View Full Version : So....first post

Michio
12-27-13, 01:34 PM
Hey y'all. Seen this forum a few times while surfing the web and figured I'd join up. Sorry if I'm in the wrong sub-forum, but this seemed the most relevant to my question when I was looking for where to post.

Now that I've been proscribed ritalin and concerta, I can actually think for once. It is so relieving to be able to finally think and be able to concentrate and focus and take in details and remember what I learn! Converse to this ability to actually work properly, when I'm off my medication, I notice how much the ADD affects my without my meds and it is beyond aggravating to be unable to think properly. It's like I have no mental filter without it and my thoughts can't stay on just one path, they have to diverge into a hundred different sub-considerations to what I'm thinking about.

To those of you who use medications to help handle your ADD: do you use it when on break? I was told by my doctor to not even take a break from in on weekends. Apparently ritalin is sort of a brain-training drug that helps your brain learn to focus on just one task at a time, and it's been working really well for that, but I don't want to use the stuff on break because I don't want to build up a tolerance to my meds or develop some kind of dependency, which I think I'm starting to to, honestly.

Do you take a break from medications when on break from school/work? I thought about it but I've heard that you aren't supposed to have an on-off relationship with things like ritalin and concerta. On the other hand, I know that ritalin is sometimes proscribed as a "take it as you need it" sort of drug, where it is just taken before things like tests, study sessions, etc.

Also: if you don't, do you do anything to relax? I've been actually banned like videogames (during a steam sale too! :eek: ) because if I play them they might "train my brain" the wrong way.

BatBowey
12-28-13, 10:19 AM
Hi Michio! Welcome to the Forum.

I'm using my Concerta and Ritalin without taking breaks. Because if i do it's like back to zero. Like my body and brain has to readjust to the medication (mainly the appetite problem). But imo. Take a break from it if you want to. You shouldn't be forced to use your medicine. :)

Michio
12-28-13, 05:26 PM
I'd agree, but since my doctor told me to not stop using it and did so very specifically, I can't help but think that there must have been a reason. Can anybody think of a reason that it wouldn't be safe to stop taking it?