View Full Version : Could really use some advice

kayfishandchips
12-18-13, 01:29 AM
I know im new here, but i just found this and i really just need to unload you know, anyway
I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was about 7, im not actually sure why I was tested then but i was and they put me on adderall, at some point my mother took me off the medication because she was concerned with the side effects. I am a fairly intelligent student, and i could still do wll in classes with minimal effert so I managed to get though most of my schooling with A's and B's without any sort of treatment. When I hit high school though everything fell apart, not only was more independent study needed but it seemed like my already limited ability to focus was withering away. I started barely keeping a float in some classes. I am a senior now, and last year I tried to convince my mother to get me tested again so I could get some sort of treatment. She denied I had ever had Adhd and said "do you want to be one of those loonies?" Telling me I shouldn't use it as an excuse for me doing poor in school and I was just lazy. It hurt me a lot, I try really hard to keep things together and stay on task, but it just doesn't work, I mean I think if anyone knew whats going on in my head it would be me, and its not like i'm pulling this out of know where.
My plan right know is just to wait till college and go for treatment then, but if anyone has any better advice feel free to share. Again sorry for dumping this all out, just had to get it off my mind.

Nicksgonefishin
12-18-13, 03:34 AM
Don't wait.

dvdnvwls
12-18-13, 03:48 AM
Waiting till college means the first half of college is a mess. (I don't mean the first semester, I really mean "the first half of college", a couple of years.) Go now. Your mother is wrong. Don't argue with her - it's impossible to convince her - just go "over her head" or "around her" or whatever it takes to get things started right now.

Thales
12-23-13, 06:02 PM
No, don't use ADHD as an excuse, use it as an explanation and go look for help quickly. It will make you feel so much better about yourself. Also explore these forums. You are not alone.

Pingu*
12-23-13, 06:59 PM
Waiting till college means the first half of college is a mess. (I don't mean the first semester, I really mean "the first half of college", a couple of years.)
Yes, because treatment is not only the medication part. You most likely have to learn how to build routines and other things you have probably missed out on. There is a reason why many who haven't been diagnosed earlier get diagnosed when they move out and go to university - there is a lot to handle when you live by yourself and have no one to keep you on track.

Getting a working medication and working with routines before you dive into the university project will give you a much more solid ground and chance of success. It is possible to manage without treatment. However, as dvdnvwls said, it will most likely be a mess in some way (be it academically, socially, psychogically).

I didn't know I had problems until university (well - problems I knew, but serious problems), and I wish I had known earlier so I would have had the opportunity to get treatment and not hit a rock wall in second year. I don't have any medication but am working with an occupational therapist with scheduling, time management and routines. I am certain it would have been a lot easier to fix that before university rather than now. I could really use a semester off, just to do that.

kayfishandchips
12-29-13, 03:54 AM
Thanks for all the advice, unfortunately nothing has really changed in my situation, I opened up to my older sister about my concerns, and she has agreed to help me start organizing my life in preparation for college. So that's a thing.

dvdnvwls
12-29-13, 06:47 AM
Thanks for all the advice, unfortunately nothing has really changed in my situation, I opened up to my older sister about my concerns, and she has agreed to help me start organizing my life in preparation for college. So that's a thing.
Pfft. No it's not. Well, OK, but hardly.

Nothing is going to change in your situation till you change it. You have to get to the appropriate doctor, by yourself or with your sister's help, now. Waiting is not a good option in any way.

someothertime
12-29-13, 07:40 AM
Got anyone who can help you with this... Like a reliable and open friend or mentor?

sarahsweets
12-29-13, 08:09 AM
go above her head to a schoo cousnler/social worker. She is DENYING you treatment that once worked for you on her own baseless uninformed claims.

kayfishandchips
01-01-14, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys for all the push to go on, I just went in and was diagnosed with adhd inattentive and a social anxiety disorder. Which was not very surprising. I'm not on any medication yet, because of the supposed side effects from the stuff I was one before they are trying to find the file to avoid giving it to me if it would be harmful. I am just glad that I can start making real progress towards a better life now :)

ginniebean
01-01-14, 01:12 PM
Good for you!

Nicksgonefishin
01-01-14, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the update! Proud of you. That was a big hard step.

Lunacie
01-01-14, 03:18 PM
I know im new here, but i just found this and i really just need to unload you know, anyway

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was about 7, im not actually sure why I was tested then but i was and they put me on adderall, at some point my mother took me off the medication because she was concerned with the side effects.

I am a fairly intelligent student, and i could still do wll in classes with minimal effert so I managed to get though most of my schooling with A's and B's without any sort of treatment.

When I hit high school though everything fell apart, not only was more independent study needed but it seemed like my already limited ability to focus was withering away. I started barely keeping a float in some classes. I am a senior now, and last year I tried to convince my mother to get me tested again so I could get some sort of treatment.

She denied I had ever had Adhd and said "do you want to be one of those loonies?" Telling me I shouldn't use it as an excuse for me doing poor in school and I was just lazy. It hurt me a lot, I try really hard to keep things together and stay on task, but it just doesn't work, I mean I think if anyone knew whats going on in my head it would be me, and its not like i'm pulling this out of know where.

My plan right know is just to wait till college and go for treatment then, but if anyone has any better advice feel free to share. Again sorry for dumping this all out, just had to get it off my mind.

Many of us can't read blocks of text. Please add blank lines between paragraphs.

If you are 16 you don't have to have parental permission to be seen by a doctor.

But you could try to educate your mother. Ask her to watch any of the youtube
videos by Dr. Russell Barkley or Dr. Charles Parker. Check out the book "Driven
to Distraction" by Dr. Edward Hallowell and Dr. John Ratey from the library and
ask her to read some of it. Another good book is "You Mean I'm Not Lazy,
Stupid or Crazy?" by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo.

kayfishandchips
01-01-14, 08:43 PM
I'm really sorry about that, I didn't mean to make anyone uncomfortable. I will make sure to break up all future posts.