View Full Version : Brain Connectivity Problems May Be At Root Of Dyslexia

sarahsweets
12-12-13, 11:41 AM
For the record I dont believe 75% of what HP puts out there and rest assured I read much better news sources daily but when I see an article that seems relevent, knowing HP reaches the masses I thought I would share it. Its not perfect science of course, but it is in the media and interesting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/06/dyslexia-brain-connectivity-problems_n_4398988.html

Corina86
12-12-13, 02:36 PM
It's not very conclusive study. In fact, the last sentence gives another perfectly good explanation for the connectivity problems in dyslexics. Maybe this study should have been done an children who haven't learned to read yet.

SB_UK
12-13-13, 08:37 AM
Noticed many times over the relationship between 2 people -

one tending towards or actually dyslexic with great spatial sense
and
one tending towards excellent verbal skills with no spatial sense.

Funnily enough - I think that IQ tests test out verbal and spatial abilities
- and that I believe we often note that our verbal skills > spatial skills.

What am I suggesting.

That pair-bond formation between man and woman can occur with mind types spatial and verbal forming a bond.

So - these types can be in physical male or female gender - and represent a 'gender' to mind which is independent of physical gender.

Of the people I know (n = ~10 couples) - there's a skew but not completely - towards male (physical) being verbal (mental).
However the person I know with most dyslexia is male - and his wife happens to be the person I know with greatest language skills (10 or so languages).

People who have no spatial sense but have verbal sense - are strongly favoured in the formal educational establishment.

I didn't notice any problems in education with no spatial sense until having to learn human anatomy.

What a pain!! Couldn't do it.

SB_UK
12-13-13, 08:45 AM
Here's the sort of idea (http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt84026.html) - just searching for more info ... ...
On the Stanford Binet, taken at the age of 12, my verbal IQ was 167. On the other hand, my performance (visual spatial) IQ was 72. Is this unusual at all?

That's my type of pattern.

SB_UK
12-13-13, 08:51 AM
I think I've called it 'eye' [spatial] and 'ear' [verbal] people previously - preferences for optical and aural information demarcating type of mind which predisposes the individual towards dyslexia or poor spatial orientation - as a 'marker' of a type of mind which'll pair-bond with its opposite ?
That's the kind of idea.

I literally see nothing and hear everything.

I think I've called it cat (sight) and dog (hearing) people previously - also ... ... but it doesn't work entirely - because cats have great hearing too.

SB_UK
12-13-13, 09:48 AM
Just seeing how this works out.

I'm after a male and a female type of mind - which are 'guides' to the two duals which'll pair-bind (higher love).
Note - mention of archetype doesn't mean female gender, though female archetype will be enriched in female gender.

spatial (dyslexia) - empathizing - illogical - 'female archetype' - ADD-I - towards schizophrenia - enriched in manual work - female gender enriched - eye people

verbal (poor-spatial) - systematizing - logical - 'male archetype'- ADHD - towards Asperger's/autism - University enriched - male gender enriched - ear people

What am I trying to get at ?
That we've 2 types of minds. That these types betray a polarity which'll express itself through bonding to a polar opposite. That tendency towards one side - will mean that particular training is required to correct the imbalance ie don't stream people with speciality - ensure that a verbal is given spatial training, and a spatial - verbal.

Posted to see of any more ideas come through.

The point I appear to be making is that we're seeing polarities just like male and female gender at the level of mind - which gives us a clue as to the partner which any given mind-type 'll be attracted towards.

We know that there's enrichment in autism if 2 male archetypes form a relationship (Simon Baron Cohen)
- and so there's yet more reason to suggest that polarity at physical and mental level is necessary for a relationship.

Once again stressed - that regardless of the Uni discipline - systematizing mind is strongly selected for ie SBC's finding of higher levels of autism in University staff marriages.

SB_UK
12-13-13, 11:55 AM
What is dyslexia ?
An aspect of mind which can be partly overcome - which is only a disability in a word heavy environment - of our own doing
- where as far as I can see - next to none of the words which are used - actually mean anything useful.

Example - take every word using in all legal systems and delete.
The entire suite of legal systems of the world mean nothing - because in the Age of Enlightenment - where all people are equal
- there will be no legal system.

The legal system is a mechanism of enforcing inequality.

-*-

There's nothing wrong with the dyslexic and everything wrong with the word heavy society which the dyslexic lives in.
So many words which mean nothing.

The most 'impaired' dyslexic I know - is only disadvantaged in the bureaucratic element of his job - and not the actual element - the job itself.

meadd823
12-16-13, 02:30 AM
As a well compensated dyslexic myself the below best matches my experience as I can read thing written on the level of a phd just don't ask me to spell any thing above a fourth grade level - I also read whole sentence not single words which can be confusing by themselves

This research suggests that for dyslexic readers, the left brain areas associated with phonetic decoding are ineffective. While a non-dyslexic reader finds such pathways an efficient route to reading, the dyslexic reader essentially becomes entangled in a neural traffic jam. In contrast, dyslexics who bypass these mental pathways, relying more on areas of the brain involved in nonverbal thought and in analytic thought, are able to become capable readers.

Read more: http://www.dyslexia.com/science/different_pathways.htm#ixzz2ncIgMyBA