View Full Version : Attempting to reverse sleep apnea with diet and exercise.

avjgirsijdhtjhs
01-02-14, 06:06 PM
Everything below this sentence is a copy\paste from an email I just sent another member:

I just saw a thread about sleep. I have sleep apnea. I though I'd remembered seeing a while back that you said you have sleep apnea, so I search your posts for the word "apnea" and read 2 or 3 of them, and decided to shoot you a quick pm.

A few months ago, I saw "sleep apnea is a manifestation of the metabolic syndrome (http://www.neurosono.com.br/arquivos/1075346903.pdf)", and was like "!!!WOW!!! This is fixable, and I'm not doomed for life (have a CPAP machine, but am unable to sleep with it (stomach sleeper))???!!!

Anyway, I think there's a saying about how like unsolicited advice is rude, but I figured since there's a reasonable chance this might be worth it...

A little background info: five foot ten thirty year old guy who's weight has dropped as low as about ONE hundred and sixty pounds in the last few years, but who still has sleep apnea (Jack Kruse says that the root cause of sleep apnea is elevated inflammatory cytokines interleukin-6 and TNF-alpha - supposedly these inflame the throat and make it hold more water, and thus make is more susceptible to collapse - also, these cytokines are secreted by visceral fat, do you know the difference between subcutaneous and visceral fat? If not, look it up. So basically, what I'm doing is trying to do is lose visceral fat to get rid of my OSA).

Okay, so I've been reading voraciously about metabolic syndrome etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, related stuff the last few months and it looks like things that help are...

1 - LCHF ketogenic diet

2 - HIIT (high intensity interval training)

3 - This stuff I'm copy\pasting from an email I sent to someone else to pique their interest:

She approached the problem from a different angle than most. Curious to find out why regular exercise does not appear to compensate for the negative effects of prolonged sitting, her research focused on finding out what type of movement is withdrawn by sitting. What she discovered was astounding. She found it is the change in posture that acts against gravity that is the most powerful, in terms of having a beneficial impact on your health. Regularly standing up from a seated position was in fact found to be more effective than walking! ----------------------------------- Based on double-blind research conducted by Dr. Vernikos, the minimum number of times you need to interrupt your sitting in order to counteract its cardiovascular health risks is in the neighborhood of 35 times per day. Interestingly, and importantly, her research also shows that sitting down and standing up repeatedly for 35 minutes does NOT have the same effect as standing up once, 35 times over the course of the entire day. In order to be effective, the activity needs to be spread out. This helps explain why vigorously exercising a few times a week still isn’t enough to counteract the ill effects of daily prolonged sitting. ---------------------------------- One of the key postural techniques Esther teaches is how to maintain a J-spine. Conventional advice tells you to “tuck in your pelvis,” which results in an S-shaped spine. This also causes you to you lose about a third of the volume in your pelvic cavity, which squishes your internal organs, compromising their function. <----------- from an article on mercola.com titled "The Importance of Intermittent Movement for Longevity" (the title of the browser tab for the page is titled "What Makes Sitting So Detrimental to Your Health?" though)

article two:

The other thing is that when I say ‘Stand up,’ then you say, ‘Okay, standing is the opposite of sitting.’ No, standing is not the opposite of sitting, because sitting continuously is bad for you, and standing continuously is bad for you. The body is not designed to respond to square waves. Any retail employee will tell you that they suffer all kinds of consequences of many hours of standing on the job. Even nurses have known this for years: standing on the job is not good for you It’s about interrupting the sitting. The interrupting the sitting is not necessarily walking; it is the change in posture [that matters]. ------------------------------ It’s not how many hours of sitting that's bad for you - it’s how often you interrupt that sitting that is GOOD for you --------------------------------- the changes in bone and muscle that occur here on Earth in one year’s time–approximately one percent loss of bone or one percent loss of muscle–occur in just one week to one month when you’re in space? Incredibly, you get close to a 10-fold acceleration of the aging process when you live in a gravity-free environment! ------------------------------ sitting - Standing up once every hour was more effective than walking on a treadmill for 15 minutes for cardiovascular and metabolic changes ---------------------------------- squatting is an extension of standing. If you squat and stand, you can get the maximum benefit of working against the force of gravity. By adding jumping to it (going from a squat to a jump, landing into a squat again), you end up with about 6.5 G’s. ------------------------------ They both believe non-exercise activities are more important than regular exercise programs, but ideally you would do both. Dr. Vernikos states: “Yes, it’s my belief that the non-exercise activities are the foundation of your body tuning and your health, and more important than regular exercise,” she says. “Regular exercise is the next step. You build on the foundation.”
-------------------------------- Interestingly, lipoprotein lipase is dramatically reduced during inactivity, and increases with activity, the most effective activity being, you guessed it, standing up from a seated position. Lipoprotein lipase is an enzyme that attaches to fat in your bloodstream and transports it into your muscles to be used as fuel. So essentially, simply by standing up, you are actively helping your body to burn fat for fuel. ------------------------------------
In order to determine why regular exercise does not appear to compensate for the negative effects of prolonged sitting, some of her research focused on finding out what type of movement is withdrawn by sitting. What she discovered was as revolutionary as it was counterintuitive. Not only did she discover that the act of standing up is more effective than walking for counteracting the ill effects of sitting, the key is how many times you stand up. It’s actually the change in posture that is the most powerful signal, in terms of having a beneficial impact on your health, not the act of standing in and of itself. Put another way, the key to counteract the ill effects of sitting is to repeatedly interrupt your sitting. The key is frequent intermittent interactions with gravity. Standing up 35 times at once will provide only a small percent of the benefit of standing up once every 20 minutes. <----------- from an article on mercola.com titled "Sitting Kills, Moving Heals" (the title of the browser tab for the page is titled "Why Sitting Kills While Moving Heals" though)

avjgirsijdhtjhs
01-02-14, 07:43 PM
Well I guess that first off, I'll start off with a disclaimer, with it being: I'm VERY new to this, so I might be wrong on some of this stuff.

Pulse Oximeters (a little device that clips on the tip of your finger) with recording ability can be helpful in figuring out whether you've got apnea or not. They can pretty much rule in apnea, but supposedly, they can't rule it out, since it's possible to have cessations in breathing without having much of a drop in O2 saturation percent (see next paragraph).

I ordered the cheapest recording pulse oximeter that I could find (the Contec CMS50D+ (<------ note the plus symbol) for $44.29 shipped) about a week and a half ago and got it yesterday. In the afternoon and early evening, both yesterday and today, and having not eaten any food so far that day on each day, my O2 saturation percent number while sitting at the computer was always either 98 or 99 during the few couple minutes or so long periods of time I used it, and even during several 45 second breath holds, my O2 saturation percent number never went below 98, and sometimes stayed at 99 before, during, and in the few seconds following the breath hold. Also, later last evening during the few couple minutes or so long periods of time I used it, and after having eaten at least one meal so far that day, my O2 saturation percent numbers were a little lower - more like 95 and 96, and maybe as low as 94, and as high as either 97 or 98, and when I did a few 45 second breath holds, my O2 saturation percent numbers still wouldn't drop by more than one.

I should also note that:

1 - purposely wiggling my finger in the oximeter does NOT make the O2 saturation number suddenly go up or down (not even a change of as little as one percent O2 saturation), or cause anomalies in the heart rate monitor function (although my heart rate is always slightly varying).

2 - Removing my finger from the light beam IMMEDIATELY causes the screen with my O2 saturation and pulse rate to disappear, and a "finger out" error on the screen.

From what I recorded last night, as displayed on the included software (http://oi50.tinypic.com/avmsex.jpg), it looks like apnea might be my problem, although I'm not 100% sure.

Having to pee at night as an indicator of sleep disordered breathing (http://oi47.tinypic.com/2zp4105.jpg) (apnea, hypopneas, upper airway resistance syndrome).
------------------------------
What sleep apnea looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1QyJu9Zt4s

[quote=avjgirsijdhtjhs;1581344](and for some people, this won't ever be a problem for them, and they will be able to tolerate tons of carbs their entire life) that it might be very well worth looking into (maybe try YouTube first for a pretty passive way of (possibly) piquing interest and getting started on getting knowledgeable...

...go and YouTube up stuff like "LCHF", "Ron Rosedale", "Gary Taubes", "Peter Attia", "Stephen Phinney", getting keto-adapted, or go check out Jack Kruse's blog (and get your mind blown to shreds (so ridiculously over the top mind-blowing, and since he does make money on this, it's hard for me to know what to make of it, ie: Narcissistic cult leader taking advantage (https://www.google.com/#q=%22jack+kruse%22+BWBS) (money) of desperate people that are willing to try anything, or genius that is super helpful but wants reimbursement)), and... ...see what you think.

edit: And though using the word "prove" is going too far, maybe check out (page one of three) Eskimos Prove An All Meat Diet Provides Excellent Health Part 1 (http://www.biblelife.org/stefansson1.htm).

DichotOhMy
02-13-14, 01:48 PM
One very interesting lead I've read about as a cause of sleep apnea is the migration of bodily fluid from lower extremities to the upper body during sleep. This predictably causes slight swelling of the neck area, which leads to OSA. Unfortunately, the purported solution to this problem, which is more daytime activity on your feet to mitigate excess fluid collecting in the lower extremities in the first place, doesn't help for me. Nor does sleeping on an incline.

As for diet, I think anything that minimizes GERD is a good measure to take. On the other hand, there's not really a consensus on whether GERD irritates the upper airway and worsens OSA, or whether OSA creates a vacuum effect that sucks bile up the esophagus - thus creating a vicious cycle.

Also, unfortunately, I've noticed a correlation between aerobic exercise and severity of symptoms. I think a large part of this is because I can't effectively breathe through my nose with even a modest heart rate increase, and so must mouth breathe if I'm going to exercise at any sort of beneficial intensity. This irritates the throat, like smoking does, which leads to worse OSA symptoms. Begrudgingly, I accept that the benefits of exercise outweigh the benefits of being sedentary and sleeping a bit better.

silivrentoliel
12-06-14, 10:05 PM
I don't have the attention span to read all this, but I have OSA and thought it was interesting this was here :) nothing i do helps mine... except wearing my cpap machine... also means DH gets a good night sleep ;)