View Full Version : What a difference a year can make

cillovely
12-12-13, 11:43 AM
My 6 year old son, who was diagnosed as severe ADHD last year and put on medication at that point, had a rough year in Kindergarten. He was kicked out of the after school program for kicking a girl, kicked off the bus for swinging his back pack at people and I got several calls from the principal, most memorable was the call a couple of weeks after the Sandy Hook tragedy where he said he was going to kill everyone at school. He never knew about Sandy Hook and after being suspended for a day I then had to tell him what happened. The teacher did daily reports for us and very rarely did she say "he had a great day". It became a source of stress for him and myself facing her report at the end of the day. If he mentioned guns or weapons at recess it was like he murdered someone. The same bull that you hear about on the news. These are 5 and 6 year old kids, they are just playing. Not really plotting to blow up the school. We did put a 504 in place at the end of the year, he was denied an IEP when the diagnosis was first made and we had him tested by the school.

Fast forward to this year, 1st grade, new school, same public school system. I waited and waited for the phone calls to come or the notes from the teacher and or principal but none came. A couple of warnings from the bus driver but only one written warning (he was poking holes in the seats!).

Last night was our offical 1st parent teacher meeting for this year. This teacher said how much she loves having him in her class, how hard he tries and wants to do well. Totally blew me away. I was expecting the same "oh he needs to settle down, he's too active" blah blah blah. She said he gets a bit restless at the end of the day, but that's when the meds are wearing off.

Personally I think my son and his teacher from last year just did not click. And that teacher also didn't want to deal with an ADHD kid, expected him to sit still and not make a peep. I also think the principal of this school is a bit more understanding and realistic when it comes to kids being kids. And this year's teacher has more patience with kids like my son, I know she has another ADHD besides him in her class and she dosen't even have an offical assistant for her class where the other 1st grades do. She said he tested her at the start of this year, but she kept him in for one recess and that was it, he's been great since.

I know there will be ups and downs going forward but I am just so happy at this moment. Last year I was so depressed and stressed over it.

CrazyLazyGal
12-12-13, 05:27 PM
That's great! Please write a letter to the principal, the school superintendent, and board of education president telling them how much this teacher has helped. It can help her keep her job and get promotions.

messyme
12-12-13, 10:20 PM
What great news! I read an article a while ago that said that the two most effective treatments (not sure what kind of research this was based on) are medication and switching schools.

I think sometimes kids develop a bad "reputation" and people treat them differently. I was extremely shy when I was young and anytime I talked even in high school, people made a huge deal about it (having known me since Kindergarten). I changed schools in Grade 12 and this was an amazing experience for me.

In your case it might be partly that but as you said, more patient teacher, etc. also. Whatever the reason, it's wonderful!

Allegra113
12-13-13, 12:20 AM
As a teacher, I am sad to say that I have seen my share of adults who just do not like kids. I also see teachers who are overwhelmed and under-trained regarding students who have various disabilities. An understanding, flexible minded teacher is an amazing gift to any student who struggles. I agree with CrazyLazyGal...write letters to everyone. If your local news station does a teacher of the month or something, let them know.

On average, Special Education teachers burnout at 5-7 years, then leave the profession. It is about 5-10 for general education teachers. Let the teacher know you appreciate them. It might just keep them in the field longer and help other students.

Congratulations on the great year!

JenE
12-16-13, 04:46 PM
Great news! I whole-heartedly believe that the environment can make all the difference. My son's 1st, 3rd and 4th grade years were the best of all and I chalk it up to awesome teachers. Prayers for continued success!

Vikram_Kyle
12-17-13, 12:44 AM
Hello,

This's great, I like this article and write a letter to board of education president.