View Full Version : Trouble with Writing & motivation under pressure

KiwiSoul
01-01-14, 07:56 PM
I'm new here, and I've been formally diagnosed with ADD since 6th grade, and depression/anxiety since I started highschool, and since then I've made a lot of progress in my organization habits and those general things like agenda books, figured out a successful way to get my homework done (a process i like to call bait-and-switch, it's nice to make a game out of it), and found some good medications. I don't have trouble paying attention in school. I don't have trouble focusing, and I've found that I work better in groups than by myself. Brainstorming is easy for me, and I've mastered the art of outlining.
However, it's the day before I return to school from winter break, and I have three over-due papers that are unfinished.

I used to be wonderful at writing. However, whether or not it's due to medication or not, over the years I've had an increasing inability to be able to write properly. It doesn't matter if I want to write or not, suddenly I feel this intense pressure on myself that makes it impossible to craft a single sentence without thinking it over. I know it's psychological because I'm not having trouble typing this, but I just don't know what to do. I'm taking Honors English and AP U.S. history, two courses that I love, but require a lot of writing. But I'm struggling to turn in assignments in on time because of this difficulty with writing. I'm a junior now, i'm done switching around my medications. I'm sick of having issues. I'm sick of having accomadations. Extra time just makes me put things off. I'm sick of people telling me that I'm struggling because I have ADD or because I'm taking hard classes, or I push myself too hard. I know I'm smart, and I know it's possible to take the classes I do. Other kids with ADD or even without but with entirely different problems I don't have manage to get through writing papers just fine.
I'm frusterated with the people trying to help me because they never seem to give me an actual answer to my problem, only refer back to the usual ADD tool-kit of organization and planning.
I really want some advice for writing, or a format, or something I can do myself to help me put words on a page. Like how to make writing less intimidating, or to loosen myself up and let the words flow. Or how to break down writing into steps to make the process look less intimidating. Stress demotivates me, and if anyone has a way to motivate oneself under pressure, I'd really appreciate it!

mischaelman
01-01-14, 10:51 PM
As someone who also struggles with writing I can sympathize.

On rough drafts of papers, try writing like you are talking. Just get the ideas out. Even if they're random. Then go back and do the formal writing. Once you have captured the ideas it's a lot easier. Do all of this in the same document, this way you can cut and paste and not worry about losing anything.

Trying to write a full paper without this causes great ideas get lost before I can get them out.