View Full Version : Sleep Hygiene for Those with AD(H)D- everyone's thoughts?

Lizzie80
01-04-14, 01:23 AM
I'm pretty stern about protecting my ability to fall asleep and then STAY asleep.

1) I run a fan. I need the white noise and the extra air.

2) I wear ear plugs. Hearos is the best brand I've found.

3) I don't skimp on quality linens and pillows. Cotton sateen sheets with a high thread count are SOOOOO comfy.

4) I sip on Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime tea to wind down.

5) I put on Aveeno Stress Relief lotion right before bed, on my hands. Moisturizing, with a soothing scent.

6) I spritz Aura Cacia Lavender Spray on my linens right before turning out the light, to give myself sleep aromatherapy. I love the scent of lavender, though.

7) I always sleep in a short-sleeved, mid-calf-length Land's End nightgown. Their cotton is the softest and feels much better than cheap nightgowns with low-grade cotton.

What are everyone else's tips regarding setting up yourself for quality sleep?

Nicksgonefishin
01-04-14, 01:32 AM
Being physical during the day and not drinking alcohol are very conducive to my sleep.

A good sexual release either alone or acompanied.

Snuggling with my pillow pet.

mischaelman
01-04-14, 12:17 PM
1. Going to bed and getting up at the same time each day. This isn't always possible, but it has made a huge difference.

2. Reading a book after I get into bed. Although I have books on my iPhone and MacBook, I prefer physical books with a small book light.

3. I put my iPhone on "Do Not Disturb." In case of emergency, a few numbers are allowed to ring through "Do Not Disturb" mode.

4. Shutting the door to my room helps block noise and light.

5. Keeping water, kleenex and cough drops next to my bed. If I need them I don't have to get out of bed. This makes it easier to go back to sleep if I need them after falling asleep.

ginniebean
01-04-14, 01:45 PM
I'm pretty stern about protecting my ability to fall asleep and then STAY asleep.

1) I run a fan. I need the white noise and the extra air.

2) I wear ear plugs. Hearos is the best brand I've found.

3) I don't skimp on quality linens and pillows. Cotton sateen sheets with a high thread count are SOOOOO comfy.

4) I sip on Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime tea to wind down.

5) I put on Aveeno Stress Relief lotion right before bed, on my hands. Moisturizing, with a soothing scent.

6) I spritz Aura Cacia Lavender Spray on my linens right before turning out the light, to give myself sleep aromatherapy. I love the scent of lavender, though.

7) I always sleep in a short-sleeved, mid-calf-length Land's End nightgown. Their cotton is the softest and feels much better than cheap nightgowns with low-grade cotton.

What are everyone else's tips regarding setting up yourself for quality sleep?

Seven step process? Holy cow! Not a chance in hell could I complete that.

I do like my sheets ironed and mostly do so. Then I get tired and hop myself between them and pass out. My quality of sleep has more to so with how I wake up which is usually, open eyes, jump out of bed without entertaining the question of "Am I still tired"? And then not being Able to get back to sleep.

It's 5 am??? It's going to be a long day. Thank you impulsivity.

Although, and this is a new phenomena for me, a couple of times in the past months I've woken up and wanted to stay in bed. Boggle.

dvdnvwls
01-04-14, 03:22 PM
I am not happy with all aspects of my life.

But this one I can live with.

My bedtime process:

1. Move any unwanted items off the bed.
2. Lie down.
3. Zonko. :)

But I think the most helpful and important tip for "sleep hygiene" is a simple one: get up at the same time every day, regardless of weekends and holidays.

DichotOhMy
02-13-14, 01:36 PM
1. White noise is essential to calming me down enough to do something boring like sleeping.

2. I wear ear plugs every single night because I hear everything.

3. Ceasing caffeine makes it much easier to go to bed around the same time every night.

4. Restricting blue light sources, either through blocking glasses or intentionally restricting electronic devices and household lighting, for about 2-3 hours before bed, makes a slight difference in encouraging sleepiness.

Everything else when it comes to sleep hygiene is a waste of time and effort for me. I honestly thing that sleep hygiene is a worthless suggestion for the most part - one parroted by doctors and others who have no creative ideas or empirical knowledge about sleep and ADHD.

sarahsweets
02-13-14, 08:06 PM
I am the sleep nazi. Years of insomnia and multiple sleep studies forced me to train myself. I go to bed in the same window of time (10p-12a) each night. I get up in the same window of time (4a-6a) No matter what. I have to be up early so thats not an issue for me. Even if I go to bed at 2 in the morning I still will wake up by 6. Its more important to me to get back on track and stay on track then it is to make up for sleep in the short term.

Blackstar
02-19-14, 12:35 AM
I am the sleep nazi. I go to bed in the same window of time (10p-12a) each night. I get up in the same window of time (4a-6a)

+1

I reckon it's best for sleep to go to bed and get up around the same time.

I have an alarm to go to bed if I'm focused on silly stuff. It can wait.

It's like the body has a set of clocks. The sleeps been good.

Blackstar
02-25-14, 05:34 AM
I found eating near bedtime kept me awake..

stef
02-25-14, 05:59 AM
-take off makeup and brush teeth, about 30 min before I really should be in bed
- be sure there are no clothes etc left on the bed (this wakes me up to put things away and inevitably I start thinking about work because there's usually a rejected outfit left on the bed, from early in the morning)
- try to turn off ipad
- if not tired, crochet until sleepy!

Fraser_0762
02-25-14, 07:10 AM
I just lie down and hope for the best. Sometimes i'll fall asleep with the sheet hanging off and my bed full of stuff.

Blackstar
02-28-14, 07:20 PM
some things that may help:

- wear orange glasses for an hour before bed and at night
- use an app that dims screens at night - like f.lux
- make your room dark

I don't really need them. Early to bed.. early to rise.. :)

Stevuke79
02-28-14, 09:47 PM
Tossing and turning until at least 3am. Works like a charm!

Mixic62
03-01-14, 01:55 PM
Another tip to stop mind from wandering and worrying: Count down from 10.000 minus 7 each time :P