View Full Version : Can we be nocturnal?

Pamplemousse
12-18-13, 11:27 PM
I feel as though I am entirely nocturnal. I completely lack any and all motivation during the daylight hours, and quite frankly could sleep through the whole day. I get my first start of productiveness at about 10-11pm and then can easily stay awake until 4-5am. I feel like my body is naturally trying to put me on this schedule.

Weirdly enough when I came back from Australia a few years ago, I was more well rested than ever because I would go to bed at 8am and wake up around 6pm. Honestly I think that was the best sleep schedule I've ever had and I wish I could go back to that.

dvdnvwls
12-19-13, 01:01 AM
Two solutions:

1. Change your life to fit your sleep; get a new job, etc etc.

2. Change your sleep to fit your life; wake up fanatically at the same early time every morning, solve other problems as they come up.

ana futura
12-19-13, 05:48 AM
I am the exact same way. I'm in grad school right now, and I used to try very hard to stay on a normal schedule, but I would never get anything done until I just gave in and worked through the night. I've gotten so desperate this semester that I just stopped trying to fight it, and purposely stayed up later every night and got up later every day, until I was waking up at 4 or 5 pm, and going to bed at 8 or 9 am.

The sad thing is, it totally works. I hate this schedule, but I don't know what else to do. I'm actually a productive human being when I work on things through the night. But inevitably I wind up sleep deprived this way, because there are still things I need to do during the day. Granted I try to never schedule anything before 2, but I still wind up really missing the sun and being outside.

Mild sleep deprivation seems to help my ADHD a bit though. It slows me down a bit and I don't seem to get distracted as easily, maybe the overactive parts of my brain go into hibernation. I'm definitely not as sharp when I'm sleep deprived, and things take me more time than they should, but it always seems much easier to stay focused on the task in front of me and I think I'm a bit nicer too.

When I'm not in school and freaking out over late papers, my natural sleep schedule is 3am to 11am. That feels perfect to me. I wake up refreshed and ready to go.

Trying to shift to a morning schedule never works. I kept trying to take morning jobs (starting at 7 or 8) when I was younger, but I just felt like crap the entire time. I could never make the adjustment. I can handle 10 am okay, but any earlier kills me.

I've been like this since I was a baby, I would refuse to wake up in the mornings throughout all of elementary school.

I'm actually panicking a bit right now because the classes I want to take next semester are at 9. The last time I had a 9 o clock class I would be a 30 - 40 mintes late on a regular basis.

Thales
01-25-14, 09:57 AM
I can totally relate! When I don't have classes my schedule slips to all too easy to 2pm-5am. It would be worse if I let it. I have had very few 9am classes the past year. Most were 11am or 2pm classes. Especially the latter don't encourage a normal schedule. A couple of years ago I managed a 7am-3am for months. My sleeping patterns are quite disturbed anyway. I don't get jet lags (which is a good thing).

I am not sure if we could be nocturnal (while still functioning in the society we live in), but it would definitely suit me better. When I have class, I try to sleep at a human time. What works for me is to read until my eyes get tired. Usually I am calm enough and tired enough to sleep when my eyes get tired. Yes, that may occassionally take a couple of hours.

I am currently trying to figure out my pain meds and the first week (on a dosage too high for long term use) I could SLEEP during the night. I could WORK during the day. Seriously, my schedule was suddenly 12am-9am, for the whole week. I never felt so normal in my entire life! And now on other meds my schedule is a mess again. I feel awful. Now I know it is possible to sleep like a normal person it hits me only harder that I cannot. I would rather die a couple of decades earlier if that could give me some more quality of life. Some side effects (the sleep, or the reduced anxiety I experienced before) are really good.

Anastasia
01-25-14, 10:51 AM
I should start saving these articles I read! I wish I had it now.

It was about sleep and a.d.d, saying a lot of the a.d.d population feel like the op, including myself.

Our circadian rhythm (not sure about that) or something in us differs from the non-a.d.d person. Saying there is a valid reason for feeling this way.

After 2 or 3pm, I'm ready to go. I imagine this is what others feel in the morning. I have heard of, and at times have felt a decrease in depression symptoms around this time as well.

Sometimes I have wondered, if the day ahead just feels too overwhelming for me that early in the morning. May be later on I begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Like its a task, and its half done now.

Well, now that s****! I just realized that leads me back to depression doesn't it, If the day is perceived a task? :eyebrow:

I don't know where this post is going, but I feel the same way. May be I should go back to bed, and test this hypothesis, for the sake of science of course. I'll put on a lab coat. :p

Fraser_0762
01-25-14, 11:02 AM
Nights peaceful. I can focus on whatever I want and there's nobody around to ridicule me for doing my own thing at my own pace.

Day time, everything around me feels "busy". I'm overwhelmed by that and I shut down. There's too much frustration and arguements when I try to associate with people during the day. Day time, everybody is my worst enemy.

Thales
01-25-14, 11:35 AM
I can totally relate! When I don't have classes my sleep schedule slips to all too easy to 2pm-5am. It would be worse if I let it. I have had very few 9am classes the past year. Most were 11am or 2pm classes. Especially the latter don't encourage a normal schedule. A couple of years ago I managed a 7am-3am for months. My sleeping patterns are quite disturbed anyway. I don't get jet lags (which is a good thing).

I am not sure if we could be nocturnal (while still functioning in the society we live in), but it would definitely suit me better. When I have class, I try to sleep at a human time. What works for me is to read until my eyes get tired. Usually I am calm enough and tired enough to sleep when my eyes get tired. Yes, that may occassionally take a couple of hours.

I am currently trying to figure out my pain meds and the first week (on a dosage too high for long term use) I could SLEEP during the night. I could WORK during the day. Seriously, my schedule was suddenly 9am-12am, for the whole week. I never felt so normal in my entire life! And now on other meds my schedule is a mess again. I feel awful. Now I know it is possible to sleep like a normal person it hits me only harder that I cannot. I would rather die a couple of decades earlier if that could give me some more quality of life. Some side effects (the sleep, or the reduced anxiety I experienced before) are really good.Can't edit anymore, but I messed up the schedule times (time asleep vs. time awake). Corrected it here.