View Full Version : I think I have depression along with my ADD. But I am not always sad

andy1027
12-18-13, 12:02 PM
I think I could have depression with my ADHD as some things would make me feel very low and hopeless, but other times I am fine apart from the fact that I am unmotivated and lethargic, lack of energy etc.. Is it possible to be depressed without having persistant sadness?

dvdnvwls
12-18-13, 01:26 PM
Absolutely, yes. Depression does not mean "always sad", it means something closer to "never happy".

Nicksgonefishin
12-18-13, 01:36 PM
Some Ssri's help with adhd. This might be an option for you to look into if you can't handle stims.

Dizfriz
12-18-13, 03:32 PM
I think I could have depression with my ADHD as some things would make me feel very low and hopeless, but other times I am fine apart from the fact that I am unmotivated and lethargic, lack of energy etc.. Is it possible to be depressed without having persistant sadness?I won't do diagnosis on the internet but just speaking in general, often depression does not manifest itself in sadness but in a loss of pleasure in doing. As it is sometimes described, all in in gray, the colors disappear.

When I get a bout of depression, I mostly just grind to a halt. The word you use, "lethargic" is a good one.

Depression can manifest itself in a number of ways. If it is a concern, I suggest you get an evaluation. No need to suffer if help is available.

Dizfriz

andy1027
12-18-13, 10:23 PM
Some Ssri's help with adhd. This might be an option for you to look into if you can't handle stims.

I used to take 60mg strattera. But recently the stuff makes me more irritable and angry and grumpy. So I dropped to 40. Still wasn't good enough. Then dropped to 25mg. Now I cannot concentrate/be motivated/have energy.

Can't win!!

Only thing it is doing for me at the moment is masking my emotional anxiety problem I have.

andy1027
12-18-13, 10:29 PM
I won't do diagnosis on the internet but just speaking in general, often depression does not manifest itself in sadness but in a loss of pleasure in doing. As it is sometimes described, all in in gray, the colors disappear.

When I get a bout of depression, I mostly just grind to a halt. The word you use, "lethargic" is a good one.

Depression can manifest itself in a number of ways. If it is a concern, I suggest you get an evaluation. No need to suffer if help is available.

Dizfriz

I agree. I'm going privately to a Psychiatrist in The new year to try and work out what my co-morbidity to ADHD is. Some emotional anxiety triggers seem to set off sadness for me. The rest of the time in the past few months I have lost a lot of interest in going out and seeing friends. I can't motivate myself to do any university work though.

I have a friend whom i am certain is ADHD like me and we have a good laugh. The bouts of sadness seem to be triggered and when they are they increase the rest of my depressive symptoms. I often wondered if this depression was caused by the strattera. But now that I am in such a low dose, i don't think it is the strattera now. But my strattera really covers up the physical feelings of my anxiety, so I only really feel them now when something sets an episode off.

Daydreamin22
12-19-13, 04:47 AM
Maybe it’s situational depression. It might be bipolar II which often gets misdiagnosed as depression. It’s not as bad as bipolar I. I had it my whole life and never knew it. It comes with bouts of hypomania..not debilitating.

This post may help about depression. Hope it does.

A bunch of guests were looking at the thread so I said hi to them if you’re wondering…:o:)
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152916

sarahsweets
12-19-13, 06:10 AM
Depression symptoms are much more than saddness. They can include: Lack of interest in daily life, fatigue,distraction, sleep issues, motivation issues, sometimes mental fogginess etc.

Diony
12-19-13, 10:35 PM
Im diagnosed with reoccurrent depression moderate and possible adhd without the h, will figure that out next year but i feel like the depression is always there, you just dont always cry, im numb most if the time.