View Full Version : The Boy Whose Brain Could Unlock Autism

fracturedstory
12-13-13, 11:26 PM
A very in depth article on Intense World syndrome. It's all the rage in autism circles.

Thought you'd like to read it.

https://medium.com/p/70c3d64ff221/

Lunacie
12-14-13, 12:35 AM
Fortune, thank you so very much for linking to that article. Aspects of the
Intense World Theory explain a lot about Autism ... and about ADHD I think.

For example, this:

Steve Silberman, who is writing a history of autism titled NeuroTribes: Thinking Smarter About People Who Think Differently, says, “We had 70 years of autism research [based] on the notion that autistic people have brain deficits. Instead, the intense world postulates that autistic people feel too much and sense too much. That’s valuable, because I think the deficit model did tremendous injury to autistic people and their families, and also misled science.”

The very concept of ADHD has long been that it's a defecit, when really it
seems to be a matter of filtering information and sorting it as to importance.

Stevuke79
12-14-13, 12:40 AM
Thank you, I loved that. Such a great read and I am so glad you shared it. It's close to my heart and something on my mind a lot in trying to understand myself and people I care about. (I'm not autistic, but I'm discovering I have some traits.)

Also I can relate to how confusing the clichés can be. I've been told I'm a cold rationalist and also that I'm overly empathetic and emotional. I've also been told that I can see right through people and then someone else says that I don't listen and am blind to people's feelings.

Forget that it's hurtful; what's worse is that it's so confusing. Like I remember when I would have settled for being whatever people tell me I am - if I could only get a consistent answer.

TygerSan
12-14-13, 12:55 PM
What a great article. I do think that it's probably premature to say that all autism is caused by this hyperactivity in brain circuits.

I really think that when we start to be able to really look at what causes psychiatric syndromes like autism and ADHD, what well find is that there are multiple causes which result in differing symptom presentation.

So it may be that the intense world theory explains a subset of autistic (and possibly ADHD and related SPD) traits. But to say that one has found THE cause of autism is like saying we've found THE cause of snow falling from the sky. The truth of the matter is that there are probably lots of factors that come together to form the perfect storm, and depending on initial statement those factors are likely to be different for different people.

Personally, I find the research fascinating. I'm not exactly ADHD, and not exactly autistic, but I really relate to the idea that I feel others emotions very strongly, and never know how to react appropriately. It's been called anxiety, and has definitely manifested as such, but is so situational that I don't necessarily perceive it as such.