View Full Version : New on Vyvanse with diff symptoms then others, seeking experienced users for advice p

27Female
12-16-13, 04:34 AM
I'm a 27 y.o. mother and have recently been put on Vyvanse for m ADHD. But while reading others forums to relate I simply am having other symptoms and advantages which make me question why my outcome is different or possibly not right for me since I can't relate to what they are experiencing while on Vyvanse. For one my medication takes about 2 and half hours to kick in and about four hours to peak lasting no longer than 8 hours (others say 12) Also I am experiencing increased sexual desire and sensations of extreme pleasure of just the touch of my hair or skin, while my "bossoms" being erect for hours and an increased of "down there"while on Vyvanse. So I would really be reaching out to other women for advice for any one experiencing similair or advice. I do experience a follow through in daily tasks that are simple now compared to nearly impossible before taking vyvanse. I love that I can read for hours, calmer, daily task (laundry, cleaning,dishes) things that I had to force myself to do before and would take all day. I'm also concerned about the euphoria I get while at peak, I seem over whelmed with gratitude for my husband and life but realize this is an effect of my peak and ride it out because as soon as the ride is over I'm not so sappy, while other get aggregated I get more compassionate. I also take xanax for anxiety four times a day, but since being on Vyvanse for the last week I only need it before bed time and has decreased my anxiety. I'm more focused and almost more mature. I do notice it affects my communication as not explaining myself or just wanting to be in my own world which I had notice is one of similar trait and decreased appetite almost obsolete. Does ANYONE experience these also? If not why would it be affecting me differently? How do I know I'm on the right dosage? Any experienced womanly advice would be of such appreciation and help. Thank you.

Flia
12-17-13, 01:06 PM
How long Vyvanse takes to kick in, and how long it lasts is individual. It depends on sooo many factors, that you really can't compare with others (thought it's interesting to read about the so totally different experiences).

Also the side effects are individual, one may loose her libido totally while another has similar experience to yours.
One may get increased irritability and rage, and another getting totally calm.

You do seem to have the right dosage, as it helps the concentration deficit.
Although some have experienced less side effects with a lower dose (on the other hand som others..... you get what I mean).

In short: it's individual. :)

dvdnvwls
12-17-13, 03:34 PM
All of this sounds about right. It's likely that some of the "less convenient" side effects will soon go away. So... if you enjoy those effects at all, take your chance now before they fade - and if you don't enjoy them much, then just wait a week or two. :)

27Female
12-18-13, 09:55 AM
How long Vyvanse takes to kick in, and how long it lasts is individual. It depends on sooo many factors, that you really can't compare with others (thought it's interesting to read about the so totally different experiences).

Also the side effects are individual, one may loose her libido totally while another has similar experience to yours.
One may get increased irritability and rage, and another getting totally calm.

You do seem to have the right dosage, as it helps the concentration deficit.
Although some have experienced less side effects with a lower dose (on the other hand som others..... you get what I mean).

In short: it's individual. :)

Thank you, and yes it's very interesting to read the different responses bc they range all over. I wanted to see how a 70mg would feel and it had the same effect, didn't see any difference, this is why I don't know what dose is correct, but from I understand... is it true Vyvanse has a quick tolerance build up? If so I'd stay on the same mg until needing to increase. And I usually take it.at.7-8am wears of by 1 now (only been on for one week). I now have anxiety when coming off but have strong mind control, no figgiting, exact opposite froze at a stand still almost ( mood good) but not any irritability just unable to fall asleep, hence the 2 mg xanax n clonodine. Still able to get up at 7 next morning...almost like it's.still in my system. The biggest benefit so far has been being on a regular schedule (was a chronic day sleeper). And the price YIKES. Do you know of any other generic med similar working? I know a lot of questions...but that's why I'm hear and so far thank you for helping saying individual bc I have read nothing of anyone else effects as I've described.

27Female
12-18-13, 10:06 AM
All of this sounds about right. It's likely that some of the "less convenient" side effects will soon go away. So... if you enjoy those effects at all, take your chance now before they fade - and if you don't enjoy them much, then just wait a week or two. :)

Thank you, so these symptoms (enjoyable ones) tend to fade? I was liking these benefits since upon reading some serious effects are.scary (hardened arteries!) As above I had some more question as of why different dosage shows same effect (no stronger, no longer). Is there a generic similar. I'm guessing high metabolism is why it passes quicker? Or maybe it's after the peak? Two side effects I am concerned about is the strong dark yellow color my urine has, and feet and hands seem more abnormally colder (always been cold) but deff a difference here. Lost about 7 lbs as a bonus (hope that one doesn't fade lol), appreciate your advice and experience. After reading some people's scary post I thought I was a freak, and its run through my mind some taking may not truly have as severe ADHD as my doc said I was extremely on the higher end. Looking forward to you insight.

Lizzie80
12-18-13, 10:43 PM
I've been on Vyvanse a few months. I also periodically take Valium, so I understand what it's like to use/need both a stimulant and a benzo in one day. I take Valium only as needed, not daily. The first month I was on Vyvanse, it was very rare that I needed Valium at all. I wish I could cut the benzo out entirely (it makes abdominal weight stay on too much in my case), but then I'd be more loco than I am already. :) The "up" feeling of Vyvanse, any euphoria, definitely faded for me after a month or so. As did any anti-depressant or anti-anxiety effect. I hope that it may be different for you, but definitely don't put excessive faith in any effect continuing indefinitely of that positive realm. You'll still hopefully maintain the focusing and ease of housework effects. For me, the focus has died some, as has motivation Vyvanse initially provided. But the physical ease of doing things has stuck around. The sexuality returning or being heightened, I also experienced, though not quite to the same degree. Vyvanse is astimulant, so just from a blood flow and purely physical point of view, this side effect makes sense. For those of us who take a benzo, I think a stimulant can reverse the sort of deadening effect benzos can have on sexual feeling. I have no science to back me up there- just personal experience. I also found I could actually stick to a schedule and wake up sort of early (for me) on Vyvanse, thougg I will never have a military-style sense of discipline- sadly! This, too, has died down for me. I think this is just a natural issue with tolerance. Our bodies have a way of seeking out their own personal homeostasis, and that may be directed from the brain. My life in some ways is still better on Vyvanse than off, soI accept it. But when people talk about the "honeymoon period" we almost all have with our first doses of ADHD meds...they aren't kidding. That's usually all it is. And I've gone up in dosage a couple times- that honeymoon period doesn't usually ever happen again, even with a raise in dose. The only way to get that back at all is to take a significant break from ADHD meds, and then restart. Some people do this occasionally, some never do. I don't know that there's any other real benefit to breaks, and frankly, I'm always ready to end my little breaks after a day or two! I say all of this not to bum you out, just to share my Vyvanse saga.

It takes a MINIMUM of two hours to feel Vyvanse working, but I have a very slow metabolism, a very high tolerance to medication and I'm tall/big. Vyvanse 50mg lasts me mentally 6-8 hours at that dose IF I'm very lucky. Physically, though, I feel the effect MUCH longer, and not in a good way. If I want a ghost of a chance of falling asleep at midnight, my Vyvanse better be taken no later than 8 a.m. YMMV. I tend towards insomnia anyway. And if I took Vyvanse too late in the morning, a blow to the head would be needed to knock me out come bedtime. It's an unpopular ADHD med with a few people for this reason. It's therapeutic effects may die long before it's truly out of the body.

As to the cost...it sucks. If you qualify, Shire (the Rx company) does have a patient assistance program to cover some or all of the cost. There is no generic available for Vyvanse. Some people switch to cheaper ADHD drugs or never start Vyvanse for this reason. Unfortunately, not all doctors will prescribe Adderall XR or the like in Vyvanse's place. There have been shortages in some ADHD meds in the past that led to people changing to Vyvanse. But these shortages are...well, suspect in some ways. Rx patents and all kinds of issues there. If cost is a real issue, talk it over with your doc. Hope this helps. :)

27Female
12-19-13, 12:55 AM
[QUOTE=Lizzie80;1585160]I've been on Vyvanse a few months. I also periodically take Valium, so I understand what it's like to use/need both a stimulant and a benzo in one day. I take Valium only as needed, not daily. The first month I was on Vyvanse, it was very rare that I needed Valium at all. I wish I could cut the benzo out entirely (it makes abdominal weight stay on too much in my case), but then I'd be more loco than I am already. :) The "up" feeling of Vyvanse, any euphoria, definitely faded for me after a month or so. As did any anti-depressant or anti-anxiety effect. I hope that it may be different for you, but definitely don't put excessive faith in any effect continuing indefinitely of that positive realm. You'll still hopefully maintain the focusing and ease of housework effects. For me, the focus has died some, as has motivation Vyvanse initially provided. But the physical ease of doing things has stuck around. The sexuality returning or being heightened, I also experienced, though not quite to the same degree. Vyvanse is astimulant, so just from a blood flow and purely physical point of view, this side effect makes sense. For those of us who take a benzo, I think a stimulant can reverse the sort of deadening effect benzos can have on sexual feeling. I have no science to back me up there- just personal experience. I also found I could actually stick to a schedule and wake up sort of early (for me) on Vyvanse, thougg I will never have a military-style sense of discipline- sadly! This, too, has died down for me. I think this is just a natural issue with tolerance. Our bodies have a way of seeking out their own personal homeostasis, and that may be directed from the brain. My life in some ways is still better on Vyvanse than off, soI accept it. But when people talk about the "honeymoon period" we almost all have with our first doses of ADHD meds...they aren't kidding. That's usually all it is. And I've gone up in dosage a couple times- that honeymoon period doesn't usually ever happen again, even with a raise in dose. The only way to get that back at all is to take a significant break from ADHD meds, and then restart. Some people do this occasionally, some never do. I don't know that there's any other real benefit to breaks, and frankly, I'm always ready to end my little breaks after a day or two! I say all of this not to bum you out, just to share my Vyvanse saga.

It takes a MINIMUM of two hours to feel Vyvanse working, but I have a very slow metabolism, a very high tolerance to medication and I'm tall/big. Vyvanse 50mg lasts me mentally 6-8 hours at that dose IF I'm very lucky. Physically, though, I feel the effect MUCH longer, and not in a good way. If I want a ghost of a chance of falling asleep at midnight, my Vyvanse better be taken no later than 8 a.m. YMMV. I tend towards insomnia anyway. And if I took Vyvanse too late in the morning, a blow to the head would be needed to knock me out come bedtime. It's an unpopular ADHD med with a few people for this reason. It's therapeutic effects may die long before it's truly out of the body.
Lizzie, yes everything you described is exactly what happens to me and knowing someone else's experience is soo very similair. I have an appt. With my pdoc tom. And am going to let him know it cuts off around 1 to 2 om, the price, or switching to another. I'll let you know how it goes bc I understand for a lot of people they will just increase and I truly want a booster which some do or don't do. I'd prefer Addy bc I can control when I need it but again some docs not to like to do so. On another note when I take my benzo (makes me very relaxed kills the crash completely they are 2 mas as well and while feeling relaxed my sec drive is still very active). But besides that everything you described like 2 hours to kick in and not last as long is exactly what I experience and it's only been a week! Stinks to hear the "honeymoon" stages will fade but good to know and what to expect since your experiences with it sound the same I'm experiencing. Thanks for you personal advice and will let you know how pdoc visit goes tom. : )

sarahsweets
12-19-13, 05:27 AM
The thing with vyvanse is its mechanism of action. It needs to reach the gut in order for it to start doing its job. Sometimes food helps move things along towards digestion. Vyvanse rarely lasts the 12 hours its purported to.

Lizzie80
12-19-13, 08:53 PM
No problem at all. :) I'll be curious to hear how it goes for you. When I see my doc again, I want to ask for an IR booster myself OR ask if I could take two 20mg Vyvanse/day instead. (He may not want to give me IR, because he just doesn't like prescribing those for anyone.) One Vyvanse to take in the early a.m., one around noon-ish. More in mg is really not better w/ Vyvanse- the higher the dose, it just seems to last longer, NOT get stronger. That's purely my experience, though. My comedowns are wicked in the last month or so, even with Valium. That is probably just my life right now (stress), but still...

And even if Vyvanse lasted a perfect 12 hours, no comedown, just died...what person's need for ADHD help ends at 12 hours as an adult?! For a kid, fine. But an adult has a job and/or college full-time, sometimes a LONG commute, household chores, family demands, sometimes church duties...Most of us really need 14-18 hours a day of clear thinking.

Swan1969
10-23-16, 10:50 AM
:)Hi I'm new on here and was wondering if their is a alternative to Vyvanse? I am currently on it now but my coupon expires 5/17 of next year and I am kind of concerned because I know that I cannot afford it. Is Adderall my only alternative? Thanks.I've been on Vyvanse a few months. I also periodically take Valium, so I understand what it's like to use/need both a stimulant and a benzo in one day. I take Valium only as needed, not daily. The first month I was on Vyvanse, it was very rare that I needed Valium at all. I wish I could cut the benzo out entirely (it makes abdominal weight stay on too much in my case), but then I'd be more loco than I am already. :) The "up" feeling of Vyvanse, any euphoria, definitely faded for me after a month or so. As did any anti-depressant or anti-anxiety effect. I hope that it may be different for you, but definitely don't put excessive faith in any effect continuing indefinitely of that positive realm. You'll still hopefully maintain the focusing and ease of housework effects. For me, the focus has died some, as has motivation Vyvanse initially provided. But the physical ease of doing things has stuck around. The sexuality returning or being heightened, I also experienced, though not quite to the same degree. Vyvanse is astimulant, so just from a blood flow and purely physical point of view, this side effect makes sense. For those of us who take a benzo, I think a stimulant can reverse the sort of deadening effect benzos can have on sexual feeling. I have no science to back me up there- just personal experience. I also found I could actually stick to a schedule and wake up sort of early (for me) on Vyvanse, thougg I will never have a military-style sense of discipline- sadly! This, too, has died down for me. I think this is just a natural issue with tolerance. Our bodies have a way of seeking out their own personal homeostasis, and that may be directed from the brain. My life in some ways is still better on Vyvanse than off, soI accept it. But when people talk about the "honeymoon period" we almost all have with our first doses of ADHD meds...they aren't kidding. That's usually all it is. And I've gone up in dosage a couple times- that honeymoon period doesn't usually ever happen again, even with a raise in dose. The only way to get that back at all is to take a significant break from ADHD meds, and then restart. Some people do this occasionally, some never do. I don't know that there's any other real benefit to breaks, and frankly, I'm always ready to end my little breaks after a day or two! I say all of this not to bum you out, just to share my Vyvanse saga.

As to the cost...it sucks. If you qualify, Shire (the Rx company) does have a patient assistance program to cover some or all of the cost. There is no generic available for Vyvanse. Some people switch to cheaper ADHD drugs or never start Vyvanse for this reason. Unfortunately, not all doctors will prescribe Adderall XR or the like in Vyvanse's place. There have been shortages in some ADHD meds in the past that led to people changing to Vyvanse. But these shortages are...well, suspect in some ways. Rx patents and all kinds of issues there. If cost is a real issue, talk it over with your doc. Hope this helps. :)

Greyhound1
10-23-16, 11:31 AM
:)Hi I'm new on here and was wondering if their is a alternative to Vyvanse? I am currently on it now but my coupon expires 5/17 of next year and I am kind of concerned because I know that I cannot afford it. Is Adderall my only alternative? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, there won't be a generic for Vyvanse until 2023. You may want to consider Adderall, Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine) or Concerta.

Best wishes

MissAnnThrope
11-12-16, 06:04 PM
Vyvanse was the 1st med my doctor prescribed (diagnosed 10 months ago); I recently switched to Adderal.

For the ADD symptoms, it worked well enough. Did what it is supposed to do, good focus, etc. But for me, it was an extremely inconcistent medication - zero side effects one day, and 12 the next. ? :confused:

What I couldn't deal with was the "crash" after about 6 hours, which continued even after my doctor raised the dosage. I would get horribly depressed and anhedonic.

I also experienced a weird rebound effect in the evenings. I would feel totally crashed and depleted, like the med had completely worn off, but would get a racing heartbeat and be unable to sleep.

I saw some posts that advised drinking orange juice or taking vitamin C in the evenings as a way to help flush the residual medication out of your system, so I started drinking a large Vitamin Water in the afternoons and taking vitamin C w/ dinner. It seemed to help a little, but my stomach does not tolerate citrus in any form, and I had to stop drinking the Vitamin water. The vitamin C pill alone did not seem to help as much, but I am guessing that is because it takes long to digest, etc.

I also tried "water titration" (google it), which is something that is recommended for children who take this medication. This helped it take effect more quickly, but seemed to reduce the overall effectiveness a bit.

I feel I exhausted my options with that particular med, but maybe one of these will help you. Good luck.