View Full Version : Teachers Won't Let Sophomore Work Off-line

Lunacie
12-13-13, 05:41 PM
My granddaughter is so frustrated with her teachers (one in particular) that
she is ready to scream. Despite reminders that she doesn't have internet
access on the weekends with her dad they refuse to let her do homework that
doesn't involve internet access, particularly power-point presentations.

This will be the fifth weekend in a row she's had to stay home instead of
spending time with her dad - which was the whole reason he quit his job as
an over-the-road trucker, so he could spend more time with the girls.

Does everyone have access to the internet these days? Seriously? They can't
make any accommodation for a kiddo who doesn't have it?

She has wanted to switch to online school for over a year now, and she and
her mom went and talked to the principal and counselor at her school, and the
ones at the online academy as well. At this point we're waiting for word as to
whether she can switch at semester break.

With the online school, she'll be able to work as many hours a day as needed
so her weekends can be free, or she can download and do work on her laptop
and then upload it when she gets home. Keeping my fingers crossed for this.

Ms. Mango
12-13-13, 05:59 PM
Hmmm...yeah, it's getting to the point where schools are assuming everyone has internet access. They're also starting to assume every family can supply every child with an iPad (like next year for us--maybe).

Is there a public library near your ex-SIL? Ours has internet and printers-- although it might be cheaper to put the info on a thumb drive and print at home. I'm assuming that even on his weekends there is some time needed for homework.

Rather than stay home for the whole weekend can she leave a little later or return home a bit sooner?

Abi
12-13-13, 06:06 PM
I'm confused.

Why does she need Internet Access to make Powerpoint Presentations?

Lunacie
12-13-13, 06:12 PM
Hmmm...yeah, it's getting to the point where schools are assuming everyone has internet access. They're also starting to assume every family can supply every child with an iPad (like next year for us--maybe).

Is there a public library near your ex-SIL? Ours has internet and printers-- although it might be cheaper to put the info on a thumb drive and print at home. I'm assuming that even on his weekends there is some time needed for homework.

Rather than stay home for the whole weekend can she leave a little later or return home a bit sooner?

He moved to the country just about the time school started in the fall. It's
10 miles to the nearest library, which would just mean leaving her there
while she works instead of being able to do things with dad and little sister.

He now lives just a few miles from his job, but 25 miles from our house. He
can't afford to make another round trip each weekend, and we can't either.

Power point presentations are done on the computer, online. No printing
involved. We do have printers at our house, as well as internet access.

She and her mother have racked their brains to figure how to work this out
so she can spend time with dad and still do homework. So frustrating.

Ms. Mango
12-13-13, 06:42 PM
To Abi's point--does she need the access to do research for a presentation or to collaborate with others as part of a group project? Powerpoint is part of Office--something that would be resident on your computer or laptop.

Now, if ex-SIL doesn't have computer access, then, well, yeah...

Lunacie
12-13-13, 07:15 PM
Abi, we didn't have computers when I went to school - we didn't have internet
access when my daughter went to school. I don't know how power point works
or why exactly she needs the internet to do her homework. But if she says she
does even though it means it's been more than a month since she got to spend
the weekend with dad (and have him cook breakfast), I believe her.

Stevuke79
12-13-13, 11:51 PM
That is so wrong. So bad. I don't have words. Keeping her from seeing a parent. It's unbelievable how important someone can believe they are.:grouphug:

zette93
12-14-13, 12:19 AM
What would happen if she finished the assignment Monday night, and turned it in Tuesday, and you sent an email to the teacher documenting the lack of Internet access during the weekend? I would get the principal involved. Also say you can't violate the custody agreement (if there is one) by keeping her home to do homework.

Lunacie
12-14-13, 01:35 AM
What would happen if she finished the assignment Monday night, and turned it in Tuesday, and you sent an email to the teacher documenting the lack of Internet access during the weekend? I would get the principal involved. Also say you can't violate the custody agreement (if there is one) by keeping her home to do homework.

I like the way you think. I'll certainly bring this up with my daughter and my granddaughter.

sarahsweets
12-14-13, 05:21 AM
This is a pet peeve for me. There was a period of time about 3 years ago where my husband was laid off from his job as an electrician for a year. We had to make some sacrifices and when you must pick between food and electricity or internet and cable, well there really is no choice is there? We had to fight the school and get upper administration involved. The solution was that they let my son use his study hall to go to the computer lab to work on his stuff and had to give him extra time because each class was only 50 min. This irritated the teachers but its what had to be done. Eventually we got everything straightened out.

kilted_scotsman
12-14-13, 11:25 AM
Setting homework that involves access to a resource that not all pupils have access to is discrimination.

There are three aspects to this
1) Access to a computer
2) Access to the internet
3) Access to relevant software

The pupil needs the first two and sometimes if the school are particularly dumb they might require (3)....

In the case of a pupil who moves between two parental homes regularly... they don't just need access to a machine, they need their own laptop....such things don't come cheap.

Discrimination against pupils from impoverished backgrounds seems endemic in the US, it's not so bad here.... a school would not be permitted to set homework which could ONLY be done using an internet connected machine. Ok so most pupils here now have access to a computer of some sort..... but it's not assumed.

Powerpoint is an offline tool... if the school is mandating Powerpoint then kick up a stink, there are free opensource options.... OpenOffice/OfficeLibre.

Find out EXACTLY what is going on.... school kids are not above manipulating the information they give to suit their own ends.... eg going to Dad's means missing out on peer gatherings, so "homework" is used as a parentally powerful keyword to stay with the mum.

If the URL's used in the homework are known the information can be downloaded onto a thumbdrive...

Approach the school in a conciliatory way.... ask the teacher hew to do the homework without internet access.... if the teacher cannot answer this question and continues to set homework that can only be done with real time internet connection raise the matter further up the school hierarchy, softly mentioning the discrimination angle.....

However..... you need to tread carefully.... As an ex techie I find it VERY unlikely that a realtime internet connection would be needed..... the pupil, the teacher, parents and the school are probably technically unaware of viable alternatives to requiring an live internet connection.

kilted

Lunacie
12-14-13, 12:22 PM
Thanks everyone.

Like many kids with ADHD, my granddaughter has good grades one term and
then her grades go down the next term, alternating between classes so that
overall her grade average is "okay" and the teachers think she's doing fine.
They don't see how hard she works and the toll it takes on her.

Yes, she can exaggerate, especially when she's emotionally upset, after all she
does have ADHD. But peer gatherings? Her social life is spending time with a
friend helping each other with homework - and playing around like any kids.
But she doesn't hang out with kids or go to the mall or date.

No laptop, no thumb drive, we live pretty much paycheck-to-paycheck. Her
mom is doing her best to come up with a used laptop by January so that she
can do the online school if that's approved. Which leaves me to come up with
the money to pay house taxes and insurance on my small income.

Her dad spends over a thousand dollars a month for Parkinson's meds, but
he was willing to pay for internet that he doesn't use so his daughter could do
homework at his house, but in rural Kansas there are still many areas where
internet and cable tv are not available.

If the switch to online school isn't approved, then having a word with the
teachers and the principal about income discrimination might be necessary.

Kat should have gotten an IEP or 504 years ago, but mommy has had her
hands full with little sister's IEP and school problems. And both Kat and mom
thought an IEP might make her an even bigger target for discrimination and
bullying.

Lunacie
12-14-13, 12:29 PM
PS -
I understand the "walking softly" with the schools. But we did that too long
with little sister (autistic). I feel guilty for the nightmare she lived in 4th
grade, and how difficult it was for her to overcome when we finally made
enough noise to get her school changed in 5th grade.

kilted_scotsman
12-14-13, 05:51 PM
If you just need a machine for basic Office style stuff and internet access then you should be able to pick one up real cheap.... over here companies are binning perfectly good machines... liquidation auction sites are good.

Over here we have "LUGS" Linux User Groups.... bunches of tech guys who are into open source/free software.. they often do stuff for "deserving causes". They're often a bit geeky (Mild Autism?!?) which can be offputting to NT's.... but if you're ADD aware you'll understand where they're coming from! Over here they are geographically organised.... nominally based in a town.... but that doesn't mean they actually reside there... such is the way of the internetiweb.

Getting a free techie onside might get your best way to get this sorted, both with the school and also to acquire free/low cost kit and technical support. It would be good if the pupil learnt to support themselves technically... it's not that difficult.... jut takes confidence and a mentor.

kilted

Lunacie
12-14-13, 08:34 PM
If you just need a machine for basic Office style stuff and internet access then you should be able to pick one up real cheap.... over here companies are binning perfectly good machines... liquidation auction sites are good.

Over here we have "LUGS" Linux User Groups.... bunches of tech guys who are into open source/free software.. they often do stuff for "deserving causes". They're often a bit geeky (Mild Autism?!?) which can be offputting to NT's.... but if you're ADD aware you'll understand where they're coming from! Over here they are geographically organised.... nominally based in a town.... but that doesn't mean they actually reside there... such is the way of the internetiweb.

Getting a free techie onside might get your best way to get this sorted, both with the school and also to acquire free/low cost kit and technical support. It would be good if the pupil learnt to support themselves technically... it's not that difficult.... jut takes confidence and a mentor.

My daughter works in a pawn shop and often has first dibs when a pawned
machine goes out for sale. But sometimes she has to wait awhile for one that's
affordable. Kat had one and it died - so do we spend a minimum of $100 to fix
it - maybe - or wait for one to go on sale? And yeah, we do have shops in the
city nearby that sell refurbished laptops. That's the fallback plan.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the change of schools comes through,
because it doesn't look like dad will have internet access at his house anytime
soon.

Allegra113
12-14-13, 09:22 PM
I ask students at the beginning of they year who has computer/internet access at home. If someone doesn't our local cable company has internet services for about 5-10/month and a laptop to use with it. Look into what programs might be available in your area.

Lunacie
12-14-13, 09:31 PM
I ask students at the beginning of they year who has computer/internet access at home. If someone doesn't our local cable company has internet services for about 5-10/month and a laptop to use with it. Look into what programs might be available in your area.

We have computers and internet access at our house. My daughter and I are
both divorced and I'm helping to co-parent my grandkids (both special needs).

Their dad moved to a farmhouse several months ago out in the country where
he can't get internet access for any price. He's a great dad and the girls have
been spending every weekend with him at his house. But it's been a month
since the oldest could go because of the lack of internet and her homework.

Ms. Mango
12-15-13, 12:06 AM
Moderator Note:

There have been several references to yesterday's school shooting in Colorado. Posts have been edited, posts have been removed.

Advocating or condoning violence towards a teacher is not the answer to the problem posed by the member in her OP. Violence isn't the antidote to frustration.

Keep the thread on topic going forward.

sarahsweets
12-15-13, 07:33 AM
Another thing that annoys me about this is the assumption that everyone has internet access, a computer of their own and the financial means to afford those things. When you add up the cost of internet access, ink, paper, printer and laptop, if you are talking about a family with a fixed income, that becomes an expense that is more on the luxury side of things not the necessity line of things. Like I said, during our financial crisis's that we had from 2008-2010, the internet was NOT a priority and anyone on a fixed/limited income will understand this.

Lunacie
12-15-13, 10:53 AM
Another thing that annoys me about this is the assumption that everyone has internet access, a computer of their own and the financial means to afford those things. When you add up the cost of internet access, ink, paper, printer and laptop, if you are talking about a family with a fixed income, that becomes an expense that is more on the luxury side of things not the necessity line of things. Like I said, during our financial crisis's that we had from 2008-2010, the internet was NOT a priority and anyone on a fixed/limited income will understand this.

What my granddaughter found even more annoying was that after telling this
particular teacher several times that she doesn't have internet to homework
during the weekend, the teacher keeps giving her homework for the weekend
that requires internet access. When reminded yet again, she refuses to allow
Kat to work on something different that doesn't require internet access.

That goes beyond blanket assumption to blatant disregard.

Lunacie
12-17-13, 11:20 PM
Update: We got word today that Kat will be able to make the switch to online school at the first of the year. :yes:

Tulip7171
12-17-13, 11:39 PM
Great news!

When I first heard about online schooling, I thought it was such great thing. My mother didn't understand how homeschooling worked when I was in school (undiagnosed ADHD in both my parents then) & so I struggled through middle & high school, finally dropping out 2 weeks before the end of junior year.

I wish online schooling had been available for me. I think it's such wonderful thing for kids that struggle with traditional schooling.

Lunacie
12-18-13, 12:10 AM
Great news!

When I first heard about online schooling, I thought it was such great thing. My mother didn't understand how homeschooling worked when I was in school (undiagnosed ADHD in both my parents then) & so I struggled through middle & high school, finally dropping out 2 weeks before the end of junior year.

I wish online schooling had been available for me. I think it's such wonderful thing for kids that struggle with traditional schooling.

And even better is that the school itself is located just a couple of miles from
our house although the lessons are available state-wide. Local kids can attend
the school three days a week and get help from the teachers if they're not
getting it from the online lessons.

And she can still take choir and bowling at her old school. The logistics of
getting her there by car instead of school bus is going to take some getting
used to, but worth it if this works as well as we think it will.

Stevuke79
12-18-13, 12:58 AM
Update: We got word today that Kat will be able to make the switch to online school at the first of the year. :yes:

Awesome! :) :)

CrazyLazyGal
12-27-13, 06:12 PM
A few weeks ago, the internet connection at my home went dead for four days straight before they came out to fix it.

I find it appalling that the teacher requires internet access for homework done over the weekend. As someone who has taught college students, I've learned to never assume such things. Fortunately, the college has many computer labs opened nights and weekends, so it wasn't an issue.

Lunacie
12-27-13, 06:29 PM
We're definitely going to have to work out some ground rules for her to attend
the online school - like getting up at a regular time each morning, and not
helping herself to food in the fridge all day long so that mom and I find stuff
we were planning to use for lunch or dinner has been eaten.

Arei
02-13-14, 06:27 AM
I more often than not spent my weekends (and holidays and summers) at my grandparents, who live out in the country and still to this day the only thing that you can get out there is dial-up or satellite (or use an aircard from a cellular company, which I was doing for awhile). While I was in school, there was either no internet or dial-up.

If her dad has any computer at all, and now flash drives are super cheap, you can pick up a small one for $5 that will do the job, at the very least she could spend a little time on Thursday gathering up what info she may need for the project (if she knows anything before Friday), then she can maybe carve out an hour or 2 at her dads and work offline (you do NOT need internet to make a power point presentation!! Maybe just to get the information/research you need to put into it) and get what she can done. If she's missing anything, she can plug in the remaining holes with more research Sunday night. That's what I had to do usually, lol.

Well, my example is probably a poor one because my grandmother had unfiltered internet access at her work, so if there was something I absolutely had to have broadband access to do, I could just go up there and do it. I cleaned the entire office on the weekends too, so I was up there anyway.

Though if all she needs the internet for is to look up some stuff for research purposes, her dad might could get dial-up? I mean you can't do anything fancy with that, but if she is just looking up text information, emailing, and maybe IMing friends who are also working on the assignment (good ol AIM, not Skype P:), dial up would be fine. And it's dirt cheap. There's some places that offer it for $8 a month, and at the very least its under $15. Though if she can get away with doing all information searching on Thursday or Sunday nights, she could get away with making the basic project in powerpoint offline.

I very very rarely had to do those kind of projects on the weekend. Usually did most of the research projects that needed the internet at school during class. I only had one class that required doing a lot of extra work like watching videos online and writing an essay on them, otherwise those type of assignments were few and far between. By the end of middle school our essays were pretty much required to be typed so yeah I would do that at home, but it didn't require internet. If I had to go to the library or something I would get my mom to take me because I was lucky enough to live places where the library stayed open late. I knew I wasn't getting crap done on the weekend P:

Summer projects were interesting though, at least it was mostly reading PHYSICAL books I could pick up at the library. Now I bet kids have to do a ton of internet based things even outside of school. It's probably still slightly too soon for that to be required. Until DSL is like the price of dial-up, its still going to be expensive for some people.

OH I DIDN'T SEE HOW OLD THIS WAS!!! XDD Wow I need to go to bed!!

Does she like the online school?? How is that working out?

Lunacie
02-13-14, 11:06 AM
Yes, she seems to like the online school and her grades are reflecting that. :D

She's struggling with geometry, but is finally able to get help from the teacher online.

None of the teachers at the brick-and-mortar school here in town were willing to help her

outside of class. :(

Believe me, her dad has looked into every possibility for getting internet out at the farm.

It's not the cost, it just isn't available in the more rural areas of the state.

The work must be done online, she really can't work offline.

She got her work done and was able to go to dad's house last weekend. :yes: