View Full Version : Rage episodes

BellaVita
12-29-13, 04:03 AM
Curious to know how long you all rage at a time, on average.

I was reading a website, where it said that rage episodes lasting over 15 minutes in children at a time tend to point towards bipolar rather than ADHD or something.

I thought, 15 minutes? That's nothing!

I have gone on unstoppable rages for hours and hours on end as a child

(They tried me on Seroquel and such because of this - didn't work turned me into a zombie)

Honestly they aren't *as* common for me now, now though I think they *do* last a bit longer, but not constantly severe.

How are you all affected?

sarahsweets
12-29-13, 04:47 AM
My rage episodes are few and far between and are usually triggered by something in combo with the BP but when they happen watch out.

Abi
12-29-13, 04:55 AM
My rage episodes only began in my early twenties.

They last at minimum 5 or so days. They can last upto 6 months.

Abi
12-29-13, 04:58 AM
Since around late 2012, by which time I had stabilised my dosage of Depakote to 300mg tid and Wellbutrin to 150mg SR bid, the rage episodes are less in frequency, length and intensity.

Daydreamin22
12-29-13, 05:18 AM
Bella, it could be that there was another aggrivating factor in your life, and now that it’s gone you don’t have a reason to be that angry anymore. IDK, I might be projecting, because I taught with a lady who was a narcissist and I couldn’t take it. I blew up at my fam instead of her. And actually this forum.

Hate bringing that up, really feel soo bad anyone who reads this. Love it here. Astonished about how people welcomed me back after bpii diagnosis. So anyway, because of this Narcissist that I couldn’t get away from, after getting mad ab adderall on here, I ran away to Kentucky to get away from everything and turned my cell off.

It was a Bipolar comedown apparently, but I think it was 20x worse because I was the center of attention in this narcissists life and… I can write a book about it. I was beyond hopeless. I’ll stop there. But, anyway, yes I have wrath, no one deserves the wrath, I can’t stand it.

It is never as bad as the time I just described. That was so bad bc of trauma from this narcissist.

My anger is mostly 15 mins I’d say (although I lose all sense of time). It comes ab ones every two weeks. I am not proud that I reamed out my ex. (don’t judge me) I can see how I could have gotten the same message across in a nice classy paragraph looking back.

So anyway, do you think that could be what the childhood rages were about?

Once I through the books in my bookshelf on the floor. Then my mom made me put them back in.

dvdnvwls
12-29-13, 07:09 AM
I think it's not a legitimate "super-long rage episode" when what's actually happening is that you are getting triggered 745 times per day. Your rage episodes are not long at all. That's my point of view. If you don't escape from your trigger then don't be surprised when it keeps triggering you.

fracturedstory
12-29-13, 07:13 AM
I'm a sprinter, as opposed to an endurance runner. It has to do with energy levels, focus and emotions. I'm a rapid cycler of my moods. When I rage it's so intense I'm left shaking and usually crying. I would do damage to myself and others if it lasted more than a few minutes. I have had on/off rages throughout a day.

I think if I rage for 6 months or more I would either be arrested or put in hospital. The type of thoughts this mind thinks up. Very anti-social stuff.

Abi
12-29-13, 08:54 AM
Fractured, have you considered the possibility of borderline personality disorder as opposed to bipolar?

BellaVita
12-29-13, 05:52 PM
Bella, it could be that there was another aggrivating factor in your life, and now that itís gone you donít have a reason to be that angry anymore. IDK, I might be projecting, because I taught with a lady who was a narcissist and I couldnít take it. I blew up at my fam instead of her. And actually this forum.

Hate bringing that up, really feel soo bad anyone who reads this. Love it here. Astonished about how people welcomed me back after bpii diagnosis. So anyway, because of this Narcissist that I couldnít get away from, after getting mad ab adderall on here, I ran away to Kentucky to get away from everything and turned my cell off.

It was a Bipolar comedown apparently, but I think it was 20x worse because I was the center of attention in this narcissists life andÖ I can write a book about it. I was beyond hopeless. Iíll stop there. But, anyway, yes I have wrath, no one deserves the wrath, I canít stand it.

It is never as bad as the time I just described. That was so bad bc of trauma from this narcissist.

My anger is mostly 15 mins Iíd say (although I lose all sense of time). It comes ab ones every two weeks. I am not proud that I reamed out my ex. (donít judge me) I can see how I could have gotten the same message across in a nice classy paragraph looking back.

So anyway, do you think that could be what the childhood rages were about?

Once I through the books in my bookshelf on the floor. Then my mom made me put them back in.

If I remember correctly, they weren't about anything in particular.

I just got heavily upset at everything.

And would scream and cry and throw things and break things for hours on end

I would end up in my room. And punished severely.

BellaVita
12-29-13, 05:54 PM
I think it's not a legitimate "super-long rage episode" when what's actually happening is that you are getting triggered 745 times per day. Your rage episodes are not long at all. That's my point of view. If you don't escape from your trigger then don't be surprised when it keeps triggering you.

For these particular episodes though, I don't recall ever being triggered...I really think I was upset with no cause.

Although I'm guessing I had to be triggered by something?

purpleToes
12-29-13, 07:48 PM
For these particular episodes though, I don't recall ever being triggered...I really think I was upset with no cause.

Although I'm guessing I had to be triggered by something?

Was there an adult figure in your life who responded to problems with tantrums or rages?

BellaVita
12-29-13, 07:50 PM
Was there an adult figure in your life who responded to problems with tantrums or rages?

Yes....

mirandatoritess
12-29-13, 07:55 PM
If people keep on bothering me, an hour. However, I have more stress than anger. When I am angry, I tend to lash out a people physically. I fought a lot in grade school. I get tired after being mad, and I tend to sleep.

Spacemaster
12-29-13, 08:25 PM
I usually have ragey days, where I'll have outbursts all day. The outbursts usually last at least 15 minutes, maybe longer. I have a feeling that PMDD may play a part in mine.

fracturedstory
12-30-13, 01:38 AM
Fractured, have you considered the possibility of borderline personality disorder as opposed to bipolar?

Yes I have and it doesn't seem to fit. My moods cycle one into the other and are not randomly triggered. I assume a personality disorder is something that is always with you, an overall personality. However, I could have both.

Rapid cycling does exist though and just because I don't fit all snuggly into the criteria doesn't mean I don't have bipolar. If anything it's a drug triggered bipolar that's closely connected with PMDD so it's probably different than what most people go through.

Anyway, I'm not going to say I have borderline until I am diagnosed with it. Otherwise it messes with my head.

Like I said I'm a sprinter in everything I do, from attention to energy levels to emotions.

Now please no one mention I could have borderline again because you may trigger me. I know you mean well but it doesn't help.

Raven Poe
12-30-13, 10:42 PM
When I was a kid I had short and long rages. Sometimes it was for nothing other times there was a reason.
I will tell you something I did when I was 9. I was upset over something I do not recall (probably no good reason), I laid on the hallway floor in our house so no one could pass, screaming hysterically and I eventually tore my nightgown I was wearing down the middle-literally!
I can recall my sister asking my grandma what was wrong and my grandma saying "she is crazy that's what's wrong".
Thinking about it now it is sort of comical though sad.
As an adult I still rage quite often. And the duration still varies sometimes it can last hours while others 5 minutes. I have a bad temper and am quite an aggressive person who once or twice a season gets physical in the midst of my rage, a very very bad behavior.
I also have what is called premenstrual dysphoric disorder and it makes things worse
About 10 days before I menstruate I become an unpleasant, aggressive, and the list goes on and on person. Sometimes I wish I was rich so I could take a vacation every month before I menstruate as it is really hard to be around me, hell I can't even be with myself on those days.

janiew
12-31-13, 01:13 AM
Rage? What is that?

For me, it's pretty short-term due to my attention span. But I can be verbally abusive when provoked.

Most people who know me are amazed at my ability to forgive and forget. Which is fine with me as long as I take care of myself...

Daydreamin22
12-31-13, 03:46 AM
If I remember correctly, they weren't about anything in particular.

I just got heavily upset at everything.

And would scream and cry and throw things and break things for hours on end

I would end up in my room. And punished severely.

Maybe it wasn't your problem... and you were just getting punished too hard. The treatment may have been the aggravating factor that made you soo mad. Being put in harsh and inconsiderate or powerless situations. just speculating/analyzing.

BellaVita
12-31-13, 04:09 AM
Maybe it wasn't your problem... and you were just getting punished too hard. The treatment may have been the aggravating factor that made you soo mad. Being put in harsh and inconsiderate or powerless situations. just speculating/analyzing.

You know what....you may be right.....

:scratch:

Daydreamin22
12-31-13, 04:38 AM
You have such a good heart/character. I'm no dr and don't know the whole story, but if so it happens to the best of us. I actually saw a few articles about that. It's a great website and the articles are sooo helpful. I just descovered it yesterday and huge fan. It's like not having to pay or schedule for a dr. They're all dr's. If you want I can pm to you... or post whichever.