he knows what is dependent on his high school grades, and maybe offer to check in with him periodically on how he's doing rather than having everyone be on his case causing frustration.

I'm not a parent so obviously I don't know, but since I'm going through the same thing as your son maybe my perspective might be helpful :)

Allegra113
12-13-13, 12:27 AM
I am a teacher and I have ADHD. I use my past stories for my students when they face this. (I teach middle school, but it is still applicable.)

Many of my students are amazing athletes, but cannot achieve eligibility status to play. I talk about how I lost my athletic scholarship due to poor grades and bad choices. I dont go into what those bad choices were, that would be inappropriate. By allowing my past mistakes to be a "real" lesson (not one that is just lectured to them) helps to motivate.

Another issue with many students (and adults) with ADHD is executive functioning skill deficits. One book that is helpful for many of my parents is "Smart but Scattered". They just came out with a teen version. I am using the book in addition to my own executive functioning curriculum to help many of my students. Motivation and planning is a large part of this.

Good luck with the remainder of the year! My senior year of high school was about when I only could focus on the classes I found interesting and soccer. I am grateful that I had a few amazing teachers that helped me succeed.

bcjewels
03-02-14, 05:16 PM
Thank you Allegra for the book recommendation. I will get Smart but Scattered. Thank you !
:goodpost: