View Full Version : adderall for depression

needingadvice
12-19-13, 11:38 AM
I'm not diagnosed with ADD but I've been on adderall for 5 1/2 years now due to no motivation and being tired constantly and I guess depression. my dose has been 30mg 2x day for 5 1/2 years so of course my body has built a tolerance to This dose but can't seem to get my primary doctor to increase the dosage. I have even switched doctors once and yes I have tried other medications such as Vyvanse and adderall xr Dexedrine and Ritalin...I always go back to adderall because it's the one that works best for me. I noticed when I don't take it it does mess with my focus and could sleep ALL day!

so to function on a daily basis I need more Than 30mg....so I end up short every month. it also helps with my depression and yes I have been on and off several different depression medications the last 5 years I am NOT currently on a depression medication just taking adderall and I feel better with just the adderall and my mind motivation and focus is a lot clearer. I tried adding wellbutrin150 mg Sr but it seem to make me sleepier which doesn't make much sense. In need of some advice, any advice is welcome. I'm so sick and tired of dealing with this every month.

sarahsweets
12-19-13, 01:35 PM
One of the reasons your PCP will not authorize a higher dose is because you are on the highest recommended adult dose. For ADHD the recommended daily max is 40mg for Narcolepsy it is 60mg There are some people who do better on higher doses but they are the rare cases.

needingadvice
12-19-13, 02:07 PM
I know that's the highest recommended Dosage I've seen and know of people that:faint: are on and prescribed higher doses. So I guess I'm just outta luck ??

needingadvice
12-20-13, 12:15 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions??

Possum
12-20-13, 06:53 PM
I too suffer from depression and my p-doc prescribes 70mg/day adderall for me. I take this in two divided doses of 2 20mg caps XR at 8am, followed by 1 30mg tab IR around 2pm. Wellbutrin did nothing for me either, BTW. I have noticed that when I'm having a more difficult time than usual with my depression, I can get better relief by taking 1 20mg XR and breaking the 30 mg IR in half and taking that with the XR capsule each time. If I can manage it, I take mini-vacations from my adderall on weekends (I mostly sleep), and this helps some with the tolerance thing.

Every time I see my p-doc, she asks if I can't get by with less than 70mg. I tell her that actually, I feel like I need a dosage closer to 80 or 90mg. She laughs at me, but at least doesn't reduce my current dosage which I've been on for 3 years now. I know that a few p-docs are willing to prescribe larger amounts, but none of them is in practice around here. Do you live in an urban area or close to one? If so, you might discreetly see if it's possible to find a p-doc who is willing to prescribe more agressively for your depression/ADHD. I once had a p-doc who was a resident at University Hospital in Denver - the teaching hospital for the University of Colorado Med School. He was actually willing to take me up to 90 mg and his supervisory physician who was the dept head actually OK'ed that dose for my case. Alas, my young p-doc finally graduated with highest honors and accepted a place with a practice out of state. I cried when he told me he was leaving and I haven't found such a good p-doc since.

Good luck in your quest for treatment - it's not easy.