View Full Version : Strong Computer/Internet addiction

Twiggy
12-21-13, 04:14 AM
I'm very strongly addicted to the Internet. 95% of my time is spent on the computer/internet.
How do I stop? I already tried stopping, but failed miserably. :(

It sucks since I stay at home and don't really do anything else (No friends and No real socialization with people face to face). I don't even have a job nor do I go outside that much.

dvdnvwls
12-21-13, 04:19 AM
Hi Twiggy...

What ways of stopping did you already try?

Twiggy
12-21-13, 12:06 PM
Hi Twiggy...

What ways of stopping did you already try?

I tried putting my computer away and not using it for at least a week, then hopefully a month. But that didn't work.

dvdnvwls
12-21-13, 01:11 PM
I suppose that would be because you got the computer out again (probably for some very good & necessary reasons) and then decided to also just do one more thing... which turned into all day again... That makes sense.

Well, why would you want to stop anyway? If this really is forming 95% of your life at the moment, wouldn't "just stopping" be a pretty big shock? And leaving yourself with nothing to do for 95% of the time is pretty pointless.

I think you should just continue on the computer until you do actually have something else to do. And then when you do have something else to do, then you should go do that.

Since you say you don't really have any friends or socializing, you may need to start. It's much more intimidating thinking about social stuff than doing it. The more you sit and think about those things, the scarier they might seem - but when you're really there at the time, it's OK.

DichotOhMy
12-21-13, 04:57 PM
These days, I spend around 4-6 hours every day on the computer and think that's too much. In the past, especially if depressed, I'd find it all too easy to spend around 90% of my time on the computer as well. With the internet and/or video games, there's an endless-potential for instant gratification and stimulation that makes these things very appealing to the ADHD brain.

The solution I've found to wasting time on the computer is to cultivate other interests and past times. Of course, this is easier said than done and is so individual that only you will know how to do it. Another thing I do is trying to keep "necessities" like checking email or banking to my phone, because while it's all too easy to get sucked in to the computer when you're just getting on with the intention to check email, it's harder to get sucked in to an internet tangeant on my phone.