View Full Version : What are these drugs like for ADHD?

andy1027
12-16-13, 09:35 PM
Hi. Can we have some people sharing there experiences on these drugs? Please state which drugs you are taking and which other medications you are also taking.

I am very curious as to how this medications are helping people with their concentration difficulties within ADHD. Thank you!

mirandatoritess
12-16-13, 10:03 PM
look at my signature. Anyway, mine are to target hyperactivity. Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont.

andy1027
12-17-13, 10:52 AM
look at my signature. Anyway, mine are to target hyperactivity. Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont.

You don't appear to be taking either Imipramine or desipramine.

mirandatoritess
12-17-13, 12:19 PM
oh never mind, sorry I thought that you were talking about all of ADD meds

dragokatzov
01-10-14, 11:57 PM
I take it as an anti-depressant. It works wonders with depression for me, but in my own experience, it is useless as an ADHD drug

Ms. Mango
01-25-14, 10:27 AM
My son took imipramine for a few months. It was slightly effective for a while, then lost it's effectiveness. He wasn't taking it with any other medications.

Imipramine is also prescribed to kids for bed wetting. My son didn't have that problem, so the imipramine suppressed his need to urinate when he woke up in the am. We needed to remind him to go. That was the only side effect of the med for him, so pretty minor.

think.pink
05-11-14, 08:55 PM
I am taking desipramine. I also take adderall. The adderall was prescribed by my regular doctor while the desipramine was prescribed by my neurologist for back and hand pain issues that I have as a result of an auto accident. I have made him aware of my add and adderall intake, and he said desipramine works complimentary to adderall, also helping add. It inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine and to a much lesser extent, serotonin. Somehow by inhibiting the reuptake of norepinephrine it works on the spinal cord to block pain signals from coming to the brain. My guess is that when you have more norepinephrine in your system, you are more alert and feel less pain as the result of a mild 'fight or flight' reaction from the increased norepinephrine.

Anyway, I will say that it's helped my add. I feel that my thoughts are clearer and I do feel more mentally 'alert'. It has helped the pain issue too, I know you didn't ask about that.. Overall, it has helped me quite a bit, and I do have a better feeling of well being too. It works for me, but I am considering asking for an increase as it doesn't feel like it's quite enough or me.

It's also better to be taken at night, or supposed to be, but I feel more good effects if I take it during the day.

Glorfindel
02-02-16, 08:38 PM
Imipramine made me euphoric. Not after a few weeks, just a few minutesright after taking it for an hour or two.
Nothing for my ADD though. It did work as an antidepressant but not in a really profound way.

Sunflower009
08-29-17, 06:35 AM
My Psychaiatrist prescribed me Impimprime as the first thing to try out in treating ADHD. He said that it often makes people tired (and to take it at night if it does) but for me it seems to have no side effects. It works on Seratonin (helpful for depression) and Neuropinephrine (helpful for the de-motivated, procrastinating side of ADHD). I have been taking the lowest dose, 10 mg for about 1 week and basically it has been fine, it is definately helping me in the motivational department! It doesn't have any real effect on attention, concentration, hyperactivity or impulsivity though.

My Psychaiatrist expected that though, and so we are probably going to add a methalphenadate to it, and then see how that goes.